Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Jan 2017, 16:56 (Ref:3701062)   #126
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
I think that was the red flag of few minute ago.
Must've been as it sounds like it was a lengthy stoppage and I've seen no other issues noted on social media.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 16:58 (Ref:3701063)   #127
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
So I got there 8:50 am yesterday (saturday) and find out no grandstand access this year. I've just driven the 240 miles so I buy a ticket and get the sometimes usual Daytona ticket takers little bit of power at the turn 4 tunnel (now it's 9:10, no line). "General admission ticket holders have to pull over there and wait a few minutes". I pull over "there" alongside a guy in a Mustang and say to him "What difference does it make if we went in, there's nobody else in line?" By the time he answers in agreement, the entrance nazi is shouting at us to "come on"....

It's drizzling, cold, and windy (making the cold more worser) but I move around (east and west horseshoes) for the morning sessions (getting colder all the time). 'Go out for lunch, come back for the rest of the day but it's even colder and windier, heavy overcast but not raining...for now). I watch for two minutes and say to myself "Why didn't you just turn around and go home this morning?" Seeing the cars was great, but......

If I coulda gone up to the grandstands which was my plan so I could see nearly the whole circuit all bundled up in clothes, coat and blanket, I woulda been fine. This tired old fart couldn't handle it and was back on I-95 headed south....8 hours of driving for 3 hours, 2 minutes of "race" watchin'. 'Not in my wish list even tho' racin's my passion.

I'm glad Fox's covering all but an hour and 5 minutes (hopefully true) as I've had my fill of live for a coupla months...we'll see about Sebring.
I don't think the grandstands are usually open for the Roar test. And nowadays they're always closed for regular tests unlike the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
Really solid work. I like the pans but I also like the shot of
(I guess) the carousel with the high bank in the back.

I either heard this on RLM or read it somewhere but confirmed
it with your video - The red Mazda has the top exhaust exit and the
gray Mazda has the low exhaust exit. Wonder which is better and
why?
I hadn't noticed that, I did notice the gray Mazda was a little louder and gnarlier sounding.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 16:59 (Ref:3701064)   #128
pafe
Rookie

Germany
North-Germany
pafe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh that looks bad

Meanwhile the 488 came alive.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 17:03 (Ref:3701066)   #129
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Don't see it posted here yet but Fassler had a nasty sounding incident in the Corvette.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/fa...corvette-fire/
Not the first time we've seen one of the Vette's lit up. Better now than the race but hopefully they get the cause sorted out before they come back in a few weeks.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 17:04 (Ref:3701067)   #130
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Even though the Mazda has shown some pace, the reliability is still terrible. The #70 hasn't run at all today. I don't expect speedsource to fix these issues by race time, but I'll keep an open mind because I want them to succeed.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 17:52 (Ref:3701074)   #131
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post
Even though the Mazda has shown some pace, the reliability is still terrible. The #70 hasn't run at all today. I don't expect speedsource to fix these issues by race time, but I'll keep an open mind because I want them to succeed.
I'm not sure about that. The teams with two cars, had one car most of the time at the pits, maybe trying different things.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 19:22 (Ref:3701090)   #132
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
I put up video from Friday and Saturday at the Roar. This is the one from Saturday which I think came out a lot better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3COCf_D3FE
Great stuff as always, Mr. Turtle.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 8 Jan 2017, 19:43 (Ref:3701095)   #133
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
You're a little out-of-date with that one mate
Not late, just tired. I need to stop posting comments when I should be going to bed and getting my recollection of what teams a driver's been on all jumbled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Not wanting to pile on (he said insincerely as he jumped atop the pile) but F Fox, if you are going to visit a sports car forum and tell everybody what's up .... you should know what's up.
I knew exactly what is up with Jani, but I posted when I was exhausted from work and things slipped my mind. Nothing more, nothing less.

People seriously need to chill about this sort of stuff. Particularly since it was a good mistake to make as the reality of the matter only reinforced the point that was being made, rather than making the point invalid

Last edited by FormulaFox; 8 Jan 2017 at 19:49.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 19:45 (Ref:3701096)   #134
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Looks like a possible fuel leak was the cause of the fire for the 4 Vette:

http://www.motorsport.com/imsa/news/...aytona-863928/
Old 8 Jan 2017, 19:46 (Ref:3701097)   #135
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I fear the team will come unstuck in racing conditions though. Daytona is an incredibly tactical race, and a lack of experience racing there will cost them time. Their race craft is likely to be a little rusty too, given that they've effectively been racing themselves for a few years now.

this is the feeling I got all weekend, and matches the feelings I got the only two times I saw this team in the states at long beach and Laguna seca.even the car at the roar reminds me of '13 black with the red roof,beautiful clean and well prepared.the team and drivers worked and drove with confidence,every session the car was on top of the time sheets.when it came to the race they were fast and ran away from their one only real competition,but failed when it came to strategy and pit work costing them the race,plus slamming into the side of graf getting a penalty didn't help.

I hope the best for them for the 24,they will be favorites.....
Old 8 Jan 2017, 20:29 (Ref:3701104)   #136
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Also the difference between WEC and IMSA pit rules (one wheel gun in the WEC, two in IMSA, plus refueling and tire changes in the post 2013 era for IMSA), and the difference between mostly running 6 hour or longer races vs 2-4 hour races.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 21:00 (Ref:3701109)   #137
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Also the difference between WEC and IMSA pit rules (one wheel gun in the WEC, two in IMSA, plus refueling and tire changes in the post 2013 era for IMSA), and the difference between mostly running 6 hour or longer races vs 2-4 hour races.
I would guess the biggest uncertainty for the FIA cars is that the Gibson engine has never run a race - period.

