Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 1 Sep 2015, 11:36 (Ref:3570471)   #1701
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
......and another of Joe's mills in a Corsair I had a scrap with at Oulton......
Old 1 Sep 2015, 11:42 (Ref:3570474)   #1702
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, whilst some of you were having fun at various circuits I made the wonderful decision to rescind on last years decision to 'never go to Wales on a Bank Holiday weekend'.

Plan was to spend the day (Sunday) at the coast in Barmouth, unfortunately it was full. Cars and people everywhere. Gave up trying to park and headed to Blaenau ffestiniog - alas that was closed! In fact the seemingly opposite to Barmouth - hardly a soul to be seen. By now we're parched and starving, last resort - Betws y coed. Again, nowhere to park. Finally found a small cafe about two miles up the road, no food but tea at last, though served in cups that made Deltas' look fresh from the pottery.

Went home!!

Monday it rained.

First BH off work this year
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 1 Sep 2015, 13:34 (Ref:3570497)   #1703
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Awesome excitement. I spent the day at a rather wet and miserable Brands Hatch that was enlivened by some great Morgan races on a wet track,

Left home (Luton) at 5.0 am easy rune round M25, long delays at Dartford coming home (I can't understand why, the blooming thing is four lanes) after that a clear run home.
I was going to go down there to watch a friend racing his Morgan and the Thoroughbreds Sportscar race. Looking at the weather at 11.30am I phone and made my apologies and went to bed for a few hours as I'd been up and at work since 3am.

I got a text from him last night and sadly he had an accident and has broken his car so he's not a happy bunny at the moment.
Old 1 Sep 2015, 13:35 (Ref:3570498)   #1704
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
While we are all waiting for Bob's report (and further exciting details of the egg and fried slice) I thought I would entertain you all with the following pointless little ditty:

There was a young lady from Bude,
who went for a swim in the lake,
a young man in a punt,
Pulled her out by the leg, and said
you cant swim here its forbidden

Nick! It doesn't rhyme. Now if you were to change a few words it would, so how about this version;

There was a young lady from Bude.
Who went for a swim in the n... Oh!

I see what you mean.

The recipe for an egg on fry will follow shortly.

Did you have a nice weekend?

Cordially,
Bauble.
Old 1 Sep 2015, 13:39 (Ref:3570501)   #1705
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I was born in Bude.Not the USA
Old 1 Sep 2015, 14:59 (Ref:3570518)   #1706
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I was born in Bude.Not the USA

In the nude, Iain?
Old 1 Sep 2015, 15:03 (Ref:3570519)   #1707
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I had the misfortune to have spent three "summer holidays" in Bude as a child in a "summer camp". A more wet and miserable time could not be imagined. What sticks most in my mind is that for two of the summers we had to boil water to drink; I can now only assume that the local water supply was contaminated by flooding.

And they say those were the happiest days of our lives; I think not!
Old 1 Sep 2015, 16:24 (Ref:3570534)   #1708
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I had the misfortune to have spent three "summer holidays" in Bude as a child in a "summer camp". A more wet and miserable time could not be imagined. What sticks most in my mind is that for two of the summers we had to boil water to drink; I can now only assume that the local water supply was contaminated by flooding.

And they say those were the happiest days of our lives; I think not!
I too had my childhood misserable summer holidays there Mike. As soon as I was old enough I opted out.
Old 1 Sep 2015, 16:27 (Ref:3570537)   #1709
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Noticed the Bude motor club were not at the Classic this year. I introduced myself to them last year thinking they might like to give me an honarable membership. Hmmmm they did not seem at all interested.
Hey there loss.
Old 1 Sep 2015, 17:02 (Ref:3570545)   #1710
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My 3 kids all went to Bude summer camp at different times with the school. "Adventure International" the place was called, but the bars on the windows and high fencing discouraged any sort of adventuring. Or was that more to keep the locals out......Iain?
Old 1 Sep 2015, 18:32 (Ref:3570567)   #1711
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
For any of you sitting by the tele avoiding the rain today, 2.15pm on BBC2 the film of Burt Munro and his Indian motorbike.
A personal favorite Tim-bought the DVD!
Anyone else tried casting thier own pistons? Boot polish on the tyre walls before scrutineering?
Old 1 Sep 2015, 20:29 (Ref:3570597)   #1712
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Colin McKay;3570545]My 3 kids all went to Bude summer camp "Adventure International" the place was called, but the bars on the windows and high fencing discouraged any sort of adventuring

Good Lord, why was that?

Were they expecting a sudden migrant explosion from West Devon?
Old 1 Sep 2015, 20:51 (Ref:3570602)   #1713
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
[QUOTE=terence
Anyone else tried casting thier own pistons:[/QUOTE]

Actually no; because that would require a degree of ingineering nowse wot I don't have.

