Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jan 2018, 18:35 (Ref:3795047)   #1
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 tv viewing set to plummet further

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42816877
Old 25 Jan 2018, 20:05 (Ref:3795076)   #2
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Im a little confused by this attitude of entitlement that it should be free to air, can someone explain it to me?
Old 25 Jan 2018, 20:07 (Ref:3795077)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
don't see it as a problem, I can take it or leave it. Endurance racing is where my interest lies these days, and if I'm not watching that I can usefully spend the time fettling the car in the garage.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 20:36 (Ref:3795085)   #4
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Im a little confused by this attitude of entitlement that it should be free to air, can someone explain it to me?
I don't believe that anyone is saying that they are entitled to FTA; the reality is that the viewing audience is, at this time, voting with it's wallet and is drifting away from F1. As the article makes clear about the UK's audience, based on viewing figures since 2015, it is forecast that the audience number will have fallen by 80% when all live broadcasting goes behind the paywall next year.

Further more, the article linked to by the OP highlights some of the proposals from Liberty which are really no more than re-arranging the deckchairs on the sinking ship whilst the orchestra remain playing in the background.

Notable for it's absence is a proposal that drivers/cars are capable of overtaking each other.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 20:52 (Ref:3795091)   #5
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I for one will not be happy with a "highlights of the race" played during a live race. How damn stupid is that?
Old 25 Jan 2018, 20:55 (Ref:3795095)   #6
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow !!!! they are going to play music during the races, now that will get me ringing up sky to buy a subscription
Old 25 Jan 2018, 21:26 (Ref:3795111)   #7
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
As an aside, I personally do feel a sense of entitlement, and I actually wrote to FOM, the FIA, FOCA and some individual teams about it, because some many years ago, Mr Ecclestone gave an undertaking that for as long as he was alive and in control of the commercial side of F1 that qualifying and the races would always be available LIVE on FTA.

He broke that undertaking when he permitted the BBC to relinquish it's broadcasting of about half of the races, and further compounded that when he struck the deal with SKY giving them sole rights to live races apart from the British GP.

I don't speak for others; they are free to come to their own conclusions as Mr E is still alive, and he was still in control when the deals were done!

P.S. Not one entity had the courtesy to respond to my polite letters to them. Probably because they don't care as long as they get the money, and because they are selfish, they think only about themselves, and only look to the short term - never the long view.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 21:46 (Ref:3795119)   #8
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noooo, Don't let them start race the European races hour later! It's late enough here in Australia without pushing back even further.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 22:58 (Ref:3795133)   #9
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps sense of entitlement was the wrong phrase and i apologise if that caused any offence but it just puzzles me that people feel that F1 should be FTA when no other major sport is FTA. Why would F1 not move towards a PPV model in other countries when its been proven to generate a large amount of money, after all thats why Liberty bought it.

I can see the point of view that losing FTA coverage helps to reinforce the falling viewership figures and i agree that it doesn't help but i think a large part of that can also be attributed to the "show" that we have now.

Regardless, its a shame for everyone who enjoys watching the sport who now wont be able to.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 23:34 (Ref:3795143)   #10
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Perhaps sense of entitlement was the wrong phrase and i apologise if that caused any offence but it just puzzles me that people feel that F1 should be FTA when no other major sport is FTA. ..................................
seems wrong to compare to 'other major sport' when F1 is just becoming a backwater in a large lake of motorsport!
Anyway, how about:
6 Nations
Wimbledon
Grand National
Boat race
Old 26 Jan 2018, 00:39 (Ref:3795155)   #11
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The thing is, how can they attract younger viewers, if it’s gonna be behind a paywall
Old 26 Jan 2018, 08:03 (Ref:3795204)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I personally think that F1 will go through a big shift in the next 5 years. The emergence of electric cars, moving to pay TV, the war against the traditional fossil fuel burning engine. Who knows what all that will do to F1's "popularity".
Old 26 Jan 2018, 09:31 (Ref:3795216)   #13
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Having finally reached the benchmark age of 60 1½ years ago I find myself saying a similar comment in reply to a number of situations.
I'm glad that I'm this end of my career and not just starting is one of them.
I'm also starting to think the same about my (lifelong) interest in motorsport and especially F1. I've been a follower for most of my life, both on TV and actually at the circuits (home & abroad). With regard to F1, the past 2 - 3 years I've been able to spend even more time making sure I see as much of the qualifying and racing as possible, either live or on catch up using my own recorder using the excellent Channel 4 coverage. When the racing goes behind a paywall, my will to watch it will not be sufficient enough for me to follow & pay to watch. I may use forums such as this to follow what's happening, but then I may lose interest so much that I can't be bothered to do that anymore either.
I can't be alone in thinking like this, and surely, the less spectators the sport gets, the less benefit there is to the sponsors & manufacturers involved? This makes me believe that unless this situation is addressed, the whole thing will simply implode, and the huge financial system will just vanish down it's own (er?) plug hole.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 09:51 (Ref:3795217)   #14
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Perhaps sense of entitlement was the wrong phrase and i apologise if that caused any offence but it just puzzles me that people feel that F1 should be FTA when no other major sport is FTA. Why would F1 not move towards a PPV model in other countries when its been proven to generate a large amount of money, after all thats why Liberty bought it.

