Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Dec 2012, 12:31 (Ref:3176772)   #1
John Bergqvist
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hampshire
John Bergqvist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to get Homologation papers for Berkeley SE492?

Hi, my father owns a SE492 and would like to get the Homologation papers for a racing one, so he can repair it to that specification and then hopefully enter it in historic events such as hillclimbs etc. Does anyone know where we can find them (Unsure whether we'd need the vintage Homologation papers or newer ones, if the model was ever re-homologated for use in modern historic series). We're based in the UK

Last edited by John Bergqvist; 9 Dec 2012 at 12:45.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 12:38 (Ref:3176777)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't answer the question, unfortunately, (sure someone on here can though) but can you tell me what year your Father's car was built.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 12:49 (Ref:3176780)   #3
John Bergqvist
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Can't answer the question, unfortunately, (sure someone on here can though) but can you tell me what year your Father's car was built.
Hi, it was built in 1959, and it isn't a B95, sorry, it's an SE492, and the chassis number is 651.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 13:03 (Ref:3176783)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I had an Excelsior 2 stroke 3 cyl motorbike back in the early 60s with the same engine as the 3 wheeled Berkeley, and a mate of mine actually had one of those 3 wheelers as you could use them on a M/C licence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vhyxeHsAq8

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 9 Dec 2012 at 13:14.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Dec 2012, 13:07 (Ref:3176785)   #5
John Bergqvist
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Your FISCAR club looks quite interesting, we'd definitly consider entering that, but we just want to know where we can get the papers to restore it to the original factory or racing conditions. Dad specifically mentioned restoring it to racing conditions as specified in UK homologation papers (if they exist), if they were different from factory/road conditions.

Also, where do modern safety features on the car come into play (roll cages etc.) in the historic cars in the FISCAR series?

Last edited by John Bergqvist; 9 Dec 2012 at 13:25.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 13:38 (Ref:3176797)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Hi John, I've just checked the archive of homologation papers that FIA have and no Berkeleys in the list. Think that manufacturer homologation started '59ish and due to expense only tackled by those that could afford it!

You are going to have to find period brochures, road tests etc. Owners clubs must be best bet? Good luck and hope you get some response.

Last edited by Mike Bell; 9 Dec 2012 at 13:43.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 13:59 (Ref:3176803)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
You are going to have to find period brochures, road tests etc. Owners clubs must be best bet? Good luck and hope you get some response.

Did you see the video Mike ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Dec 2012, 14:12 (Ref:3176811)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Actually it would make a good racer as it's got it's own built in smokescreen
I remember throwing the complete motorcycle in the local dump in the 60s and as it was filled in it's probably still under there.
The engine was modular and could be made into a 2 or 3 cylinder, I seem to remember the crankshafts were keyed together and used to come loose and get out of sync.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 14:25 (Ref:3176813)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Did you see the video Mike ?
Have now- much respect for the job done and especially hand painting the competition numbers!

My favourite in the vid was the period one with 'D' Type rear fin.......
Old 9 Dec 2012, 14:33 (Ref:3176815)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
They used to weigh next to nothing and my mate used to pick the back up and turn it round in his drive.
I must admit it was the only one I've ever seen and I've never seen a 4 wheeler !
Old 9 Dec 2012, 15:58 (Ref:3176831)   #11
John Bergqvist
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Thanks guys. Does anyone know of any UK Berkeley owners clubs?
Old 9 Dec 2012, 16:07 (Ref:3176835)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bergqvist View Post
Thanks guys. Does anyone know of any UK Berkeley owners clubs?
Try googling- immediately comes up with references to the Berkeley Enthusiasts Club. You may also get knowledge from Microcar clubs or societies- if indeed there are such things.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 19:17 (Ref:3176875)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Just been thumbing through the latest freebie BMH 'Motoring Classics' mag that comes with C&SC. It has a one page feature on Fairthorpe, and in a 1959 photo taken at Silverstone is an Electron being harried by..... a Berkeley! Looks from front rad opening like a Royal Enfield powered car fitted with a hardtop.

