Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 25 Nov 2015, 13:55 (Ref:3593242)   #101
pantah
Racer

United Kingdom
pantah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown View Post
Are you sure that's not the frame number? 41 is indeed Texas Region but it's also the model of the car. Can you post (or send me) a picture of the number you've found?

(allen@oldracingcars.com)
Will do. Give me an hour or so...
Old 25 Nov 2015, 15:33 (Ref:3593263)   #102
pantah
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantah View Post
Will do. Give me an hour or so...
Just sending as PM right now....
Old 26 Nov 2015, 12:32 (Ref:3593452)   #103
pantah
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown View Post
Are you sure that's not the frame number? 41 is indeed Texas Region but it's also the model of the car. Can you post (or send me) a picture of the number you've found?

(allen@oldracingcars.com)
I sent you the photo - and I concur from other research that is the frame number. EG - one of the Hutchison cars had frame 41-FL-3 and chassis number 41C-FL-36. Interestingly a lot of other components on car (suspension) are stamped with numbers, some of which are on little plates similar to the frame number. I will email you a comprehensive list.

What we need to do is tie 41-FL-5 frame with its corresponding chassis number!
Old 28 Jan 2016, 08:03 (Ref:3608622)   #104
pantah
Racer

United Kingdom
Lotus 41 floors...

Just a question - are they all like this?
Attached Thumbnails
image1.JPG   image2.JPG  
Old 28 Jan 2016, 08:33 (Ref:3608625)   #105
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes. That was how they came from the factory. Many have lost these panels today because of different engines having been fitted, accident damage etc.
Old 28 Jan 2016, 23:53 (Ref:3608905)   #106
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another of the Hutchinson cars is in Australia , has been since 2003 .

This car is chassis number MK41 FL6 on the cross member behind seat which is also recorded in the old SCCA logbook .
Chassis plate states 41C-FL-38.
Old 16 Aug 2016, 03:23 (Ref:3665855)   #107
ccdynamo
Rookie

United States
USA
ccdynamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBlair View Post
Let me add another wrinkle to the 41 story, and the Gus Hutchison cars.

About 1976, I purchased a 41 Formula B that was purported to be an ex-Gus Hutchison car. The plate number was 69 41D 02 , supposedly #02 of two made to this spec. I have never seen another mention of a 'D' model, so hopefully there is someone who has chassis records somewhere that might provide clues. It was obviously a Formula B type, with much larger brakes and suspension from the Formula C 41 MAE model I had worked on in the Seattle area. @ Mike Gilbert - was the other F3 you mentioned Jim Dewey's car that he bought and raced a few times in the mid 70's ?

I bought the 41D from someone in the San Francisco area (sorry, don't remember the name - maybe Dave Ross?).

It had a twin-cam short block and a mis-matched HRE cylinder with the gigantic valves used, and an FT200 transaxle. It had sheet aluminum cockpit sides, a section of original bodywork top, a separate "sports car" style nose, similar to the Formula Atlantics of the mid 70s , and a large rear wing. It also came with a new untrimmed original body, and the original nose section with period correct stickers for the L&M Continental series. This may have had the winglets mentioned earlier, I truly don't remember.

The twin-cam could best be described as a collection of parts that didn't work with each other, so I sold them to another Lotus collector in the area. I purchased a Cosworth Formula B motor for the 41, and raced it for one season in our local club races in Seattle.

The car was sold without engine and transaxle to someone in the Seattle area who was planning to auto-cross it. He is still in the area and competing in SCCA solo events, so I hope I can connect and track down where this 41 went.
I have a 41D. Does anybody know how the D variant differs from the 41C?
Old 16 Aug 2016, 03:34 (Ref:3665859)   #108
BBlair
Rookie

United States
Des Moines WA, USA
BBlair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdynamo View Post
I have a 41D. Does anybody know how the D variant differs from the 41C?
Finally! Someone else who has or has seen a 41D. I would be interested in knowing the full chassis number.

My chassis had much larger brakes than any other 41 I had seen, and 6-lug bolt pattern for the wheels. It had a tubular section rear anti-roll bar, and was originally set up for a Lotus twin-cam with an FT-200 transaxle.
Old 16 Aug 2016, 03:44 (Ref:3665861)   #109
ccdynamo
Rookie

United States
USA
Quote:
Finally! Someone else who has or has seen a 41D. I would be interested in knowing the full chassis number.

