Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 May 2009, 18:14 (Ref:2460325)   #76
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Did you manage to open fuel cap Marcus.?
Yes but in the end I did not fill the car up as most of the pumps at the filling station were being restored and the queue at the remaining pumps was too long, I thought I would miss the plane. Then the hire car person started nitpicking about stone chips on the brand new Ford Mondeo. He should have been happy - the last time I rented a Ford Mondeo I wrote it off! Will be sorry to miss you at Snetterton Iain! And by the way F3 is going to Mallory in August. Looking forward to that.
Marcus
Old 11 May 2009, 18:52 (Ref:2460346)   #77
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was Iain driving it when the visit to the gravel trap took place Marcus
Old 11 May 2009, 19:33 (Ref:2460382)   #78
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Marcus Mussa and Scott Temple in close company as described above.

Old 11 May 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2460439)   #79
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Elite in Yellow

Shortly after qualifying.

During the Saturday Race.

Old 11 May 2009, 22:26 (Ref:2460484)   #80
james s
Rookie

United Kingdom
Alton,Hants
james s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mst have published the lap chart for the last 3 laps of the Guards Trophy on page 77 of their PDF file, this looks a bit more like the true result,
Old 11 May 2009, 22:32 (Ref:2460485)   #81
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The team at Abbey had a great weekend - plenty of flag activity, a few incidents to handle - in my view very competently by the running folk. Good weather again.

Memorable moments - a marvellous Guards race. How they went through Abbey three abreast - leaders either side of a slower car - lap after lap was amazing. Over the weekend the standard of driving was very good with everybody bar one using the mirrors and watching out for each other. You could sense the cameraderie from the sidelines. Remarkable number of spinners who gathered it all together and drove off. Some had mastered the "Abbey rotate" and barely lost places. Jaguar power definitely caused multiple spins.

The "bar one" was another memorable moment when a coasting car turned across the track in front of Gary Pearson's Lister in the BRDC race and sent him off track through the gravel bed and on to the apex of Abbey. I ran and hid! If Gary reads this perhaps he would clarify - friendly waves usually have fingers together and rarely involve a pumping motion. Offender was contrite after the event.

Met with Steve Tarrant whom you may remember from Goodwood as an injured party from JDD's fatal accident. Good to see he now has an XKR with hand controls. Definitely not available on motability and where does he stow the wheel chair?

In the XKR parade embarassed Jonny raised cheers from all around with a butt loosening tank slapper and visit to the gravel trap on the exit of Abbey. It was only a parade but his mates will remind him for ever more. Better buy an Austin Maxi.

Abbey has no facilities so avoid Mulligatawny Dahl Soup on Saturday night!

Finally the A40 with an approach speed of "flat out", sideways brakes and somehow keeping from the wall on the outside. Not sure the lines would figure in the Dave Walton Circuit Guides.

Cheers to Silverstone - bring on Snetterton.
Old 12 May 2009, 02:01 (Ref:2460563)   #82
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Had a great day, on Sunday, flagging at Copse In. Special mention to Dan Cox and the Historic Racing Saloon guys for the entertaining way you went round Copse. Jon Milicevic for his two great wins in the formula juniors, Misters Champoin/Stretton & Chilcott for that beautiful, smooth running Lotus X1 and Nigel Barnett in his Capri.
Great to see such big grids with so many great cars and everyone driving so sensibly, apart from a certain incident at Copse in the GTSCC race.
Hopefully see you all at Snetterton.
Old 12 May 2009, 07:17 (Ref:2460632)   #83
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for the pictures Grant. Brilliant.
Old 12 May 2009, 07:19 (Ref:2460635)   #84
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Have any of you spotted how we got round using different numbers for different races on the Elite. I got blooming confused but good old Alan had it all under control.
Old 12 May 2009, 07:22 (Ref:2460637)   #85
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
that same chap had his moments in other races.... I think by the end of the weekend he had a good grasp as to what that gesture means..
He is not a novice and should learn to look in his mirrors
Old 12 May 2009, 08:19 (Ref:2460689)   #86
scott19
Rookie

scott19 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcus, the lil FF2000 that was pushing you was me! Worked out well really because i only had one person to beat and so i didnt want to get involved in any battles i didnt need to and you were just the right speed for me to tag onto and use your tow for the race, i had no intentions of trying to make a move. The only place you compremised me was becketts really, where i kept catching you mid corner.
Old 12 May 2009, 12:43 (Ref:2460883)   #87
RickT
Rookie

RickT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys

Did any of you manage to get some shots of Dad in the blue Chevron B24 in the Derek Bell races, car number 5 ? We had a great weekend, good racing, good weather and the car back in one piece !

