Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 May 2013, 09:34 (Ref:3255902)   #551
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some more on the tyre situation from Adam Cooper, I suspect that this is going to end up as a political football between the FIA, bernie and the teams.

http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/05/31/a...teams-and-fia/
Old 31 May 2013, 10:46 (Ref:3255931)   #552
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pirelli press announcement live today http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/f1/f1webcast.html
Old 31 May 2013, 11:16 (Ref:3255944)   #553
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They'll probably announce a new deal, I hope not
Old 31 May 2013, 11:51 (Ref:3255951)   #554
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsTrecu View Post
They'll probably announce a new deal, I hope not
No defending their recent actions, nothing new really.
Old 31 May 2013, 14:13 (Ref:3256007)   #555
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just the old same... they didn't know about the rules...
Old 31 May 2013, 14:53 (Ref:3256019)   #556
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Pirelli plan more tests.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107784
Old 31 May 2013, 20:37 (Ref:3256146)   #557
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
The FIA have called both Mercedes & Ferrari in for information about the tyre tests they have recently carried out.

The plot thickens.......

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107799
Old 31 May 2013, 21:51 (Ref:3256171)   #558
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So the FIA allowed some tests but were not aware of what was being tested ?
I hope I'm wrong.
Old 31 May 2013, 23:55 (Ref:3256207)   #559
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
The FIA have called both Mercedes & Ferrari in for information about the tyre tests they have recently carried out.

The plot thickens.......

This sounds like the FIA playing politics to divert some of the heat off Mercedes.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 00:04 (Ref:3256208)   #560
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post

The plot thickens.......

We just knew that *Ferrari* had to be involved somewhere along the line..
Old 1 Jun 2013, 00:18 (Ref:3256215)   #561
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
We just knew that *Ferrari* had to be involved somewhere along the line..
So true. The FIA is now investigating the Ferrari secret test because of a protest lodged against Mercedes' secret test by Red Bull Racing and... Ferrari!

Who's not say it was Ferrari that let the cat out of the bag re the Mercedes secret test in the first place??
Old 1 Jun 2013, 00:21 (Ref:3256220)   #562
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From the information available, the Ferrari test was legit.

An older car with a non-front line driver.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 00:49 (Ref:3256234)   #563
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
So I show this link because I believe it's what we all want...

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ma...-the-greatest/

It talks about tyres, and racing, not that we have seen much of that recently in F1...

MotoGp down the road from me, that was a mind blowing experience...
Old 1 Jun 2013, 02:32 (Ref:3256256)   #564
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1 is nothing without those endless conspiracies theories...
Old 1 Jun 2013, 07:56 (Ref:3256283)   #565
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
From the information available, the Ferrari test was legit.
Not quite it seems.

"Article 22.1 of the sporting regulations: Track testing shall be considered any track running time not part of an event undertaken by a competitor entered in the championship, using cars which conform substantially with the current Formula 1 technical regulations in addition to those from the previous or subsequent year."

The current Ferrari is not 'substantially' different from the 2012 regulations, and according to that article, they are in breach of the 2013 technical regulations.

At first Ferrari had said they used the 2010 car, which would have complied to all technical regulations as it is 'substantially' different to the 2012/13 cars, but then they admitted they had in fact used the 2011 car.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 09:50 (Ref:3256336)   #566
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just shows what a numpty Davidson is. If he wasn't so interested in driving on the limit all the time, in an attempt to reach "perfection", maybe he wouldn't be running into the back of lap traffic in a 24 hour race.

Quote:
Motor racing should be about getting as close to perfection as it’s possible to get, on every lap.
Orly? I thought it was about winning.

Quote:
If the rules reward you for driving below your potential, then the best drivers in the world can’t demonstrate what makes them the best.
The best drivers in the world (the genuine ones) have more than one trick in the bag to distinguish themselves from pretenders like Davidson.

