Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Dec 2015, 21:58 (Ref:3596231)   #1
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 Supercar round moves from Homebush?

Lots of talk about moving from Homebush to Gosford or Eastern Creek or somewhere else.

The central Coast might have a good fan base, but where is everyone going to stay? and the transport is already at near capacity...

EC would be an underwhelming choice...

Canberra?
Old 7 Dec 2015, 23:07 (Ref:3596246)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is some media spin from some sections describing V8s looking to leave Homebush for Gosford.

Make no mistake - Homebush is not sustainable with or without Gosford.

After the failure on Homebush - why the NSW Government would want to lose more money on another street race is unknown.
Old 7 Dec 2015, 23:44 (Ref:3596255)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
There is some media spin from some sections describing V8s looking to leave Homebush for Gosford.

Make no mistake - Homebush is not sustainable with or without Gosford.

After the failure on Homebush - why the NSW Government would want to lose more money on another street race is unknown.
How have NSW government lost money?
Old 8 Dec 2015, 00:12 (Ref:3596264)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
How have NSW government lost money?
They haven't... the risks around the Homebush event are with V8SC Events.

While the NSW government has provided infrastructure & access to infrastructure, perhaps equally the payoff could be seen to be access on raceday to the working facility by corporate guests & ministerial types..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 Dec 2015, 00:40 (Ref:3596271)   #5
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
They haven't... the risks around the Homebush event are with V8SC Events.

While the NSW government has provided infrastructure & access to infrastructure, perhaps equally the payoff could be seen to be access on raceday to the working facility by corporate guests & ministerial types..
The economic return to Sydney was lower than estimates provided by the promoter when the NSW government invested $45million from 2009 to 2013. Bad investment.

Considering the event has continued to fall in terms of attendance and interest - I am not sure how the government is making money from this since 2014.

With all this money changing hands - I am not sure how V8SC is held more risk than the NSW Government.
Old 8 Dec 2015, 01:03 (Ref:3596276)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
The economic return to Sydney was lower than estimates provided by the promoter when the NSW government invested $45million from 2009 to 2013. Bad investment.

Considering the event has continued to fall in terms of attendance and interest - I am not sure how the government is making money from this since 2014.

With all this money changing hands - I am not sure how V8SC is held more risk than the NSW Government.
Sorry, the question was how have the NSW government lost money?
Old 8 Dec 2015, 01:26 (Ref:3596284)   #7
D.R.T.
Veteran

To understand Peckstar, you will need to research economic impact assessment & Cost/Benefit Analysis for Government investment/expenditure.
Old 8 Dec 2015, 01:40 (Ref:3596289)   #8
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's a photo gallery from 2009.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2009/12/02/...a-500-circuit/

There are a lot of grandstands that were not there this year......
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 8 Dec 2015, 01:50 (Ref:3596293)   #9
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Under the initial 5 year contract made by Cochrane and Ian Macdonald (see ICAC,Tiffany etc) V8SA could approach the state government to make up any "shortfall" which they did each year until 2013.This money was taken from ,ironically,a disaster relief fund.
At the time the current contract was signed V8SA were told they were no longer allowed to play in this money pit.It came as a major shock to people who knew the sums that they signed on again.
As well as direct payments to V8SA the government lost money because the economic benefits were a figment of the imagination.
Gosford would be no different although more likely to get funds because of its regional status although it is only an hours drive from Sydney.NRL and A League games at Gosford get smaller crowds than matches in Sydney and there is no reason to think V8's would be any more successful.
Old 8 Dec 2015, 02:00 (Ref:3596295)   #10
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the race goes ahead next year James Warburton's decision to renew the contract for 2014-2016 would have cost V8SA $12million in losses on the 3 events.Anyone going to the event(and I have been every day in all 7 years) knew it was in terminal decline well before that contract was signed.
Old 8 Dec 2015, 02:15 (Ref:3596296)   #11
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps it's time for the NSW Government to ruffle some feathers within the ARDC, to ensure a V8SC event will be successful at SMP? More big tellies, shade structures, improved public transport to and from the venue, knock some heads together to fix the parking, do whatever it takes to get the punters on board.

The season launch there was always a decent thing for what it was, well except for this year due to the obvious politicking.

Setting up and packing up the Homebush track costs time and money. Time and money that could be invested long term into something they already own.
Old 8 Dec 2015, 02:24 (Ref:3596299)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
To understand Peckstar, you will need to research economic impact assessment & Cost/Benefit Analysis for Government investment/expenditure.
oh, so what you are saying is that the benefit was not as much as hoped rather than it lost money
Old 8 Dec 2015, 02:25 (Ref:3596300)   #13
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
The ARDC have nothing to do with the Eastern Creek round except supply officials.It is run by V8SA.
T
Old 8 Dec 2015, 03:51 (Ref:3596318)   #14
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
If the race goes ahead next year James Warburton's decision to renew the contract for 2014-2016 would have cost V8SA $12million in losses on the 3 events.Anyone going to the event(and I have been every day in all 7 years) knew it was in terminal decline well before that contract was signed.
Are you seeing the amount of the loss for next year's event in your crystal ball?
Old 8 Dec 2015, 04:35 (Ref:3596320)   #15
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Here's a photo gallery from 2009.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2009/12/02/...a-500-circuit/

There are a lot of grandstands that were not there this year......