Cheers
Richard
Old 12 May 2009, 13:25 (Ref:2460910)   #88
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickT View Post
Hi Guys

Did any of you manage to get some shots of Dad in the blue Chevron B24 in the Derek Bell races, car number 5 ? We had a great weekend, good racing, good weather and the car back in one piece !

Cheers
Richard
Hi Richard,

I have a few - a mix of qualifying and the race on Saturday. I was elsewhere on Sunday.

I have a bulk batch process running on some of the other files at the moment and I don't want to to do anything to interfere with it - it's slow enough as it is! I'm off to mow the grass and let it do its stuff but I'll hope to gather my shots of number 5 later today.

If you crop me a PM with an email address I'll put together a file with a few smaller size samples in it and send it. The full images will be several Mb each so not ideal for mail systems. I'll package them and drop them somewhere and let you have an internet 'collection' address. Probably from my web site but I'll confirm later. As always the full size images will respond to a bit of tweaking but I need to make a little time to do the work.
Old 12 May 2009, 13:28 (Ref:2460912)   #89
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Have any of you spotted how we got round using different numbers for different races on the Elite. I got blooming confused but good old Alan had it all under control.

Is that a clue?

Is it something to do with subliminal advertising for uses for see-through underwear?
Old 12 May 2009, 13:34 (Ref:2460917)   #90
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the pictures Grant. Brilliant.

Glad you like them Iain. I have quite a few more ... they are in preparation.

I have some from the FF2000 race as well. Are any car numbers there of specific interest to you?
Old 12 May 2009, 14:24 (Ref:2460950)   #91
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
The FF2000 boys are all my family Grant. Wish you had said hello at the weekend.Thanks again,Brilliant and glad you did not get any shots of me visiting the gravel.
Old 12 May 2009, 14:34 (Ref:2460956)   #92
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And so are we Iain.
Old 12 May 2009, 15:48 (Ref:2461001)   #93
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
The FF2000 boys are all my family Grant. Wish you had said hello at the weekend.Thanks again,Brilliant and glad you did not get any shots of me visiting the gravel.
I was going to to say hello but things looked busy at the time so I thought I would leave and return later. However once I started my expedition to find other photo shoot position opportunies I found myself miles away from the Paddock (as you do at Silverstone) and thought better of trying to fight my way back that way with so many people tryiing to make their exits at the end of the day.

I didn't find a great location when the FF2000 race was on but Abbey was OK in some ways and at least it made change from Coppice and Luffield.

I'll get the shots prepped in the next day or two and make them available.

I seemed to be in the wrong place for nearly all the gravel and rotational shots on Saturday. Oh well, probably just as well.

No doubt there will be another opportunity to meet up at some point - I'll look out for it.
Old 12 May 2009, 15:48 (Ref:2461002)   #94
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott19 View Post
Marcus, the lil FF2000 that was pushing you was me! Worked out well really because i only had one person to beat and so i didnt want to get involved in any battles i didnt need to and you were just the right speed for me to tag onto and use your tow for the race, i had no intentions of trying to make a move. The only place you compremised me was becketts really, where i kept catching you mid corner.
Hi Scott, I thought it was you, although I hesitated between Derek Daly and Carlos Pace. Yes you were really quick into Becketts, I noticed that! And thanks for leaving me room at Copse, one lap I got a bit squirrelly on that green stuff, my car does not like that corner one bit!

GrantP - was it you I spoke to after the race? thanks for the photo, was it at Becketts (I think I recognize the cement), sorry I didn't spin this time.

