Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 May 2000, 16:46 (Ref:839)   #1
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just read an article in an old Racecar magazine, where they discuss the merits of containing the speed of the old group A rally cars. The performance of these cars was phenomenal, and the FIA chose to introduce the 40mm restrictor on turbocharged cars, as a means of reducing the ever-increasing speeds. As car development caught up and sometimes passed the previous best, the FIA reduced the restrictor diameter further. The final diameter used before the demise of these cars was 34mm, and still the cars were very competitive.
The fact that these cars were able top reproduce the same level of performance while restricted, gives some indication of how fast they might have been, had the restrictors not been introduced.

The reason I mentioned the restrictor above is to illustrate what can be done to slow cars without compromising safety.

What's this got to do with Formula 1, and why isn't it the technical forum?

Well, I wanted to get your suggestions on the ideal regulations for the F1 cars of today. I remember the turbo era (just). I obviously remember the traction control/semi-automatic transmission and driver aids periods. But what I remember most fondly is the time before slicks (BS - how apt)

It seems incredible to me that the FIA introduced grooved tyres in order to make the sport safer. If they wanted to reduce the car cornering ability, why not reduce the width of the wings, or introduce a mechanical restriction into the air intake trumpets (All teams now run V10's, so there would be no disadvantage there.

What would you consider a balanced set of regs for todays championship?

So, would you include or eliminate:

Refuelling; One long race or as is?
Slicks vs grooves.
Turbo or Normally Aspirated?
Driver aids; Semi auto gearboxes, traction control, etc.
Electronic aids; speed limiter, etc.
Mechanical gearchanges vs buttons.
Reduced vs increased downforce.
Reduce engine capacity or keep as is? Or increase?
Special materials in brakes, transmission etc.
Reduced number of permitted pit crew (as in Cart)
Flags and penalties; Thorough review or just right?
Points system

Anything else?

Tell us how you'd like the show to go on.
Or are you absolutely convinced it's heading the right way?

Old 10 May 2000, 17:41 (Ref:840)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back to the turbo era for me! Big flat cars and wide slick tires and no driver aids of any kind - make the pilotes do the work. And bring back sportsmanship. Have DC give lessons if necessary. Or possibly have a sportsmanship component to the F1 racing: Whiners, pouters, backstabbers and handbag swingers get penalty points in this separate area, and the guy with the lowest point total at the end of the season gets an extra trophy and a lot of extra attention, maybe a bonus or something. Also hold classes in how to answer questions in the post-race (and how to ask them). Let Jacques say anything he wants to. Put a stop watch on MikaH and when his time's up he has to stop talking, even if he hasn't started yet.

The serious part is that we should go back to turbos and slicks and no driver aids at all.
Old 10 May 2000, 18:53 (Ref:841)   #3
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Also NO refueling, better head protection structure & raise minimum weight w/o driver.
Hey! We could be watching RACES!!
Old 10 May 2000, 19:52 (Ref:842)   #4
Sparky
Veteran

I forgot to mention my preferences;

1. A return to slicks.
2. Maybe a reduction in capacity and an increase in revs - 2.5 litres and 25,000 rpm anyone?
3. I'm happy with the electronics situation, as long as there is a level playing field.
4. Gurney flaps made illegal to allow clean air and closer racing.
5. Definately no refuelling!
6. I firmly beleive F1 should be a showcase for automotive design and engineering ability. Not stifled with restricted this and illegal that.
7. Everything else, I'm pretty OK with.

I would like to follow up on what Liz was saying about gentlemanly conduct. The debate about weaving at the start, and other instances of foul play shouldn't be necessary. In the golden days (Moss, Fangio etc,) there were unwritten rules about the way a driver conducted himself on and off the track. I guess I'm expecting too much for a return to those times.

Ho hum.

