Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Dec 2011, 00:07 (Ref:2999488)   #1
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Off topic but a Christmas Season Service to Mankind who venture near Oxford Street -

Take Heart!!!! Christmas Season Service to Mankind....

Shopping in Oxford Street? Then arrange to meet Her Ladyship at the Wallace Collection off Hells Own Highway and be overcome with the most gorgeous range of beautiful engineering perfection you will ever see in one place. An Historic Racing Man can't fail to be impressed with Flintlocks and Muskets, suits of armour of THE most exquisite artistic flair, let alone a pretty damn good oil painting hanging.
You can also have a nice meal, glass of wine in a place where she would love to come back to!
Shopping made easy chaps! WWW.WALLACECOLLECTION.ORG
Old 14 Dec 2011, 22:59 (Ref:2999970)   #2
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to live right next to the Wallace Collection, in Spanish Place, for ten years!

Living on the third floor of an Edwardian mansion block (meaning I could look down on the Wallace Collection's roof), many's the time I fantasised about a long fishing rod, a length of fishing line, and a quick hoik to reel in a Canaletto or a Dutch Master from their collection!

Even back in the days when I lived there (when Marylebone was a lot quieter than it is now), the Wallace Collection was a real oasis of calm. And the best bit, is it was free to get in (is it still?), so you could pop in and take it in in small bits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikko View Post
Take Heart!!!! Christmas Season Service to Mankind....

Shopping in Oxford Street? Then arrange to meet Her Ladyship at the Wallace Collection off Hells Own Highway and be overcome with the most gorgeous range of beautiful engineering perfection you will ever see in one place. An Historic Racing Man can't fail to be impressed with Flintlocks and Muskets, suits of armour of THE most exquisite artistic flair, let alone a pretty damn good oil painting hanging.
You can also have a nice meal, glass of wine in a place where she would love to come back to!
Shopping made easy chaps! WWW.WALLACECOLLECTION.ORG
Old 14 Dec 2011, 23:24 (Ref:2999975)   #3
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts

Still free.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 15:11 (Ref:3000256)   #4
McMuttley
Racer

England
Bromley
McMuttley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
....if you get bored of all dat culture, there are some pleasant boozers in the vicinity
Old 15 Dec 2011, 15:28 (Ref:3000263)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We used to travel down to London by train, do the Christmas shopping, then head to one of the italian restaurants for pasta, red wine and coffee and cognac. Then a taxi to Euston, the train and an early night. Then we got married.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 17:17 (Ref:3000332)   #6
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
We used to travel down to London by train, do the Christmas shopping, then head to one of the italian restaurants for pasta, red wine and coffee and cognac. Then a taxi to Euston, the train and an early night. Then we got married.
I do hope it was Grande Champagne premier cru cognac like we produce here in Graves.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 17:22 (Ref:3000336)   #7
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's always 'up' to London.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 17:46 (Ref:3000352)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not when one is in the home counties dear boy.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 20:58 (Ref:3000447)   #9
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking as a inhabitant of God's Own County, the Garden of England, I have to say that I travel up to London, and down to Kent. I think this nomenclature dates back to the development of the railways in Victorian times, when the convention became established that all trains to London, wherever their origins, were considered to be 'up' trains.
Old 16 Dec 2011, 11:23 (Ref:3000719)   #10
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Clive is right. I understand it's always 'up' to the Capital. Not sure about Kent being God's own county as we in Yorkshire think we have that honour.
Old 16 Dec 2011, 11:39 (Ref:3000736)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Simple - 'up' is North, 'down' is south. When I lived in Sussex I went 'up' to London. Now I live in Lincolnshire, I go 'down' to London. Ok if you live in Bristol, you decide!

Anyway, Dick, what has any of this got to do with Historic Racing Today, or were you getting jealous of Iain's general chat thread?
Old 18 Dec 2011, 17:09 (Ref:3001583)   #12
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
Total pity John. Just that I have great sympathy on Historic racers (even modern ones..) having to take on the yearly punishment of Oxford Street (AAaaarrggghhh!) and I wanted to share a little engineering Shangri La in the middle of total mayhem...

If you thought our race prep boys turn out some terrific work you should see the collection there - metal magic going back 500 years - without the aid of CNC, lathes etc - just gorgeous.

One can lose the will to live just about where Manchester Square is so a wonderful bolt-hole like this may also save a life.
Old 19 Dec 2011, 08:42 (Ref:3001779)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Understood, and my comment was 'tongue in cheek'!