Marcus
Old 12 May 2009, 16:04 (Ref:2461014)   #95
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
GrantP - was it you I spoke to after the race? thanks for the photo, was it at Becketts (I think I recognize the cement), sorry I didn't spin this time.

Marcus
Hi Marcus,

Yes it was me who cornered you as you gat back to the garage. It was good to meet you. The shot was taken at Luffield. The concrete standing areas for spectators is about the only place there with a chance to shoot mostly above the fencing but still relatively close to the track. Most of the Grandstands that were open were good for spectating but not for photography.

Perhaps we should all get together and a agree a corner at which to perform some photogenic driving, just as they used to do back in the 50s and 60s. I'm not sure how I could get a trackside pass to stand on the kerb though. And the shots really only 'work' if the car is in an obvious 4 wheel drift stance which must be a little more difficult to achieve than it was 40 odd years ago.

I have this idea for using a remote control camera close to the edge of the track but I'm not sure that anywhere would countenance such a thing even on a private test day.

If anyone is game for such an idea suggestions about how it might be approached would be welcome. I've seem something similar arranged on a megabudget 3 day publicity shoot for Nikon but that was some way out of my league ...
Old 12 May 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2461262)   #96
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Old airfield? There are several around the UK.

I can think of a couple of ways this could be done.

One involves a rig on the car, then photoshop the thing away.

Leaving the car and corner.

Not TOO hard, with a little lateral thinking!

Oh, and my favourite for almost getting IN the car is still rallying...
Old 13 May 2009, 15:23 (Ref:2461735)   #97
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Old airfield? There are several around the UK.

I can think of a couple of ways this could be done.

One involves a rig on the car, then photoshop the thing away.

Leaving the car and corner.

Not TOO hard, with a little lateral thinking!

Oh, and my favourite for almost getting IN the car is still rallying...
SOme of the recent rally shots I have seen are getting very extreme. In the car through the screen for someone if they are not careful. If not their whole body possibly their camera and half an arm.

I don't think you can realistically do a rig shot at speed so would have to re-create the drift. Most rig shots seem to involve people pushing the car rather than it being driven.

Apart from that I don't have Photoshop and I don't relish the idea of buying and learning. And I was trying to stay somewhere near the spirit of the age in line with Historic concepts - at least to some extent! (I'll substitute digital for film ...)

Finally, I'm lazy. Why have a rig and all the effort involved if you can use a small wireless camera on a lightweight tripod?
Old 15 May 2009, 12:43 (Ref:2462906)   #98
scott19
Rookie

scott19 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Marcus Mussa;2461002]Hi Scott, I thought it was you, although I hesitated between Derek Daly and Carlos Pace. Yes you were really quick into Becketts, I noticed that! And thanks for leaving me room at Copse, one lap I got a bit squirrelly on that green stuff, my car does not like that corner one bit!

Haha Derek Daly and Carlos Pace, like it! My dad raced with gold arrows on his lid and i think he got the arrow idea from daly. When i started racing i wanted to incoraparate designs of ppl that were special to me so my dad was obviously one person n then i have been a life long fan of jean alesi too so i crossed the two designs and so thats what all thats about really!

I saw you go wide at copse and could have drawm alongside but came off the throttle, theres no point in over-taking you as you will just go back past me on the next straight and i am not out there to dictate your race by gettin in the way, i purly do the F3 race as a test day really. I remember at the start one of the chevrons was very,very slow away and i think it may have been u along with a few others trying to squeeze through with me in the mix as well and i just came off the throttle n let you all go cos bending my car when i am just out their for extra track time is not really what we want!
Old 17 May 2009, 08:00 (Ref:2463803)   #99
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just been catching up as I have been away on business for a couple of days. I understand that Ashley-Brown was called up before the clerk of the course because of his hand signals to Iain indicating that the engine on the Volpini was broken. I think that the flag marshal who reported him may have thought his observations were directed at him.

Last edited by John Turner; 17 May 2009 at 08:06. Reason: Autocensor evasion; too much of this going on now, so I'm going to get stricter!