I also notice that the LMGT cars have on average no higher top speed than GTD.
This causes problems - I thought that would be fixed by the magic of BOP but then I guess first it would have to be applied correctly
Old 8 Jan 2017, 21:01 (Ref:3701111)   #138
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Here's some more Roar footage from Friday/Saturday in addition to Lanky and Fansofthe12Hour, this time in 4K!

Video credit to Buddy Bryan, well done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdhvi9ZJiLw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUNGf3aeHGA
Old 8 Jan 2017, 21:06 (Ref:3701113)   #139
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Amazing videos Nick!

Combined lap times from the 7th practice sessions

http://results.imsa.com/Results/17_2...%20Overall.PDF

Last edited by Damian Baldi; 8 Jan 2017 at 21:14.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 22:43 (Ref:3701130)   #140
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
I would guess the biggest uncertainty for the FIA cars is that the Gibson engine has never run a race - period.

This causes problems - I thought that would be fixed by the magic of BOP but then I guess first it would have to be applied correctly
GM's LT engine also hasn't run a race yet, period. I don't care if it's related to the old LS engine or that Corvette Racing has run the LT in a 5.5 liter version. The GTLM/GTE version is giving up over 100bhp over what the DPI spec version is asking for. Mazda's engine hasn't been run to about 600bhp reliably yet, nor has the Nissan GT-R engine been run in a prototype yet.

All DPIs also have no experience with running their engines to the 600hp mark for a 24 hour race yet.

Also for the GTLM/GTE cars, they're somewhat less powerful than GT3 cars (though supposedly a bit more powerful than GTDs), and for sure make more downforce--and more drag. The GTLM cars corner faster at the expense of top end speed, even with the GTD cars making less power than standard GT3s.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 23:16 (Ref:3701133)   #141
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see it did not take long for Pumpelly too find a seat
in the Alegra #28 Porsche. Hope he will be there for the 24!

Also glad to see Sean Rayhall will be helping out
with the Starworks PC team.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 01:30 (Ref:3701149)   #142
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Depending on the bop to come, I think the pole time might be close to the 37.8 from the December test if all stays the same.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 01:35 (Ref:3701150)   #143
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
What's the chassis situation for the Corvettes anyways? They only built three 2014-2015 spec cars which meant having to borrow back Larbre's when they crashed one at Le Mans in 2015, and I don't know if they even have three 2016 spec cars or if one was meant to be going to Larbre.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 01:53 (Ref:3701151)   #144
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
They have always been close to the same speed at Daytona. Everyone seems to forget how different Daytona is than the rest of the season with so much time at top speed. There's no point in speeding them up for one race just to the slow them right after for Sebring.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 02:49 (Ref:3701152)   #145
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
GM's LT engine also hasn't run a race yet, period. I don't care if it's related to the old LS engine or that Corvette Racing has run the LT in a 5.5 liter version. The GTLM/GTE version is giving up over 100bhp over what the DPI spec version is asking for. Mazda's engine hasn't been run to about 600bhp reliably yet, nor has the Nissan GT-R engine been run in a prototype yet.

All DPIs also have no experience with running their engines to the 600hp mark for a 24 hour race yet.

Also for the GTLM/GTE cars, they're somewhat less powerful than GT3 cars (though supposedly a bit more powerful than GTDs), and for sure make more downforce--and more drag. The GTLM cars corner faster at the expense of top end speed, even with the GTD cars making less power than standard GT3s.
In past years I noticed that the GTLM cars were almost as quick as the DP cars in the infield section. So the downforce and aero really pays off there. But yeah these big high dollar factory run machines should have more horsepower than they do. Hopefully the teams are holding something back and they can qualify in the 1 min 42s when crunch time comes.

I also hope that the DPI class cars run into lots of mechanical issues during the 24 hour race itself.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 03:07 (Ref:3701156)   #146
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
GTE/GTLM cars have more down force and better tires than GT3 (GTD) cars. They also have less drag and more things they can adjust to take advantage of the unique track design at Daytona.

The old GTD cars (before the full FIA GT3 homologation) were faster than GTE/GTLM cars on the straights/banking at Daytona.

-mike
Old 9 Jan 2017, 06:56 (Ref:3701180)   #147
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rebellion won't have any trouble with IMSA rules---("We get a free lap ... just for losing a lap?") and as for the rest ... they did manage to win Petit.

The GTLMs seemed to be slower (in top end) at the tests, and quicker (compared to GTD) at the Roar. I don't foresee too many traffic issues (beyond the inevitable mass of traffic issues ... )

As for the rest ... It's all a crap shoot. I am sure the GM lobbying department is pulling out all the stops ....

Oh, and the Vette does not need a complete rebuild---just the engine compartment went up (fuel line.) The rest of the car is fine so they will just rebuild the front end.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 16:00 (Ref:3701289)   #148
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I think Performance Tech fired the driver who crashed their car at the Roar. Tough crowd.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 16:14 (Ref:3701295)   #149
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I think Performance Tech fired the driver who crashed their car at the Roar. Tough crowd.
He probably used up all of his rental money on the repairs.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 17:49 (Ref:3701322)   #150
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
from SC365:
Quote:
2016 Prototype Lites champion Clark Toppe, who was due to complete the lineup for the season-opener, has been ruled out after crashing the car at the Roar. A replacement driver has not yet been announced.