My chassis had much larger brakes than any other 41 I had seen, and 6-lug bolt pattern for the wheels. It had a tubular section rear anti-roll bar, and was originally set up for a Lotus twin-cam with an FT-200 transaxle.
I'll retrieve the number on the plate shortly. My rear anti-sway bar is solid, not tubular, and the wheels are 6-lug.
Old 3 Sep 2016, 00:05 (Ref:3669317)   #110
ccdynamo
Rookie

United States
USA
Quote:

Finally got the unit number off the plate, says "Unit No 41 F3 26" Can email a pic if you'd like.
Old 5 Sep 2016, 15:03 (Ref:3670296)   #111
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Finally got the unit number off the plate, says "Unit No 41 F3 26" Can email a pic if you'd like.
Can I ask where the car is?
In the US?
If so, does it have a log book, or roll hoop stamp, or anything that would help us place the history.
According to my Lotus records 26 was originally an F3 car for the Ron Harris team.
Old 7 Sep 2016, 02:22 (Ref:3670663)   #112
ccdynamo
Rookie

United States
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
Can I ask where the car is?
In the US?
If so, does it have a log book, or roll hoop stamp, or anything that would help us place the history.
According to my Lotus records 26 was originally an F3 car for the Ron Harris team.
Yes US. No log book and the roll hoop was redone to SCCA specs in about 1973 so no original stamp. Body etc appears original, white and blue (#8?), red leather steering wheel and 12K rpm Chronometric tach. Suspension members are clearly marked 41D.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 21:42 (Ref:3671581)   #113
daveross
Rookie

daveross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lotus 41D #002/006

Dave Ross here. Yes, that was once my car - I sold it when I was in Palo Alto, CA, going to college. I bought it while living in m hometown (Bellevue), and took it down to CA with the silly idea that I would campaign it there. Turns out car racing and college aren't all that compatible.

You have an amazing memory, sir. I was just reminiscing about the car, did a google search which brought me to you post. Nice to connect after 40 years! It is very cool seeing photos of the car, with that funky blue/gray paint job I put on the sports car nose.

Dave

Quote:
Let me add another wrinkle to the 41 story, and the Gus Hutchison cars.

About 1976, I purchased a 41 Formula B that was purported to be an ex-Gus Hutchison car. The plate number was 69 41D 02 , supposedly #02 of two made to this spec. I have never seen another mention of a 'D' model, so hopefully there is someone who has chassis records somewhere that might provide clues. It was obviously a Formula B type, with much larger brakes and suspension from the Formula C 41 MAE model I had worked on in the Seattle area. @ Mike Gilbert - was the other F3 you mentioned Jim Dewey's car that he bought and raced a few times in the mid 70's ?

I bought the 41D from someone in the San Francisco area (sorry, don't remember the name - maybe Dave Ross?).

It had a twin-cam short block and a mis-matched HRE cylinder with the gigantic valves used, and an FT200 transaxle. It had sheet aluminum cockpit sides, a section of original bodywork top, a separate "sports car" style nose, similar to the Formula Atlantics of the mid 70s , and a large rear wing. It also came with a new untrimmed original body, and the original nose section with period correct stickers for the L&M Continental series. This may have had the winglets mentioned earlier, I truly don't remember.

The twin-cam could best be described as a collection of parts that didn't work with each other, so I sold them to another Lotus collector in the area. I purchased a Cosworth Formula B motor for the 41, and raced it for one season in our local club races in Seattle.

The car was sold without engine and transaxle to someone in the Seattle area who was planning to auto-cross it. He is still in the area and competing in SCCA solo events, so I hope I can connect and track down where this 41 went.
Old 11 Sep 2016, 04:28 (Ref:3671665)   #114
ccdynamo
Rookie

United States
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveross View Post
Dave Ross here. Yes, that was once my car - I sold it when I was in Palo Alto, CA, going to college. I bought it while living in m hometown (Bellevue), and took it down to CA with the silly idea that I would campaign it there. Turns out car racing and college aren't all that compatible.

You have an amazing memory, sir. I was just reminiscing about the car, did a google search which brought me to you post. Nice to connect after 40 years! It is very cool seeing photos of the car, with that funky blue/gray paint job I put on the sports car nose.

