Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 13 Mar 2010, 18:45 (Ref:2651171)   #1
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vettel vs Webber: Round 2

Webber cocked up

Discuss
Old 13 Mar 2010, 18:46 (Ref:2651173)   #2
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First blood to Vettel I'd say, but first he has to convert the pole to the win.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 19:02 (Ref:2651186)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Webber's advantage is/was experience. As time goes on that advantage ebbs away.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 20:13 (Ref:2651242)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With the low fuel qualfying back I expect the grid advantage this year to be on the side of We....

Oh.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 06:04 (Ref:2651433)   #5
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do we have to do this again? More interested in looking at the Mercedes, Mclaren and Ferrari boys

2010 will be more of 2009. Vettel the better qualifier, will most likely get a few more wins then Webber, Webbers only hope is his inner mongrel is still strong and he can be on the front two rows and hope that he can conserve tyres better then Vettel. One area you can say he is better then Vettel, lol probably because he is a fraction slower
Old 14 Mar 2010, 09:09 (Ref:2651497)   #6
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
Do we have to do this again? More interested in looking at the Mercedes, Mclaren and Ferrari boys
Yeah, why do we have to have another one of these threads again. Are we going to have the entire first page of the forum with each teams driver vs. the other one?

Fair enough when there is something to discuss but at rd 1, when one driver simply outqualified the other?

BORING.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 20:41 (Ref:2652105)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I think that Mark can feel relieved this evening because he should have, had it not have been for reliability, been 21 points behind his team mate already.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 20:46 (Ref:2652108)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I think that Mark can feel relieved this evening because he should have, had it not have been for reliability, been 21 points behind his team mate already.
It's amazing to think that just one faulty spark-plug could cost Vettel the WDC.

I don't think that Webber has anything to worry about this early in the season.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 20:55 (Ref:2652119)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's too early to start such discussion. I don't think this thread should continue.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 01:39 (Ref:2652314)   #10
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My opinion Bononi is that it should be left open, and let's hope that it gets discussed more when the topic has some mileage again. It was a close battle at times last year, and given how highly Vettel is rated, Webber did not disgrace himself at all. There will be things to talk about with it this year.

If we can concentrate the debate into this thread, it should be good.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 04:49 (Ref:2652367)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Shame for Vettel, a win straight up would have been well deserved. After last season, I'm not convinced Webber has the qual advantage he enjoyed over other team mates, so I think that combined with no over taking means Vettel will make it 2:0.

Mark will push him though.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 11:08 (Ref:2652516)   #12
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
It seemed to me that Webber simply made a Horlicks of his quali lap and was therefore doomed to spend the afternoon stuck in traffic.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 11:10 (Ref:2652520)   #13
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well I know his lack of quali pace last year was put down by some to his leg, because he didn't have the sensitivity there. But that should be sorted now and yet Seb did seem to have the edge on him all weekend, regardless of his mistake, so I guess that isn't it

I think maybe it's pressure, and making mistakes. Before now, as you say, his team mates weren't the quickest over one lap, and with less pressure, he was able to let his driving flow. But now he has SebVet alongside him who is phenomenally fast and he's got a car he knows he could get poles and wins with, so maybe he's feeling more pressure to try and beat him and his other rivals which is leading him to make mistakes at key moments. Or maybe he has lost something with his accident. Pass. Only the man himself can answer that one, if anyone can

If he had his quali pace of before last year and his race pace and racecraft of last year, he'd be one of, if not the best driver on the grid. He's one of the best drivers on the grid anyway but he'd be a top tier driver if he can nail quali like he used to. Maybe he will at tracks he has form at. I hope he can do it in 2 weeks. I think we'd get armageddon but it would be a fun armageddon
Old 15 Mar 2010, 12:43 (Ref:2652592)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
My opinion Bononi is that it should be left open, and let's hope that it gets discussed more when the topic has some mileage again. It was a close battle at times last year, and given how highly Vettel is rated, Webber did not disgrace himself at all. There will be things to talk about with it this year.