From the TV coverage it appeared that not very many people were there at all. Just a few, small clusters of people on the occasional corners.

I do admit I didn't watch all the filler so cant comment on how full the grandstands were.

Last edited by Muznik; 8 Dec 2015 at 04:40. Reason: me speak da englush bad
Old 8 Dec 2015, 04:51 (Ref:3596321)   #16
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
oh, so what you are saying is that the benefit was not as much as hoped rather than it lost money
The EIA gap is the lost money Pecky. They invested $45million for a return they didnt get.
Old 8 Dec 2015, 04:51 (Ref:3596322)   #17
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No support for the ACT?

To be honest, I can't see many of the teams being enthusiastic about the Central Coast but the other thing to think about long term (if V8SC has a future?) is the impact of the long, long awaited airport at Badgerys Creek.

I'm sure the airport will be a shot in the arm for that area and may make servicing a local track much easier
Old 8 Dec 2015, 05:11 (Ref:3596325)   #18
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think he is saying that the benefit was not as much as hoped therefore it lost money
Old 8 Dec 2015, 06:06 (Ref:3596331)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
I think he is saying that the benefit was not as much as hoped therefore it lost money
No, thats not the way it works.

If You give me $1 and I give you $1.10 back you have gained money, even if i promised you $1.20

It didnt lose money for the NSW government

Last edited by peckstar; 8 Dec 2015 at 06:13.
Old 8 Dec 2015, 06:41 (Ref:3596334)   #20
D.R.T.
Veteran

Try telling that to the banks with your next home loan payment

Pecky - you need to understand why a Government invests money - to get a certain return. They could have invested their money elsewhere for a better return - that is a net loss
Old 8 Dec 2015, 06:46 (Ref:3596335)   #21
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Try telling that to the banks with your next home loan payment

Pecky - you need to understand why a Government invests money - to get a certain return. They could have invested their money elsewhere for a better return - that is a net loss
Oh i see, you were stupid and thought the $1.20 was guaranteed, when it was clear from the beginning that there was risk.

The government knew this. No guarantee anything else was going to give a better return either. they try major events, sometimes they win and sometimes they dont, But thats what we ask them to do
Old 8 Dec 2015, 08:32 (Ref:3596348)   #22
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The event has been an unmitigated flop compared to how the original forecasts were hammered into us by V8SC management when the event was first announced

It is interesting that the same members on here who have pushed the events barrow since 2009, are still trying to defend now who it was that lost what money....

Quote:
The government knew this. No guarantee anything else was going to give a better return either. they try major events, sometimes they win and sometimes they dont, But thats what we ask them to do
I thought we were told by the Messiah, Mr Cochrane, right from 2009 that there was no risk, a V8 race at Homebush would be bigger than Ben Hur, the series would be swung even higher in the "order of Australian sport popularity"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa
Perhaps it's time for the NSW Government to ruffle some feathers within the ARDC, to ensure a V8SC event will be successful at SMP? More big tellies, shade structures, improved public transport to and from the venue, knock some heads together to fix the parking, do whatever it takes to get the punters on board.
The V8 race at SMP has nothing to do with the ARDC, i'm not sure why they would want to involve themselves in running a V8SC event anyway given its almost a guarenteed loss maker this days without significant government backing (which Homebush proves doesn't even help in Sydney's case)
Old 8 Dec 2015, 12:29 (Ref:3596402)   #23
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Putting the economics aside for just one moment, if the event were to disappear, I personally would feel it is a loss. The first few year I attended whilst living in Sydney were fantastic. Good racing, fans close to the track, good viewing at turn 1 (inside and outside), and outstanding facilities and public transport for a race track. No permanent circuit even comes close. Add to that the concerts, motor shows and V8SC paddock access, and it was a great day out, even in the pouring rain.

I think the circuit itself, drainage issues aside is adequate. Certainly a challenge and takes a lot of commitment and physical fitness from the drivers to get through the Sunday race in particular in a Sydney December summer. Plenty of changes to pass, into 1, 2, and at the Novotel. The fact that it punishes mistakes is a good thing, unless you happen to get punted off by a Wood/Tander/SVG type.

Really don't understand why so many people are so critical of the event and circuit - again, economics aside.

If you were to move the season finale to SMP it would be a 'nothing' event and public access there is woeful unless you can drive.
Old 8 Dec 2015, 23:18 (Ref:3596502)   #24
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
No support for the ACT?
Oddly, I'd sooner go to a Canberra round than a Gosford round. Good memories from the old Canberra round.
Old 8 Dec 2015, 23:23 (Ref:3596505)   #25
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No, thats not the way it works.

If You give me $1 and I give you $1.10 back you have gained money, even if i promised you $1.20

It didnt lose money for the NSW government
You're assuming they got $1.10. Got anything to back either of your statements up?