I can see the point of view that losing FTA coverage helps to reinforce the falling viewership figures and i agree that it doesn't help but i think a large part of that can also be attributed to the "show" that we have now.

Regardless, its a shame for everyone who enjoys watching the sport who now wont be able to.

I think that you may have misunderstood why Liberty bought out FOM.

FOM is a huge cash cow, which is generated from the income from selling the broadcasting rights of F1, from the contracts with individual circuits for the privilege of holding a F1 race and from various other licencing streams.

However, SKY in the UK certainly doesn't recoup the vast sums that it pays for holding the right to broadcast F1 races; it is a loss leader although their advertisers help to defray some of the costs. Why do you think that Channel 4 didn't even compete to continue their coverage after their contracts finishes at the end of this year?

Just look at the figures. In 2015 when the BBC were still broadcasting F1, the average viewing audience was 3.1 million. By the end of last year, Channel 4's average was down to 1.9 million, whilst SKY only brought in an average of 625,000 and they had to reduce the subscription to even achieve that.

F1 to a broadcaster is not a money-spinner; in fact, it's a drain on their resources. Liberty bought FOM, but they did so because FOM is not a TV broadcaster.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 10:14 (Ref:3795221)   #15
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Personally, I think BE and CVC had the golden financial age from F1 and I doubt it will ever deliver the profitable gains that it did then. My uninformed opinion is based on:

The days of TV promoters globally in a bidding war for TV rights is over
The number of emerging markets and unaccountable promoters with government cash to build tracks and pay whatever F1 wants is declining - are their really a queue of circuits and promoters lining upto pay F1 fees?
I don't see F1 merchandise as a winner - by comparison for example, Premier Leauge football teams have a massive merchandise and shirt sales market, but how many people want to buy a shirt with Premier League on it - F1 is the prermier league but the value in the brands for merchandise is the teams and to a certain extent the drivers, not the 'sport' itself.
In the UK there is a huge decline on teenagers even bothering to learn to drive, they see it as a cost not a rites of passage like to used to be, thereby they have no interest in cars and don't see them as aspirational.
TV viewing generally is falling, streaming is fine but monetising it in the long term is not easy.
In the UK the main broadsheet papers (Times & Telegraph) that put up a paywall have only attracted around 150,000 or so subscribers and their online readership fell 80% when the paywall went up. Compare this to the Evening Standard that sold 250,000 copies when it was a paid for paper, but now has a circulation of 1 million as a free paper. Point I am making it that it doesn't matter how good your 'offer ' is, once you make it harder to access the number fall away.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 10:18 (Ref:3795223)   #16
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I think that you may have misunderstood why Liberty bought out FOM.

FOM is a huge cash cow, which is generated from the income from selling the broadcasting rights of F1, from the contracts with individual circuits for the privilege of holding a F1 race and from various other licencing streams.

However, SKY in the UK certainly doesn't recoup the vast sums that it pays for holding the right to broadcast F1 races; it is a loss leader although their advertisers help to defray some of the costs. Why do you think that Channel 4 didn't even compete to continue their coverage after their contracts finishes at the end of this year?

Just look at the figures. In 2015 when the BBC were still broadcasting F1, the average viewing audience was 3.1 million. By the end of last year, Channel 4's average was down to 1.9 million, whilst SKY only brought in an average of 625,000 and they had to reduce the subscription to even achieve that.

