Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 4 Feb 2007, 10:08 (Ref:1833107)   #1
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Teams Behind the Teams

Apologies if this has been covered before, but is there a listing somewhere of which teams/racing organisations are in charge of the various country's A1GP operations?

I know that Alan Docking Racing are running the Australian effort, but that is about it. I assume there are other known GP2/F3/WSRenault squads running the other A1 teams?

I would be very interested to know who is running what, and who is teamed up with who in terms of data sharing in this category. In theory A1 seems to be a very controlled spec formula, but going by the pace of some cars compared to others, there must be plenty of scope for tuning the cars to the various circuits, thereby making clever engineers very handy weapons.

Ryan Briscoe's lack of results in the Team Aus car was very surprising to me, considering several of the drivers that were beating him were hardly better off than he in the talent department. All only IMO of course.
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 4 Feb 2007, 15:30 (Ref:1833237)   #2
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I know quite a few of them, as per the list below. Perhaps other folk could fill in the blanks?

Code:
 1.  Germany         Super Nova [with NZ]
 2.  New Zealand     Super Nova [with Germany]
 3.  China           ?            
 4.  Netherlands     Jan Lammers Racing     
 5.  Czech Republic  Charouz Racing [also Brazil, I think]
 6.  Malaysia        Team Malaysia's own, I think
 7.  Switzerland     ? [Max Welti's involved]
 8.  USA             West Surrey Racing
 9.  France          DAMS
10.  Great Britain   Team GBR's own [link with Canada]
11.  Brazil          Charouz Racing [also Czech Republic, I think]
12.  Italy           Ghinzani Racing
13.  Indonesia       ?
14.  Australia       Alan Docking Racing
15.  Mexico          Piers Masarati Racing
16.  India           ?
17.  Lebanon         Carlin Motorsport
18.  Ireland         Team Ireland's own
19.  Pakistan        Performance Racing Europe
20.  South Africa    ? [Mike Carroll's in charge]
21.  Canada          John Village Racing [link with GBR]
22.  Singapore       ?
It's a good question, because the team really makes a difference. Salvador Duran was a race winner last year when the Team Mexico car was prepared by DAMS, who also looked after France and Switzerland. He's just as good a driver this year, probably better, but the car is not. South Africa should be much higher up, too, because Alan van der Merwe is a classy driver.

As for India, they'll be much better for the last four races because Narain Karthikeyan's coming back!
Old 4 Feb 2007, 17:59 (Ref:1833347)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Astromega is running China.
Old 5 Feb 2007, 00:37 (Ref:1833600)   #4
nkfan
Racer

nkfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
India is run by Arena motosports !
Singapore >West Surrey Racing

cant wait for NK to drive again!!!!
Old 5 Feb 2007, 00:59 (Ref:1833606)   #5
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Good stuff, guys! Here's an update of the list:
Code:
 3.  China           Astromega           
 5.  Czech Republic  Charouz Racing [also Brazil, I think]
 6.  Malaysia        Team Malaysia's own, I think
 7.  Switzerland     ? [Max Welti's involved]
 9.  France          DAMS
10.  Great Britain   Team GBR's own [link with Canada]
11.  Brazil          Charouz Racing [also Czech Republic, I think]
13.  Indonesia       ?
16.  India           Arena Motorsport
18.  Ireland         Team Ireland's own
22.  Singapore       West Surrey Racing
Only three to go now!
Old 5 Feb 2007, 01:28 (Ref:1833619)   #6
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
All the team info is listed here by the way:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006-07...nd_Prix_season

And from what I've heard DAMs chief A1 engineer has moved to engineer for NZ/Germany. Interesting affect that has had on the results; Lapierre hasn't come close to his pace from last year. Conversely, NZ with basically the same drivers, has been far more successful since they teamed up with Supernova.

So. When's team GB going to pay ART/ASM to engineer for them?
Old 5 Feb 2007, 01:45 (Ref:1833621)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Excellent link. I guess that answers the original question completely!

Chris Gorne is the guy who engineered Team France last year and has moved across to Super Nova Racing, but he's actually looking after NZ. Another guy called Rob Cresswell is looking after Germany. Of course they pool information, but I reckon Hülkenberg is a bit special.

France has been strange this year. Lapierre never looked like repeating last year's triumphs, but things have been better since Loic Duval took over.

To be honest, I don't think there's anything wrong with GBR's engineer, James Robinson. He's very highly regarded, ex-F1 and engineered Mike Conway to win British F3 and the Macau F3 Grand Prix this year.

It's quite difficult for him. Kerr has a style that's different from most drivers, including Jarvis and the nearly forgotten Manning. I haven't heard Kerr complain about set-up much this year, as he did last year. If you're missing half a front wing or have a slow puncture, there's no magic an engineer can do to make it better!
Old 5 Feb 2007, 08:59 (Ref:1833730)   #8
Sid The Manager
Racer

Sid The Manager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Malaysia and indonesia run by CMS (ran the factory Le Mans MG's)
Old 5 Feb 2007, 20:15 (Ref:1834173)   #9
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Wow. Once again I'm set wondering why the hell Conway hasn't raced for Team GB.
Old 6 Feb 2007, 09:38 (Ref:1834563)   #10
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
Thanks guys, very interesting. Also interesting to hear about Mr Gorne engineering the Kiwi car now, it would seem that he is a very clever man indeed!
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 6 Feb 2007, 11:15 (Ref:1834612)   #11
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
this is the problem with A1 , and make no mistake I like the concept of A1 and in greneral everything A1 has done . but I think this topic is killing the sport and will limit its growth . Team sharing should be banned flat out its a canser that is hurting A1 , a class which boost its eveness clearly under the surface its all lies . each team should be independant to itself . I also think it should be put in place that teams must be ran by the countrymen of origin. How can for exmaple team Lebanon be team Lebanon when is staffed and ran by English (Calin Motorsport ) it can not !!!!