Old 10 May 2000, 20:51 (Ref:843)   #5
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Defenitely NO REFUELLING!!!!
Bring back the slicks.
Turbo AND normally aspirated engines.
No driver aids at all! Manual gearboxes, no traction control etc. Let them work for their money.
NO electronic aids. Get rid of all those computers in the car.
Engine capacity is OK the way it is.
Pit crew members would automatically be limited when refuelling is not allowed.
Old 11 May 2000, 06:43 (Ref:844)   #6
yorkie
Rookie

yorkie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My ideas

No refuelling . Lets return to the 5 second pit stops of the early 90s
Allow turbos with a reduced engine capacity, possibly down to 1 litre. Remove the silly V10 restriction to allow the screaming V12s back into the sport. Normally aspirated engines should remain at 3 litre.
Slicks. Stuff the silly grooves!
I would retain semi automatic gearboxes as it allows drivers to keep their hands on the wheel at all times.
Reintroduce active suspension. One standard system which could be programmed by the teams.
Remove CF brakes.
Ban the diffuser and gurney flaps. This will allow closer racing and also make mechanical grip more important.

I would also make circuit owners obliged to create at least three passing points on the track, at least one of these should encourage slipstreaming.
Old 11 May 2000, 18:03 (Ref:845)   #7
wodonnell
Racer

wodonnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was going to start a thread like this but Flavia Briatore "nicked" my ideas. :-)

I would propose:

No testing on tracks which host a GP.
Ie, Jerez, OK. Barcelona, not OK.

No Friday practice but unlimited laps for qualifying (as F3000). I think the 12 lap limit was there for financial reasons though so this may not be all that practicle. I suppose just 12 laps would make it more exciting if they had to get the set up and set a time in just a dozen laps.

The FIA is always introducing stupid ways to slow cars down (Grooved tyres). Why not just have a speed limit. I know is sounds a bit daft but they do it in truck racing.

Restricting the budget of the top teams to give the smaller teams a chance.

Not so much car regulations as sporting regulation changes, but I think they would help.
Old 11 May 2000, 20:25 (Ref:846)   #8
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good Topic !

1. Ban refuelling
2. Slick Tyres
3. Only normal atmo engines
4. 3 Litre engines
5. Sequential Gearbox (as in CART)
6. Steel Brakes (no carbon fibre)
7. Ban rear diffusers

Change of points structure.

1. Top 6 unchanged
But
2.- 2 points for Pole
3. 1 point for fastest lap

This would help to reward the fastest driver/car combination as opposed to the most tactical/lucky/reliable.
Old 11 May 2000, 21:41 (Ref:847)   #9
Sparky
Veteran

Guess what I just read in today's Autosport!?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Formula 1 teams have tested treaded tyres as the sport tries to work out how to control speeds for next season. Two types of tyres with reduced contact patches between rubber and road have been tested.
One has an extra, fifth circumferential groove, the other has that, together with some diagonal lateral grooves.
Both types of tyre degraded rapidly.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not good news! Doesn't anybody in authority actually read this forum?!
Old 12 May 2000, 07:23 (Ref:848)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

I think that officials have lost the plot regarding tyres.

I think that they should be looking to increase mechanical grip, through slick tyres,and decrease aerodynamic grip through banning of diffusers, reducing wing sizes and banning of barge boards.

They always look at tyres because they see them as a quick fix, easily implemented and regulated. I beleive the whole area of areo needs to be looked at, which the late Harvey Postlethwaite was doing prior to his sudden death.
Old 12 May 2000, 19:39 (Ref:849)   #11
Sparky
Veteran

It would appear that Peter Sauber visits the forums!

The last item in my 'change it' list was the points system. Guess what PS wants a review of?

He would like to see points awarded down to 12th, and points for pole and most laps led.

That would be incentive for the teams outside the top three, would it not?
Old 12 May 2000, 20:13 (Ref:850)   #12
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Its obvious Sparky, you and I should be running F1. Do you have a white shirt ?
Old 12 May 2000, 20:16 (Ref:851)   #13
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
One thing about Peter Sauber.

I guess he can prove to be the most unselfish team owner in F1.

As extra points for pole and most laps in the lead is unlikely to benefit his team.

However - points down to 12th place - now w'ere talking turkey !!!
Old 12 May 2000, 20:22 (Ref:852)   #14
Sparky
Veteran

I'll borrow Bernie's - he might leave a few quid in the pocket!