However, in my yoof we did spend a lot of time in North East Yorkshire where I discovered the joy of working on the charter boats as an assistant deck hand for the fishing charter parties. We spent a lot of time wreck fishing (a bit like running an old race car really) involving a huge loss of expensive lead based tackle (no Bauble mate not that sort of tackle).

Anyway I had a ready market in selling my own jiggers which was basically a piece of chrome piping filled with lead with a split pin each end and a massive treble hook (ooh err missus) on one end.

All went worryingly well until one day (the lead I was melting came from the local tip which I was allowed to take in small quantities in exchange for some home brew I became rather adept at making but that's another story) I was melting some scrap on my mum's ceramic hob and it all went a bit Pete Tong.

Now in fairness so it wasn't my fault ( it never was, she told me she was over 18 m' lud) but the handle came off the saucepan during a crucial moment with the result that said ceramic hob became a kind of artistic lookalike Mercury pool.

Frankly it looked great for a bit until the knobs began to fuse with the Tate Modern deco.

I was not popular...
Old 1 Sep 2015, 21:10 (Ref:3570607)   #1714
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote NickJM: "I was not popular... "

Were you ever?

Ex Mate Bob
Old 1 Sep 2015, 21:36 (Ref:3570614)   #1715
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Oh yes; most certainly

At least until I ran out of fivers
Old 2 Sep 2015, 07:51 (Ref:3570684)   #1716
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
BBC news first thing yesterday- 'New safety requirements for trucks come into force'. What? Big panic.......

Later- 'New safety requirements for trucks OPERATING WITHIN LONDON etc....' Panic over, but curious.

Later still- 'New safety requirements for trucks operating within London THAT HAVE PREVIOUSLY BEEN EXEMPT FROM THE REGULATIONS come into force...'

Turns out that some trucks such as Construction tippers etc have not been required to have all the extra mirrors, under riders etc that most have had fitted since yonks ago. How I love our media.......
Old 2 Sep 2015, 08:35 (Ref:3570694)   #1717
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
One headline I saw yesterday referred to "killer trucks" when describing the new rules. A more accurate headline would perhaps refer to the suicide rate among London cyclists.

Another beauty from the beeb today: "NHS staff sickness rates highest in country". Perhaps if they didn't keep hanging round all those sick people it would help
Old 2 Sep 2015, 09:31 (Ref:3570699)   #1718
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Another example on the radio news report of Lord Montagu passing away. Headline on the fact that he was jailed for 12 months in the 50s and the reason why, casual mention of the motor museum........

Later bulletins just concentrated on the motor museum, so hopefully someone must have had a kick up the proverbial......

Old 2 Sep 2015, 09:51 (Ref:3570700)   #1719
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That paragon of journalistic standards, the Daily Mail, also claims that the late Lord Montagu was best known for spending time in prison rather than setting up the National Motor Museum

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sexuality.html
Old 2 Sep 2015, 11:37 (Ref:3570720)   #1720
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Best known among the mostly now dead I imagine. It did ultimately have good consequences but I cannot recall any conversation about him that didn't revolve exclusively around the motor museum.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 2 Sep 2015, 11:42 (Ref:3570723)   #1721
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yup, if you google his name every result appears to be about the museum, which is as it should be.
Old 2 Sep 2015, 12:25 (Ref:3570733)   #1722
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
BBC news first thing yesterday- 'New safety requirements for trucks come into force'. What? Big panic.......

Later- 'New safety requirements for trucks OPERATING WITHIN LONDON etc....' Panic over, but curious.

Later still- 'New safety requirements for trucks operating within London THAT HAVE PREVIOUSLY BEEN EXEMPT FROM THE REGULATIONS come into force...'

Turns out that some trucks such as Construction tippers etc have not been required to have all the extra mirrors, under riders etc that most have had fitted since yonks ago. How I love our media.......
They've just fitted side guards and the front idiot mirror to my truck, the trouble with having all these mirrors, especially Volvo mirrors is that they create massive blind spots that can hide a complete car if you hit junctions at the wrong angle. As for the front looky down mirror, I can't even see it on my truck if I have the sun visor down more than an inch or two, yes the sun does shine in London despite Boris making it grim. Don't get me started on the new bike highways
Old 2 Sep 2015, 13:22 (Ref:3570745)   #1723
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So it's you driving the previously exempt truck then!

The front looky down mirror is useful when loading on ferries, to make sure you are close enough to the truck in front but not too close.......

Old 2 Sep 2015, 17:03 (Ref:3570787)   #1724
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
So it's you driving the previously exempt truck then!

Tis me yes. We'll probably need them now as most of London is now 20mph and whereas the bikes would only catch you at traffic lights they now overtake you when you are driving along the road, so now they not only ignore red lights they also ignore the speed limits. I think the cyclist vs motor vehicle accident rate is set to rise not fall.
Old 2 Sep 2015, 17:21 (Ref:3570792)   #1725
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Click image for larger version

Name:	C S..jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	46067
Guess the make of this car I'm taking to Goodwood.
Closed Thread