Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Dec 2017, 13:09 (Ref:3786541)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thruxton Circuit 50th Anniversary

Includes Motor Racing Legends:
Royal Automobile Woodcote Trophy;
Stirling Moss Trophy;
HTCC and Tony Dron Trophy.

HSCC Super Tourers
HSCC Guards Trophy
HSCC Single Seater grids
Old 12 Jan 2018, 15:17 (Ref:3792290)   #2
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the BARC website the latest additions to the programme are the Mini Sevens and Mini Miglias .

Apparently the HSCC races appear to be being run on the Saturday with the Historic F2 , Classic F3 etc forming a Formula Libre race . Not sure why they didn't just have a Derek Bell Trophy race ?

Historic Formula Ford and Super Tourers have double headers while the Guards Trophy has a 40 minute race although in the past the GTs and Sports Racers have had seperate races.
Old 11 May 2018, 07:40 (Ref:3821449)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Any more news on entrants as it's only 4 weks away.
I'm taking in both days with my two boys. First time at the circuit which started my passion off since 2003.

I believe HTCC/Tony Dron has a race on Sat and Sun?
Old 11 May 2018, 19:42 (Ref:3821557)   #4
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From the BARC site, series running are:

The Historic Touring Car Challenge/Tony Dron Trophy, Royal Automobile Club Woodcote Trophy/Stirling Moss Trophy, HSCC Guards Trophy Sports & GT Cars, HSCC Historic Formula Ford 1600, HSCC Super Touring Cars, HSCC Libre - HF2, CF3, FF2000 etc, M7RC Mini Se7en and M7RC Mini Miglia
Old 11 May 2018, 19:51 (Ref:3821559)   #5
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Provisional timetable :https://hscc.org.uk/wp-content/uploa...metable-V2.pdf
Old 22 May 2018, 07:09 (Ref:3823897)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
News is a bit slow considering we're only a week and a half away?
Old 22 May 2018, 13:21 (Ref:3823954)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
News is a bit slow considering we're only a week and a half away?
The silence could be explained by an announcement just received (by email) from HSCC thus- ‘due to lack of entries received’ they have had to cancel the Super Touring race at the event.

They are trying to organise two short ‘high speed demonstrations’ of Supertourers if enough people are still prepared to take their cars.....
Old 22 May 2018, 14:05 (Ref:3823963)   #8
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I did look at flying back to do open wheel race . Such a shame we are in Lithuania . I really wanted to support Pat and all the team down there . Not completely ruled out . Watch this space .
Old 22 May 2018, 15:04 (Ref:3823968)   #9
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Great shame the Super Touring races have been cancelled although not a complete surprise given that the first two rounds at Donington and Brands last year only garnered fourteen and nine starters respectively while the first round at Donington this year barely attracted a dozen entries . Even the Silverstone Classic race although it attracted over forty entries , fewer than half were Super Tourers .

Fingers crossed the rest of the entries will be healthy and that Murray and Nige put on a great show !
Old 22 May 2018, 17:51 (Ref:3824004)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Now I'm in front of a PC, here's the actual HSCC statement-

Dear Competitor

Unfortunately, owing to the lack of entries received, we have had to cancel the race for Super Touring Cars at the above meeting. This is extremely disappointing for both the HSCC as organisers of the Series and Thruxton, as promoter of the event.

For those who did enter a full entry fee refund will be given.

However, Thruxton, is very keen to have some sort of Super Touring Car presence at the meeting, so is organising two ten minute high speed demonstration sessions to allow some cars to at least be shown, and we are asking for your help in supporting this.

So, if you can, please bring your car along and put on a show, it would be much appreciated and there will be no cost- just some free track time.

Please let us know, by return, if you are able to attend or not and passes and a timetable will be sent to you.

Kind Regards

Grahame White
CEO
Old 23 May 2018, 06:28 (Ref:3824127)   #11
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Well that is a great shame.

It seems a lot of people are only interested in entering cars in marquee events like Silverstone Classic and Goodwood MM.

However the ST's are not cheap to run so it's understandable that their owners need to be careful.

Here's hoping the MRL races are well supported so that we have some decent saloon car action to look forward to.
Old 23 May 2018, 18:58 (Ref:3824279)   #12
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Entry lists are online for the Motor Racing Legends races and I'm pleased to say that there are over twenty entries in the HTCC/Tony Dron race and over thirty in the RAC Woodcote/Stirling Moss Trophy race .
Old 23 May 2018, 19:47 (Ref:3824288)   #13
brands
Veteran

Glad to see decent entries for those races. I hope the rest of the grids are the same.
Shame about the Supertourers but I fear the revived series has peaked.
Old 23 May 2018, 20:10 (Ref:3824290)   #14
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Glad to see decent entries for those races. I hope the rest of the grids are the same.
Shame about the Supertourers but I fear the revived series has peaked.
Not to sure about peaked, I've yet to see anything like a full grid at any event I've attended but I do know from comments made by John Cleland that the cars are very expensive to keep in full race fettle but then he comes from Peebles! Patrick Watts no longer seems to campaign the Ultron Peugot either, he seems to favour other vehicles to enter these days.
Old 24 May 2018, 05:15 (Ref:3824332)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I really wanted to be there, but it was not to be. Watched the BTCC from there last weekend and the circuit is looking in pristine condition. Hope it's a great weekend.
Old 26 May 2018, 07:35 (Ref:3824704)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Ironic that one of the main people at the venue 'assisted' your absence from the fray Peter.