I like the concept of A1 by it has major fawls in this case
Old 6 Feb 2007, 12:06 (Ref:1834636)   #12
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At this developmental stage of A1, its hard for non motorsport countries to source team from countries such as China, Lebanon, Pakistan and so on.

I do agree that everyone looking after there own teams is the ideal situation but its not a something attainable yet. Eg. Even at the moment Team Aus mechanics and that are mostly English
Old 6 Feb 2007, 18:22 (Ref:1834853)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
At this developmental stage of A1, its hard for non motorsport countries to source team from countries such as China, Lebanon, Pakistan and so on.

I do agree that everyone looking after there own teams is the ideal situation but its not a something attainable yet.
Agree

British Super Nova team running Team Germany. The Germans must be ashamed.
Old 6 Feb 2007, 19:25 (Ref:1834888)   #14
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev
Wow. Once again I'm set wondering why the hell Conway hasn't raced for Team GB.
You and me both! He wasn't even invited to test pre-season.
Old 6 Feb 2007, 21:35 (Ref:1834952)   #15
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webber
I also think it should be put in place that teams must be ran by the countrymen of origin. How can for exmaple team Lebanon be team Lebanon when is staffed and ran by English (Calin Motorsport ) it can not !!!!
Agreed, but as someone else said you can't just force those smaller teams from developing motorsport nations to set up shop all by themselves. Some teams (e.g. China, Malaysia) are taking big steps to having a minimum %age of their crew from their respective nations, and that can only be a good thing.
Old 6 Feb 2007, 21:52 (Ref:1834968)   #16
jaysalv
Veteran

England
romford essex
jaysalv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
strider i think i can shed some light on the team behind team switzland and that is team jota run by sam hignett
Old 6 Feb 2007, 23:22 (Ref:1835019)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Thanks to Sid the Manager and jaysalv, I think we now have an almost complete list:
Code:
 5.  Czech Republic  ISR Charouz [also Brazil]
 6.  Malaysia        CMS
 7.  Switzerland     Team Jota [with Max Welti]
 9.  France          DAMS
10.  Great Britain   In-house [link with Canada]
11.  Brazil          ISR Charouz [also Czech Republic]
13.  Indonesia       CMS
18.  Ireland         In-house
Durban's coming up, so let's sort out South Africa...
Old 7 Feb 2007, 01:02 (Ref:1835061)   #18
META4
Veteran

META4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
south africa is DAM's i believe
Old 7 Feb 2007, 02:55 (Ref:1835090)   #19
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
although Greece appears to have dropped out, that was run by Arena as well
Old 7 Feb 2007, 09:06 (Ref:1835212)   #20
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.

I do agree that everyone looking after there own teams is the ideal situation but its not a something attainable yet. Eg. Even at the moment Team Aus mechanics and that are mostly English
Agreed. Ideally I would like to see each team constructing its own chassis designed and built in the country it is racing for, but that of course will never happen........... but it is nice to dream.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 14:56 (Ref:1835489)   #21
Francis Albert
Racer

Francis Albert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello,

I think South Africa is run by DAMS, as META4 said.

Brazil started the season with Charouz, but are no longer with them. Most of the crew are actually still the same though.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 17:27 (Ref:1835607)   #22
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
4. Netherlands Jan Lammers Racing
Official name is Racing for Holland.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 18:03 (Ref:1835635)   #23
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Thanks, FIRE, I'll do an update in a day or two because it seems the list is pretty much complete now.

If South Africa is run by DAMS, as a couple of people have said, I'm quite surprised they're not doing better. Adrian Zaugg won the first race of the year at Zandvoort, so maybe they should bring him back, but I've always rated Alan van der Merwe very highly.
Old 9 Feb 2007, 05:03 (Ref:1836945)   #24
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zaugg has been recovering from an operation of some sort but should be available for Durban. Perhaps he will get the nod again following Van der Merwe's Nur Ali like move on Nur Ali at Eastern Creek...
Old 9 Feb 2007, 21:15 (Ref:1837660)   #25
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Zaugg has been recovering from an operation of some sort but should be available for Durban. Perhaps he will get the nod again following Van der Merwe's Nur Ali like move on Nur Ali at Eastern Creek...
It looked to me as though Nur Ali did something unexpected, like backing off when when everyone was building up for the re-start. But maybe Swerve was a bit too close.

Anyway, back to the list, which now looks like this:
Code:
 4.  Netherlands     Racing for Holland     
 5.  Czech Republic  ISR Charouz [maybe with Brazil]
 6.  Malaysia        CMS
 7.  Switzerland     Team Jota [with Max Welti]
 9.  France          DAMS
10.  Great Britain   In-house [link with Canada]
11.  Brazil          In-house [with Charouz personnel]
13.  Indonesia       CMS
18.  Ireland         In-house
20.  South Africa    DAMS
Thanks to everyone for their input. Let me know if anything changes or needs to be corrected