Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 11 Jan 2009, 22:34 (Ref:2369641)   #1
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Priming a new engine with oil prior to starting...my way...

Other people don't seem to have a problem but for me getting oil round a new engine has always been nerve-wracking UNTIL NOW!!!
I don't know how others do it - and there may be an even easier way than this, if so, let others know please! I've been crossing my fingers for years....until now...
No-matter how well I get oil into every pipe, prime filter etc etc it has always been a heart-stopping too long before the oil pressure gauge shows when I'm turning over a new engine (without plugs of course but sometimes have to start it and God-help-us...actually rev the damnded thing). I just think the damage I could be doing until that healthy show on the guage, so I decided to do something about it this last build after the dreaded Ford Crossflow crank decided to part into 5 peices.. and it worked beautifully, instantly.

This is a 1600 common Kent with a dry-sump oil pump. With everything connected with the exception of the filter return connection to the pump (going straight into the engine), as much as you can primed (ie oil filter, 2/3 rds oil in tank,a bit down the push-rod holes etc) get yourself an extinguisher of the type you can charge with an airline (can't advise you from where, I found mine on a dump site...) it has a common tyre valve fitted, half fill it with oil, connect an oil pipe with the correct oil pump connection to the discharge pipe of the extinguisher and screw it on to the pump, pressurise the extinguisher with air, operate the extinguisher and turn the engine over at the same time, you'll have healthy pressure going round the engine immediately and within no time oil will be spurting from the unconnected filter pipe. Stop turning the engine over and release the extinguisher and disconnect. Re-connect the filter pipe and start your engine with the full knowledge that you have a healthy flow of oil. Lovely and easy.....

Hope you find a pump up extinguisher......
Old 11 Jan 2009, 22:44 (Ref:2369644)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Sounds like how an accusump works which I also use as a pre-oiler at all times. To initial get pressure up is very easy on the small block chevy just grind the gear teeth off an old dizzy and muller off the main body,connect up a drill and off you go but thats a good tip for engines that are not bleesed with this type of setup.
Old 11 Jan 2009, 23:40 (Ref:2369657)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Easy, just pressurise the dry sump tank ! Although I never have a problem with mine as I made sure that the tank outlet is above the pump inlet, Also I moved the tank up to the front so the inlet pipe was pretty short. This is on the 4 port pump and in a saloon not a single seater.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Jan 2009, 23:45 (Ref:2369660)   #4
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Yup, nice one dikko, you've come up with an Accusump from first principles, and probably cheaper than a real one :-)). If you're not into home made though, here's the commercial version and how to fit one... http://www.accusump.com/accusump.pdf/instructions.pdf
Old 12 Jan 2009, 22:09 (Ref:2370238)   #5
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Durrrrr, didn't know they existed!!!!! I'll get my coat...and my extinguisher!
Old 13 Jan 2009, 13:59 (Ref:2370612)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikko
Not so fast. An excellent and cheap idea for first priming, you would only need the Accusump if you are worried about lack of pressure on each start up and surge during cornering or braking.
Old 13 Jan 2009, 17:24 (Ref:2370747)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Absolutely they need charging by the engine oil pump first I will charge mine then lock it off by using the modified dizzy and a drill, I will then open the valve prior to first fire up to pre-oil again. They aint that cheap anyhow. I think your plan is good especially if like me you don't have a dry sump system like Gordon.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 10:53 (Ref:2371233)   #8
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikko
I wasn't being sarcastic. Sorry if it came across that way. Was just pointing out that there was a commercially available gizmo that did something similar cos some people aren't so good at rigging up their own system as others.