Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 25 Jan 2004, 13:24 (Ref:849973)   #1
Straightup
Rookie

Straightup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One Series ?

From the news article in today's Indianapolis Star, TG appears to be prepared to pursue the purchase of key CART assests beyond the 3.3 mil bid. He expects an eventful hearing on the 28th. Unification is the motive. PG promises the same fight for these assests.

I don't care what side of the equation you fall on, 2 series will not work(didn't work with the NFL and NBA and they were miles ahead of this mess). The past 10 years has been living proof. I think its also safe to say an all oval or all road/street course series will not work.

This appears to be the Little Bighorn of this civil war. Seeing the state of open wheel racing maybe its about time. There will be a loser and my hope is that its not the open wheel fan again this time.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 13:31 (Ref:849979)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you trying to start trouble TOO?
Old 25 Jan 2004, 14:28 (Ref:850003)   #3
Straightup
Rookie

Straightup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By no means am I trying to cause trouble, but rather appeal to the fact open wheel fans in general have been the big losers the last 10 years. When we don't witness the best competing against the best in the same diversified venues, as fans we lose out. No need to chronicle the history that got us to this point. Time to look ahead.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 14:35 (Ref:850008)   #4
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can't run a series without a viable race schedule. Right now that is OWRS's biggest fight, not TG.

Tony will probably win even if he does not win the bid on the assets.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 14:52 (Ref:850022)   #5
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Frankly, I believe TG needed to bid on more assets to get to a situation where there would only be one series.

According to reports, they've only bid on Long Beach,(& engines) which leaves the rest of the events for OWRS to sign contracts should they wish. (and without having to pay anything for it, or a counter bid)

The only hangup would be the engines. I suspect that OWRS will Drop bidding on LBGP, and bid on everything else, including the engines. A strong counterproposal would basically give TG LBGP and OWRS what they need to run everything else.. then Shareholders win big.

Last edited by Fogelhund; 25 Jan 2004 at 14:54.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 15:07 (Ref:850036)   #6
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Count the races for the schedule (if the promotors win their objections):

Surfers, Milwaukee, three races in Canada and two in Mexico. That is seven races accounted for. The rest are more than 'iffy', they want out. Races like Cleveland do not have a promotor.

Again, this will be OWRS's biggest fight. With so much uncertainty, what sponsors are going to step to the plate? And how many teams will be able to partake in this dwideling series?
Old 25 Jan 2004, 15:54 (Ref:850058)   #7
SurfaceUnits
Racer

SurfaceUnits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given that the fans have been the losers in the open wheel war, why would you now support the SOBs who perpetrated this mess?

Last edited by SurfaceUnits; 25 Jan 2004 at 15:55.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 15:59 (Ref:850060)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Races like cleavland (it isn't a huge town)
you would think word of mouth really helps - it has been happening for years and people love it, what is wrong with everyone that nobody wants to help out Champcars survive?
admittedly 1 series is better, and we wouldn't want 2 floundering bores, or one IRL oval mess- but a mix of the 2 schedules ahs got to be the bestthing for it all in the end
Old 25 Jan 2004, 16:40 (Ref:850079)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SurfaceUnits
Given that the fans have been the losers in the open wheel war, why would you now support the SOBs who perpetrated this mess?
Who are you talking about, Craig, Heitzler, and Pook, or just TG? I mean there are enough SOB's to go around in this mess.

I think anyone here that supports an IRL buyout, only does it, because they feel they've got the money, power, big-time TV contract, and the marketing ability, to make a competive go at a solid future.

