Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Jan 2012, 10:27 (Ref:3008901)   #1
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valencia off the menu?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/form...e/16442297.stm

If it happens I can't say I would be devastated.
P
Old 8 Jan 2012, 10:47 (Ref:3008907)   #2
jo1998sh
Rookie

United Kingdom
jo1998sh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only intresting thing about the weekend IMO was how many gp2 cars could crash on the first lap (usually about 5), wont be a huge loss to the calendar.
Old 8 Jan 2012, 12:01 (Ref:3008928)   #3
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just get rid of it ASAP. Spain is hardly in a financial position to host 2 races a year and this would clear the way for a more deserving circuit.
Old 8 Jan 2012, 12:24 (Ref:3008939)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
Just get rid of it ASAP. Spain is hardly in a financial position to host 2 races a year and this would clear the way for a more deserving circuit.
Indeed it isn't. Only trouble is, whilst Valencia isn't the most exciting circuit, the likely alternative is another Tilke bore in a far eastern country.

Bring back Turkey, but with the Spanish fan base.
Old 8 Jan 2012, 12:28 (Ref:3008940)   #5
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodbye Valencia, you won't be missed. The gap on the schedule could easily be filled by France
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 8 Jan 2012, 12:34 (Ref:3008944)   #6
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, Spain was commited by Bernie to have only one race in the calendar, then Montmeló is a better option than Valencia. Despite this story has still not finished... Perhaps they could stay for this year at least.
Old 8 Jan 2012, 12:35 (Ref:3008945)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Toilet of a track, always has been, and nobody would miss it, would rather they went someehere like Portimao.
Old 8 Jan 2012, 14:08 (Ref:3008969)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't say I'm sorry for this.
Old 8 Jan 2012, 14:20 (Ref:3008978)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I don't mind Valencia, but I would not miss it either...
Old 8 Jan 2012, 14:59 (Ref:3008986)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it was one of those fantastic in principle, not so great in execution ideas wasn't it?
Old 8 Jan 2012, 15:05 (Ref:3008987)   #11
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't like to see commercial upheaval that would weaken the sports presence in Europe but the track on its own terms is no loss if it is in fact lost. It's one of these grey valleys bereft of life, soul and any sparkle whatsoever.
Old 8 Jan 2012, 15:19 (Ref:3008991)   #12
JackN
Racer

United Kingdom
Norrrrrfolk
JackN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spot on Bella. I went to Valencia as a spectator for the first race, and it was fantastic. Beautiful Spanish city, excellent weather, cool harbour setting, right on the beach, a 10min tramride from the city centre.....But they seemed to have struggled to capture that atmosphere, clearly not aided by another Tilke shocker. I will only miss it because of what could have been.
Old 8 Jan 2012, 15:26 (Ref:3008996)   #13
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sure hope it does get kick! I see what people mean when they say it is not great for Europe's future prospects but with a track as bad as that it does not bother me (In this particular case). Bernie seems like a dog surrounded by cars and he doesen't know which one to chase. A prime example would be Turkey, only 7 years of racing and it has been axed (For mostly financial reasons of course). If Valencia goes too then it would of just been 4 years of racing so there is a trend of temporary slots in which they are seen as 'the next big thing' and 5 years down the line they are axed. Obviously the majority of races that get axed are cancelled due to financial reasons but I think with the amount of races that will be added to the calendar in the near future will cause many more of cancelled events.

Of course we all hope that someone sees some sense and keeps all the classics, but we can never be sure with the current economic climate.
Old 8 Jan 2012, 15:26 (Ref:3008997)   #14
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Makes it a little easier to shoehorn New Jersey into the schedule without upsetting too many people I guess.
Old 8 Jan 2012, 15:28 (Ref:3008999)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it was one of those fantastic in principle, not so great in execution ideas wasn't it?
Yes it's not bad, I know I keep on talking about Long Beach which is similar in that it's a street circuit. However Valencia just does not provide good racing.

I think it you are attending these types of races they are way more fun than watching them on TV..

An experiment that as you say bella has just not worked..
Old 8 Jan 2012, 19:15 (Ref:3009091)   #16
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
There are some elements of the Valencia course that I don't really care for. However, there are a number of sections I quite like. Straights that aren't really straight are rather uncommon on newer circuits, and that series of high-speed esse-bends into the hairpin at the end of the lap is quite good.