Co-incidence or what!
Old 9 Dec 2012, 19:25 (Ref:3176878)   #14
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Certainly was a Berkeley owners club back in the 70s, when my mate had a 4-wheeler - don't know what happened to it - I know he kept it for years but disposed of it eventually somehow....
Old 9 Dec 2012, 19:52 (Ref:3176891)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Certainly was a Berkeley owners club back in the 70s, when my mate had a 4-wheeler - don't know what happened to it - I know he kept it for years but disposed of it eventually somehow....
The BEC took over from the original club and is alive and kicking from perusing the website.....

Old 9 Dec 2012, 20:04 (Ref:3176894)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mate of mine had what I think was labeled a T90,back in the sixties it was bloody quick. back to the main question,I think that proof of European Competition will be needed for papers to be issued. It may have changed,but American use never used to count.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 20:12 (Ref:3176896)   #17
John Bergqvist
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Back to the main question,I think that proof of European Competition will be needed for papers to be issued. It may have changed,but American use never used to count.
Papers to be issued from whom? We're very new to the whole thing, also the berkely enthusiasts club website (at pearsy.co.uk) is down.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 20:20 (Ref:3176899)   #18
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John,
I've gained access to a BEC membership application form http://www.pearsy.co.uk/forms/BECmemfm.pdf that gives contact details of:
Ron Wagstaff
BEC Membership
45 Cranford Road
Tonbridge
Kent
TN10 4HQ

It may be a potential starting point.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 20:24 (Ref:3176901)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Papers to be issued from whom? We're very new to the whole thing, also the berkely enthusiasts club website (at pearsy.co.uk) is down.
I've accessed the website couple of times- just checked again and working fine.

Terence is referring to FIA Historic Technical Passport, which is the 'holy grail' of identity paperwork for historic racing. Whether you need or want to go to the extremes of applying for them will I guess be decided on what level of racing you want to do with the car. It ain't cheap and ain't necessary a lot of the time. Hopefully John can advise on what is required for FISCAR.

Old 9 Dec 2012, 21:10 (Ref:3176914)   #20
John Bergqvist
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I've accessed the website couple of times- just checked again and working fine.

Terence is referring to FIA Historic Technical Passport, which is the 'holy grail' of identity paperwork for historic racing. Whether you need or want to go to the extremes of applying for them will I guess be decided on what level of racing you want to do with the car. It ain't cheap and ain't necessary a lot of the time. Hopefully John can advise on what is required for FISCAR.

The historic passport is what we want as ideally we'd like to go to international events if possible. However it says that the Historic Passport needs homologation papers, which we're supposed to find, but if no homologation papers exist (although we know berkely's did race internationally) then what are we supposed to do?
Old 10 Dec 2012, 06:09 (Ref:3176985)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try John Hopwood at the MSA,probably the most helpful for you.If you phone just ask for the HTP department,JohnH might even be there.
Old 10 Dec 2012, 06:34 (Ref:3176988)   #22
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
The historic passport is what we want as ideally we'd like to go to international events if possible. However it says that the Historic Passport needs homologation papers, which we're supposed to find, but if no homologation papers exist (although we know berkely's did race internationally) then what are we supposed to do?
John, there are lots of cars racing with HTP papers that were not a homologated model. It is, as you are aware, a case of getting proof of period specification and competition history in that spec. The MSA is definitely there to help and they should advise best person to discuss the Berkeley HTP with. Sometimes it is useful if the contact is in your part of the country, as ultimately they will need to see the car 'in the flesh'.

Old 10 Dec 2012, 07:38 (Ref:3176993)   #23
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look at the RacingSportsCars site. A very quick search uncovered a Berkley winning the GT500 class at the Coppa Inter-Europa at Monza in 1959. It's very likely there are more successes listed there.
Old 10 Dec 2012, 08:01 (Ref:3176995)   #24
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
John,
I've gained access to a BEC membership application form http://www.pearsy.co.uk/forms/BECmemfm.pdf that gives contact details of:
Ron Wagstaff
BEC Membership
45 Cranford Road
Tonbridge
Kent
TN10 4HQ

It may be a potential starting point.
Well Well you never know what's on your doorstep as that's about 10 minutes up the road for me, but I've never seen one on the road.
Old 10 Dec 2012, 08:18 (Ref:3176998)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Have a look at the RacingSportsCars site. A very quick search uncovered a Berkley winning the GT500 class at the Coppa Inter-Europa at Monza in 1959. It's very likely there are more successes listed there.

Well done Allan,thats all that would be required.