If we can concentrate the debate into this thread, it should be good.
No probs then. The only warning is that any other thread about Vettel vs Webber will be merged to this one, and I hope this will not turn out to be a "USF1 thread" or sort of "JV's tirade" from part of both drivers fans.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 13:29 (Ref:2652641)   #15
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Webber has spent too long in poor machinery and with team-mates that weren't as quick/Hungry as he was.
It would appear that whilst he can have his day of days each year, he won't be a consistent threat to Vettel.
I would rate Webber as good as Massa.
He is certainly better than Barrichello, DC and Fsichella, all of whom won races but when confronted by faster team-mates never really delivered the goods.
Barrichello, Silverstone 2003 was one of the best drives I've ever witnessed.

One thing, any rumour that Kimi will return with Red Bull next year, I think is a gross over estimation of the Finn's ability. I am certain Webber would outclass him easily, never mind Vettel
Old 15 Mar 2010, 14:56 (Ref:2652718)   #16
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
It seemed to me that Webber simply made a Horlicks of his quali lap and was therefore doomed to spend the afternoon stuck in traffic.
Yep, assuming Horlicks = Pigs Dinner.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 00:29 (Ref:2653125)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Horlicks
Stop this immediately. You are not James Allen.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 01:23 (Ref:2653158)   #18
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The opinion of many seems to be that Webber is a 'choker'. That he is not so great under pressure or when expectations are high.

In case anybody asks, that also happens to be my humble opinion of Webber.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 10:51 (Ref:2653372)   #19
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
nea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber confuses me at times. He used to be awesome in a high pressure qualifying session. Look at what he did with that Jaaaaaaarrrgh in 2003. Where has that Webber gone?

I think Vettel has caught him out and he knows that he is their favourite son now, and it's just heaped the pressure on like he's never had before. Breaking his leg certainly won't have helped matters.

Vettel is the real deal though. I still think Webber could have been had he not spent years stuck in crap cars. His Minardi drives in 2002 were the drives of a future champion.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 11:18 (Ref:2653395)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Those old quali sessions weren't high pressure for him though as he was in a car expected to fail.

As soon as he hit the front he choked. He has lost nothing since F3000.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2653439)   #21
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
As soon as he hit the front he choked.
I don't agree. I think what last year proved to everyone (apart from his fans, who knew already) is that the reason he always fell back in races wasn't because he couldn't hack but because although it's possible to do a single flying lap in a rubbish car, it's impossible to sustain it over a race distance. Last year proved he does have race pace and that in the past it was obscured by having poor cars, unlike his one lap pace - essentially, he's not just incredibly quick over one lap as was presumed, but he's actually just incredibly quick in general

I don't buy the whole "quick over one lap" thing. It's nonsense. You're either quick or you're not

One thing I will admit, though, is he's not the best starter, but then neither was Michael
Old 16 Mar 2010, 13:02 (Ref:2653461)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

No he is a solid racer. But I just think psychlogically he is well off the likes of his own teammate.

Whenever he put the Jag or Williams well up the grid, he'd more often than not have a paniccy moment in the race and almost always an awful getaway.

He has more chances up front with the Red Bull, which means he can grab the odd win at least. But he'll never be a consistent, major threat.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 13:13 (Ref:2653472)   #23
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
I think that's fair comment

What makes Mark so attractive as a fan (I mean as a driver to support, not physically) is that he is flawed. I do like Alonso but I could never be a true fan of his, because he's too good. I like supporting the tragic hero, those that are flawed and doomed to failure because of their flaws, hence my preference of Webber and my retrospective preference of Damon and JPM (although I've always liked them - just now it's for different reasons)
Old 16 Mar 2010, 17:23 (Ref:2653613)   #24
chavez169
Rookie

chavez169 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know exactly what u mean there Jab thats one of the reasons im a fan of his, that and the fact that he manages to make me laugh in almost every interview. Its also the reason im a Marko Asmer fan! Watching motor racing sure can be emotionally draining at times.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 00:35 (Ref:2653874)   #25
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In terms of 'overall' ability and talent, I would rate Webber with the likes of Barrichello. Is that a fair comparison? Both maligned drivers who seem to promise much but not quite capable of grabbing the 'bull by the horns', race after race, like the top tier drivers.