Dave
Possibly we're talking about different cars. My Lotus 41D #41-F3-26 still has what appears to be the original nose & body in white and blue (#8). We raced it a few times in Formula C in the 70-80's with MAE Cosworth only after we modified its roll bar to SCCA spec. So I don't think 41-F3-26 saw SCCA racing prior to this.
Old 13 Oct 2016, 11:17 (Ref:3679730)   #115
Rupertlt1
Racer

Rupertlt1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
USRRC Bridgehampton Formula B, 1967

There is a set of pics here that may help with this thread:

https://revslib.stanford.edu/?omit_k...utf8=%E2%9C%93

RGDS RLT
Old 10 Aug 2017, 03:59 (Ref:3758534)   #116
BBlair
Rookie

United States
Des Moines WA, USA
BBlair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Possibly we're talking about different cars. My Lotus 41D #41-F3-26 still has what appears to be the original nose & body in white and blue (#8). We raced it a few times in Formula C in the 70-80's with MAE Cosworth only after we modified its roll bar to SCCA spec. So I don't think 41-F3-26 saw SCCA racing prior to this.
I believe Dave Ross is talking about the 41D that I acquired (indirectly, as it included a swap for a Lotus Seven SCCA version) from him, and brought to Seattle.
Old 31 Dec 2017, 07:25 (Ref:3789939)   #117
4redno
Rookie

4redno should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lotus 41 up for sale at Bonhams Scottdale Auction on January 18, 2018

Link to auction lot is: http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24452/lot/110/

Description from auction is as follows:

1967 Lotus Type 41
Chassis no. 41FL29

1,558cc DOHC Inline 4-Cylinder Engine
2 Twin-Choke Weber Carburetors
Approximately 160bhp at 6,000rpm
5-Speed Manual Transaxle
4-Wheel Independent Suspension
4-Wheel Disc Brakes

*Desirable Lotus 41 single-seater
*Delivered new to Lotus Switzerland and G. Rollason
*Black exterior from new with Lucas Fuel Injected engine
*Powerful and eligible vintage Lotus

THE LOTUS 41

Introduced in 1966, the Lotus Type 41 reverted to a spaceframe chassis again after the monocoque Lotus 35. The spaceframe was stiffened with sheet metal diaphragms in the foot box, dashboard, rear of cockpit, gearbox area and under tray. The wheels were 13 inch 6-spoke cast-magnesium with 7-inch wheels at the front and 9-inch at the rear, while brakes were Girling discs fitted both front and rear. Lotus planned to build only 34 Type 41 chassis, but finally 61 were built. The 41 (FL) was used in various classes from 1966 to 1968, scoring a total of 55 victories, and arguably broke the dominance of Brabham at that time.

Drivers of the Lotus 41 racers included Piers Courage-who won 5 races and took the French Craven 'A' Championship-and his teammate Roy Pike who also scored a couple of victories. In the UK, Jackie Oliver took some wins and newcomers Derek Bell and Mo Nunn also showed well in the lithe and competitive single seater. In 1967, Gus Hutchison drove his Lotus 41 to 4 wins of 5 races in SCCA's Grand Prix Championship, which was the forerunner to the Formula Continental Championship established the next year. Impressively, Gus took the overall championship against F1 cars with larger 3-liter racing engines.

THE MOTORCAR OFFERED

The Lotus Type 41 offered here - chassis 41FL29 - was completed at Lotus in March of 1967. The 41 was finished in a sinister black color, equipped with a Hewland FT200 transaxle, and delivered to first owner G. Rollason and Lotus Switzerland. It is believed that 41FL29 was delivered with a Lotus Twin Cam engine, and raced in 1967 by the Midland Racing Team, mainly in the hands of Swiss driver, Walter Habegger. An internet search will come up with many black and white photos of a Lotus Type 41 at various events, most likely this very car. 41FL29 would later reside in France, before being exported to Japan in 2005. Now in BRG with a yellow stripe, this would be a fine entry to many vintage racing events.
Old 4 Jan 2018, 13:34 (Ref:3790620)   #118
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's lost the injection from the engine and now has a VW based Hewland rather than an FT200, selling at no reserve is pretty brave.
Old 17 Sep 2023, 21:35 (Ref:4177133)   #119
nirvanadream
Rookie

nirvanadream should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hello , I'd like to find for the 41 the frame paint matching original RAL used in period
thank you