Unless OWRS is hiding something or has something big up there sleeve, you look at there business plan, and you see a very Pook like plan. We all know how much that cost, and what, after all that was spent, did it do for the series? An OWRS win, will probably just delay the inevitable, which is the series eventually folding.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 16:56 (Ref:850090)   #10
SurfaceUnits
Racer

SurfaceUnits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given the mess Champcars has been in the past few seasons, and if the IRL is so banging, why has it been dropping like a chebbie engine. When I want to hear an IRL engine, I have my neighbor crank up his GMC pickup.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 17:01 (Ref:850097)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SurfaceUnits
Given the mess Champcars has been in the past few seasons, and if the IRL is so banging, why has it been dropping like a chebbie engine. When I want to hear an IRL engine, I have my neighbor crank up his GMC pickup.
Nuff said...
Old 25 Jan 2004, 17:11 (Ref:850104)   #12
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
admittedly 1 series is better, and we wouldn't want 2 floundering bores, or one IRL oval mess- but a mix of the 2 schedules ahs got to be the bestthing for it all in the end
I agree, one would be better... the onething I like about two series, is that a race fan can get a mix of tracks. I prefer road and street to Ovals... but when Cart was not on TV and there was a oval race on the other channel I would watch it (if it was good and kept my attention). If Tony wins Long beach and the engines(to keep OWRS from running another series) he will put open wheel racing in more trouble. He already admited he does want a few road courses but he will always keep it more ovals in the IRL. Bad move.. if I want a series of mostly ovals and 2 road courses I could watch nascar. It is not a thing of wich is better, ovals or Road races.... yes some are parades but so are many many ovals... you need a mix of tracks it is as easy as that, and that is why cart was so strong in the early 90's.

If there is to be a merger for open wheel racing... you need a mix. The one way TG could really unite open wheel racing is to buy all of CART, let OWRS or someone run it 2 years and meld the two series togheter when the engine and chassis contracts are up and a merger is more feasible. The way he is doing it now is to put a end to most Road and Street courses and keep the only ones he can make money on. There is no way he can hide that is about ego and money by saying he is doign it for the greater good of Open wheel racing by making it one series again. His actions are still saying, that he wants to win his silly war and make his point. It was Everyones fualt (TG's and the CART Board ) But half of them are gone or in the IRL, so stop being so petty! If they want to unite it, put egos aside and merge it so the fans win... but i guess that is to much to ask?? If TG wins his bid this way and only does a few Road races, attendance for those Raod races will drop, TV rattings still will not get better for the IRL and sponors sooner or later will get sick of the open wheel mess.
At least I can still watch F1.. Juan Pablo and Cristiano da Matta
Sorry if I babbled on to long
Old 25 Jan 2004, 17:18 (Ref:850108)   #13
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets say the worts happens.... Whats from stopping OWRS taking atlatincs or another series all ready set up and using that as their main series.... Besides OWRS hasnt said to much... I think they have plan B to go racing this year and can come up with engines for the cars they have... I beleive ther will be 2 series this year, wich is good, because the way TG is proposing one series again will not work and will alienate the fans even more
Old 25 Jan 2004, 21:05 (Ref:850252)   #14
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by boom boom
... if I want a series of mostly ovals and 2 road courses I could watch nascar.
Exaclty. The only potential losers here (outside of creditors and shareholders) are the road racing fans. I really can't see myself watching 17 ovals for the sake of one street race. If there's a good mix, then everyone's happy. If there's not, I'll continue to half-heartedly follow F1 and all but lose interest in most other forms of racing.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 22:57 (Ref:850373)   #15
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by boom boom
Lets say the worts happens.... Whats from stopping OWRS taking atlatincs or another series all ready set up and using that as their main series.... Besides OWRS hasnt said to much... I think they have plan B to go racing this year and can come up with engines for the cars they have... I beleive ther will be 2 series this year, wich is good, because the way TG is proposing one series again will not work and will alienate the fans even more
There's one thing I'd forgotten....what happens to Toyota Atlantic and Barber Dodge and all the supports in this mess? If OWRS wins they carry on as normal, but if IRL wins, do they fade away, become IRL supports or what....

ARGHHH...so many variables! *head is spinning*
Old 26 Jan 2004, 00:03 (Ref:850441)   #16
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Barber Dodge has been out of the picture for some time now. They already have there 2004 schedule setup and they are no longer part of the Champcar series ladder system.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 01:06 (Ref:851775)   #17
mueber
Rookie

United States
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
mueber should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see how an open wheel series, primarily ovals, run by Tony George, revolving around Gomerville, makes me a winner.

I want CART 1995. It was great, and the IRL ain't it.

Last edited by Down F0rce; 27 Jan 2004 at 11:08.