Looking forward to seeing you and Rover at Classic.

Re the HTC races i've heard on the grapevine there maybe further entries yet so fingers crossed.
Old 30 May 2018, 16:42 (Ref:3825680)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I was informed that one of the reasons for the lack of super tourers is a big hike in entry fees. With cars that are expensive to run as it is, that seems like a poorly made descision.
Old 30 May 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3825694)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I was informed that one of the reasons for the lack of super tourers is a big hike in entry fees. With cars that are expensive to run as it is, that seems like a poorly made descision.
I think if it a reason, it’s not the only one! I haven't got access to the ST race entry fee info, but big increases are affecting all of us, whatever we race....

I’m also wondering if the meeting counts towards the ST championship? If not, that could have an impact on numbers.
Old 30 May 2018, 18:43 (Ref:3825712)   #19
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I haven't got access to the ST race entry fee info, but big increases are affecting all of us, whatever we race....

I’m also wondering if the meeting counts towards the ST championship? If not, that could have an impact on numbers.
The Thruxton rounds were a scheduled to count towards the championship. I don't know how much the Thruxton races were to enter; however, for Brands Hatch the fee is £510 for two 20 minute races and a 20 minute practice session. This is the same fee as the Derek Bell Trophy (who have the same amount of track time) and is, on a pro rata basis, consistent with the Historic FF1600 and 1000cc F3 races (who have a shorter qualifying).

However, the entry fees for the Donington Historic Festival and Silverstone Classic are at the higher end of the scale.

I do wonder if the season is condensed in to two short a timescale in that the opening rounds were at Donington at the start of this month, Thruxton was due at the start of June, Brands Hatch is at the end of June, the Classic at the end of July, Knockhill at the start of August and then the season finishes at Oulton at the Gold Cup. As mentioned some of these meetings do incur big entry fees and there is a fair amount of travelling involved. Perhaps a more event spread of events over 'normal' HSCC events may help build the championship.
Old 1 Jun 2018, 19:24 (Ref:3826082)   #20
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entry list:
HSCC https://hscc.org.uk/wp-content/uploa...-June-2018.pdf
MRL http://www.motorracinglegends.com/wp...ry-List-V2.pdf
and http://www.motorracinglegends.com/wp...ry-LIst-V2.pdf
Mini entry list unavailable
Old 1 Jun 2018, 22:16 (Ref:3826127)   #21
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

The Bastos Rover no longer entered by JD? 😕
Old 1 Jun 2018, 22:19 (Ref:3826128)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

I think a few Midlanders have plumped for the Coventry Festival but I am still surprised the HTC entry hasn't hit 30 cars for this meeting.
Old 2 Jun 2018, 18:14 (Ref:3826283)   #23
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
One or two thin fields today ( sixteen in HTCC and thirteen in single seater race ) but some good racing in glorious sunshine followed by a barbecue in glorious evening sunshine with more of the same tomorrow !
Old 2 Jun 2018, 20:56 (Ref:3826310)   #24
brands
Veteran

I was a little disappointed with the day.
Some nice tin, good company and great weather but so much dead track time.
I know they canned the SuperTourers (2 x 20 minutes on Saturday) but they must have lost more as it ran so slow I thought it was being run by the FIA.
The Mini race was excellent and it was good to see the Williams been driven at speed.
Given the circuit is 50 years old I was surprised by the choice of machinery running in the demos, and how few of them.

Bought a weekend ticket when the event was published, the Sunday part will go unused.
Can't say I will bother with their 100 year celebrations either
Old 3 Jun 2018, 05:45 (Ref:3826341)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

I have mixed feelings too. That Mini race was a belter!! The HTC was a bit short on cars which is a shame with only 1 GrA car but field was varied. Seeing Rovers and Capris was very evocative!

I think a couple of the grids were compromised by otber events at the weekend or coming shortly?

The ST's could have given earlier notice of cancellation so that HSCC or BARC had bt more time to schedule alternatives that also might have suited?

An HSCC 60's Saloons is one. Classic F3 or 70/80's monoposto maybe?

I had a lovely chat with Jonny Williams at the F1 display. What a knowledgeable and approachable guy.

However I still love the place it's easy to get around, you can see most of the circuit from the stands and has a very good atmosphere.

I am glad to be attending and supporting the festival.