Frankly, there are just a handful of tiny bends in just the wrong places (tiny to the point where they aren't apparent from track illustrations) that are messing up the racing. The problem could largely be solved by re-aligning some of the barriers, I would think. Add in some more greenery around the track, and a few strategically-placed high-rises for landmarks, and it would be so much better as a race setting.

As for the trend in disappearing tracks, Korea might set the new bar at just 2 years, depending on how things go. And if Putin keeps slipping, 2014 (the year of the Olympics themselves) might be it for Sochi.
Old 8 Jan 2012, 19:28 (Ref:3009094)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Purist I think that is a good summery on the subject of Valencia, I have always quite liked the contrast between the super high tech cars and the starkness of the surroundings in a way..

But then I quite enjoy watching the cars in settings like Bahrain as well, although I am not suggesting that F1 should return *This is an example only*

Some people love the mountains and others the desert both have their unique appeal..
Old 9 Jan 2012, 00:16 (Ref:3009213)   #18
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
And I try not to make blanket statements about one environment type being bad and another being good.

As a circuit, I just don't care for Bahrain, but I don'thave an absolute dislike of desert circuits by ay means. Riverside was a great road course, and Stardust was reasonably good as well, I think.
Old 9 Jan 2012, 12:55 (Ref:3009340)   #19
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Purist
There are some elements of the Valencia course that I don't really care for. However, there are a number of sections I quite like. Straights that aren't really straight are rather uncommon on newer circuits, and that series of high-speed esse-bends into the hairpin at the end of the lap is quite good.

Frankly, there are just a handful of tiny bends in just the wrong places (tiny to the point where they aren't apparent from track illustrations) that are messing up the racing. The problem could largely be solved by re-aligning some of the barriers, I would think. Add in some more greenery around the track, and a few strategically-placed high-rises for landmarks, and it would be so much better as a race setting.
Great reply Bella. It looks really nice but it's too naked and only time would mellow it, but as for the racing, it is simply a dud as it stands. It makes Bahrain look exciting in race terms.

However Purist may have a point, but would the powers that be fund any 'improvements' soon enough to please F1 addicts?

Probably better to let another track somewhere have a chance. France would be good as would maybe New Jersey, as already mentioned.

P
Old 9 Jan 2012, 14:05 (Ref:3009366)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it was also conceived at a time when it was likely that the empty gaps were going to be filled in to make it more like a 'real' street circuit. much like the korean venue in that respect. now the economy isn't funding quite so much silly expansion it's not going to happen quick enough for the place not to look completely empty.

that said, i think any street venue in f1 has two of the ultimate to compete and be compared against - monaco and singapore. the former for the history and downright outrageousness, the latter for how it can and should be done. both from a commercial point of view and a spectacle point of view.
Old 9 Jan 2012, 14:58 (Ref:3009379)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It may be that the Barcelona GP is the one to bite the dust.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96924
Old 9 Jan 2012, 17:24 (Ref:3009413)   #22
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the me from 5 years ago would hate the me of today for saying it but i purposely miss a few races each year and choose to save the 2-3hrs by simply reading a post race summary...in case you were wondering it is the Spanish races that i skip.

they are both pants and i would be happy to see them both gone from the calendar for good.

also im not convinced they need to be replaced with anything.
Old 9 Jan 2012, 18:14 (Ref:3009440)   #23
Benny1664
Racer

Benny1664 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here here! Both the Spanish races have been utter borefests for many years and the races are the worst of the year for sure. Get rid of them and get something/anything else instead!
Old 9 Jan 2012, 20:07 (Ref:3009499)   #24
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems like the logical solution would be for Barcelona and Valencia to alternate. Maybe that's what they are pushing for given the timing of these stories.

And I really don't think Valencia is as bad a circuit as is made out. It doesn't have an atmosphere, but I think it has a better track layout than say Hungary or Singapore.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 00:57 (Ref:3009611)   #25
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Seems like the logical solution would be for Barcelona and Valencia to alternate. Maybe that's what they are pushing for given the timing of these stories.

And I really don't think Valencia is as bad a circuit as is made out. It doesn't have an atmosphere, but I think it has a better track layout than say Hungary or Singapore.
I have always preferred Jerez as a venue for the Spanish GP and there hasn't been a race at barcelona that would encourage me to change my mind.
In reality it wouldn't be odd for Bernie to encourage one race for the entire region so why not alternate a GP between Spain and Portugal. Portimaio would be a good venue (If Ricard is fine so is Portimaio).