Originally Posted by Erki
Any rough guesses of how thick wallet one has to have to compete in one "Lite" championship?
1) car cost included or not
2) new car / old car
4) season cost
5) the championship you want to compete in
1) as all "lite" or "LMP3"-championships are pure privateer classes, costs are far less than in (X)LMS
however main cost factor would be the car if you aquire one
normally that car should be then able to be competetive for the next 5 years
2) old cars are available from about 20T€ upwards (as usual in Motorsport no uppper limit exists) but with less than 100T€*you will have all options and choices
for new cars I know they are in the range between 40 & 250T€
available manufacturers (please inform yourself on their websites) I know are f.e.:
large number producers:
small number producers:
and as you see this list is far from being complete...
3) ambition & talent: are you a wealthy privateer with a need for a new set of tires for each training session or an underfinanced talented hot shoe who can beat the opponents on worn or hardened sets? - the latter fact will help you definetly to save money.
4) However you should be able to afford 30-40k per season at least to save you from relying on "knock on wood" tactics. For title ambitions you should be able to at least double that sum.
5) is your targeted championship a single make one, a more historic one or a one with high technical level? Does it have endurance or sprint-format? - It may have an effect on cost if all kind of high sophisticated machinery are allowed (like LMP900 f.e.)
championships I know are:
- Sportscar Challenge (austrian based)
- championato italiano prototipi
- VdeV Endurance
- VdeV sprint moderne
- Swedish prototype series
- all kind of S2000-series
- all kind of Radical-series
- various hill-climb series