Quote:
That’s not what the world’s top class of motor racing should be about. It’s like making a rule at Wimbledon, that the rackets have to be no stronger than a certain limit. So the top seed can’t use all his strength to serve an ace in case he breaks his racket. The public won’t know the difference. But the best player won’t be able to show why he is the best.
Wtf is he dribbling on about? The best _______ in the world (the genuine ones) have more than one trick in the bag to distinguish themselves from pretenders.

Top level sport, of all kinds, seem to be more about winning ugly, rather than trying to be a full bore hero. Ironically, if motor racing was a Utopia created by what Davidson thinks it is, then all does is allow the best car a higher probability of winning. There will be no "grey area" for slightly lesser drivers/teams to exploit. Typically, the higher level the competition, the more likely you will be overwhelmed. Flat out, all the way is not overwhelming for the genuine top competitors.

Davidson's words "carry weight" do they? A guy who's driven 3 attempts a Le Mans with the factory Peugeot and Toyota, not got a podium, and been the instigator for 2 dnfs. As heavy as a helium filled balloon.

If he is reflection of the best talent the UK have to offer, then it's not surprising to me why UK motorsport, at the top level, has gone down the toilet the last decade or so.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 15:51 (Ref:3256446)   #567
jsTrecu
Veteran

Thats the news I don't want to read about...

Hankook rules out replacing Pirelli as F1 tyre supplier in 2014
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107817
Old 1 Jun 2013, 16:11 (Ref:3256455)   #568
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsTrecu View Post
Thats the news I don't want to read about...

Hankook rules out replacing Pirelli as F1 tyre supplier in 2014
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107817
Yes he explains why it's not possible to supply tyres for 2014 and the run up time required..

I have no problem with Pirelli being the supplier..I would just like to see a situation where they supply the tyres that they believe are correct for F1, without the FIA being involved in the process...

I don't like the "lets spice up the action" scenario, it just sounds contrived...
Old 1 Jun 2013, 17:31 (Ref:3256473)   #569
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the new regulations are we really going to need toilet paper tires to see better action?
For as much hate as Pirelli is getting right now, I've always thought that with the new regs things like drs and fall off a cliff tires would be rendered moot.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 18:07 (Ref:3256483)   #570
jsTrecu
Veteran

Quote:
Yes he explains why it's not possible to supply tyres for 2014 and the run up time required..

I have no problem with Pirelli being the supplier..I would just like to see a situation where they supply the tyres that they believe are correct for F1, without the FIA being involved in the process...

I don't like the "lets spice up the action" scenario, it just sounds contrived...
Yes I agree, I was thinking more in the dificulty of changing the current situation if Pirelli stays. Even if the FIA decide that they've broken some rule in the Mercedes testing, it'll be harder to punish them if you have no other choice than signing a new deal with them.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 18:14 (Ref:3256487)   #571
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
It seems unthinkable to me that with all the really *smart* people involved from Mercedes and Pirelli, that any rules have been broken ??
Old 1 Jun 2013, 18:38 (Ref:3256492)   #572
jsTrecu
Veteran

Well that's the answer we are waiting for. It could be anytihing really...
Old 2 Jun 2013, 14:42 (Ref:3256730)   #573
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It seems unthinkable to me that with all the really *smart* people involved from Mercedes and Pirelli, that any rules have been broken ??
But how many of those smart people have stretched or read the rules in their favor in the past thinking they were smarter than the FIA? And are Todt and company going to be ok with being Mercedes and Pirelli making them look foolish and incompetent? Something is bound to happen even if it's a financial penalty Mercedes could easily afford and a slap on the wrist for Pirelli.
Old 2 Jun 2013, 16:13 (Ref:3256744)   #574
jsTrecu
Veteran

So Hembery really is Johnny English ?
I was suspecting it since the very beginning

http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/06/02/p...ohnny-english/
Old 2 Jun 2013, 16:45 (Ref:3256750)   #575
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post

If he is reflection of the best talent the UK have to offer, then it's not surprising to me why UK motorsport, at the top level, has gone down the toilet the last decade or so.
Wow. You need to stop drinking that tonic water, it's obviously too bitter.

From memory (so probably inaccurate) 7 of the last 10 WDCs have been won by drivers in cars built in England.