F1 to a broadcaster is not a money-spinner; in fact, it's a drain on their resources. Liberty bought FOM, but they did so because FOM is not a TV broadcaster.
Yes, but FOM's ultimate business model now as they seek to montise and razzamataz it up, is how many people watch it. You are not going to sell $200M sponsorship deals on a 100,000 (at best) race day attendance. Ulitmately it is about viewers- no viewer equals falling market, equals the end.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 10:33 (Ref:3795228)   #17
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
When the racing goes behind a paywall, my will to watch it will not be sufficient enough for me to follow & pay to watch. I may use forums such as this to follow what's happening, but then I may lose interest so much that I can't be bothered to do that anymore either.
I can't be alone in thinking like this, and surely, the less spectators the sport gets, the less benefit there is to the sponsors & manufacturers involved? This makes me believe that unless this situation is addressed, the whole thing will simply implode, and the huge financial system will just vanish down it's own (er?) plug hole.
Just about sums up my sentiments, having followed not only F1 but many forms of motor racing for 50+ years, the commercial influences are enough to put me off entirely. I find myself more and more resorting back to watching club racing in its pure form at affordable spectating levels.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3795229)   #18
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 just isn't good enough to go behind a "Pay Wall".....it's that simple!

If you follow football, golf, tennis, cricket etc,etc on pay TV you know you're watching the best players in the World, and it might just be worth paying for it.They're on TV because they're super talented.That's not true of F1.

Half the grid are only there because they've bought the drive, half the grid isn't remotely competitive and half the grid wouldn't be missed if they didn't turn up!
Why would I want to pay decent money to watch Lance Stroll, Sergey Sirotkin,Marcus Ericsson etc, etc tool around wasting daddy's money?

Qualifying produces virtually the same grid every time and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to predict the top 6 either.

Free to air highlights are more than adequate. They'll have a job editing that into something entertaining anyway.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 10:42 (Ref:3795231)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think Liberty are delusional if they think that hiding F1 behind a paywall (pay TV or streaming) will automatically mean that the majority of free viewers will then move to the pay to watch model. It simply won’t happen. It worked with football because the fanbase is super passionate and somewhat tribal in nature. Look at people spending £40-70 to watch a single match. You could argue its profiteering what the football clubs and Sky TV do (and I would agree), however it works (for the moment). I really don’t think F1 will have that same level of demand, perhaps I am underestimating the level of interest and desire to watch, but I just can’t see it myself.

It’s just not the same product that it was 10-20 years ago. I’ve found my interest waning, and I was the kind of viewer who would get up at every race weekend 2am, 3am to watch quali and then the race. My father doesn’t watch it any more and neither do any of my friends.

I also think that the sport could be hit by the current populist movement of anti-capitalism, anti-globalisation and anti-big business, all of which F1 normally thrives upon.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Italy with their TV viewership, although I don’t think the Italian situation is representative of the market as a whole due to their somewhat unique fan relationship with Ferrari.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 10:52 (Ref:3795232)   #20
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's not as simple as a paywall is automatically bad. But I'd have to spend £50 a month to watch F1. That's the problem. I can spend £30 a year for WEC, or £600 a year on F1.

Paywall is fine. I'll pay for a product. But the price has to be reasonable. To get F1 in the UK, you need various packages and services. That becomes a lot.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 10:57 (Ref:3795233)   #21
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 has an awfully high opinion of itself.

It's now become that classic old sales technique......"Sell the sizzle not the sausage!"

Strip away all the hype, the perceived glamour and the endless talking and the product itself is pretty rubbish.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 11:10 (Ref:3795238)   #22
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well the problem is Liberty have picked a lot of problems Bernie left, but they haven’t done anything about it, especially regarding the problem of no live races on FTA in 2019. They need to do better
Old 26 Jan 2018, 14:04 (Ref:3795258)   #23
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
In the United States, ESPN get similar ratings to broadcast networks. That's not the case in Europe, where pay TV ratings are minimal.

The less viewers F1 has, the less sponsors will pay the teams, and the less fans will exist in the future.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 14:09 (Ref:3795260)   #24
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
I for one will not be happy with a "highlights of the race" played during a live race. How damn stupid is that?
Nascar and IndyCar have done it for decades. Perfect for caution periods.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 14:46 (Ref:3795269)   #25
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Nascar and IndyCar have done it for decades. Perfect for caution periods.
Incessant caution periods. The very reason I have never watched an entire NASCAR race or any oval race in my life. Other than the Indy 500 which I have endured. I find them tedious.

The limited SC periods we get in F1 now are too much. If F1 was to move to the NASCAR habit of regular cautions I would not watch F1. No doubt about it.