Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 22 Feb 2017, 15:55 (Ref:3714042)   #51
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
On a side note it'll take some getting used to the fact that once a car heads to the garage, it's gone. I do look forward to seeing what sort of drama we'll have on pit road though, when teams try to fix crash damage there within the 5-minute window.
Is that plate tracks only? Or super speedways (anything longer than 1.5?) So they are going to let them sit on pit road and thrash on a car for 5 mins? Don't really like the guys over the wall for that long; seems to increase their chances of getting hit....

I have been banging on not letting cars come back out, patched together for years ever since Robby Gordon's hood went flying into the back stretch stands at Daytona because the 200 mph tape couldn't hold it. I guess it flying into the backstretch stands is no longer an issue.....

There'd be no need for cars to return to the track in 30 plus position 100 laps down if the points system was 'correct'. Sorry, this is me complaining again....happens every time!
Old 22 Feb 2017, 19:17 (Ref:3714081)   #52
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have mulled over the new points system for a while
first problems is that they applied it to every race.
i think the standouts should be unique long races.
the daytona500, brickyard 400, bristol and martinsville (and road coruses etc..) to separate them from the sportsmans and lower series in terms of distance and overall driver/team/equipment fitness
the rest of the races, break them up into heats or stages, and award points as they laid out, it would make for a very intersting and dynamic season of races and all of them matter now.

i still would not double date tracks for Cup, there are lots of great tracks to visit.

think of some races where drivers settle into a waiting game for the last few laps, now it will be a slugfest .

could they trim the total race length, i think they should.
like i have said Trucks are some of the best in NASCAR length and race action, as it should it is the top 3, but lesson on length here.
Old 23 Feb 2017, 14:38 (Ref:3714274)   #53
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll likely sit through the qualifying races this evening. Chase is on the pole and if nothing else, I'll be following Chase, not the series.

And apparently, some nascar fans weren't ready for the Monster Energy girls. I'd prefer my kids see them than have me frantically looking for the mute button during erictle dysfunction commercials.

This is the best I've seen so far:
https://twitter.com/DGodfatherMoody/...91172622176259
https://twitter.com/DGodfatherMoody/...61698980540416

Thanks, Mr. Moody.

Goooo Chase!

Old 26 Feb 2017, 16:55 (Ref:3714859)   #54
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Think I have the flu along with one son, so we'll add to the suffering by watching the 500 together today. Looks like the support races have damaged / totaled plenty of machines and added to the Daytona / NASCAR smash up highlight reels. They can't keep plate racing like this for too much longer.

Since the cough woke me and the boy up early, we watched the mini docs on Bobby Isacc and Harry Hyde setting some records in Bonneville in a banned Dodge Daytona and Tiny Lund's visit to Daytona in 63. Very educational for us both! I knew about Tiny but not Bobby's world records. Dirt tracking a 10 mile circle on salt in a 426 ci Dodge Daytona and winning the 500 as a sub for someone you saved after nearly dying in a Birdcage Maserati: I don't think it gets much cooler than that!
Old 26 Feb 2017, 18:26 (Ref:3714881)   #55
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
So there's no Daytona 500 anymore really. That's gone.

A Daytona 'bits and bobs' has replaced the Daytona 500.

The points are just a horrible mess that'd flummox a guy with a maths degree.

I'll see just what they put on tonight. But instead of being enthused by the first big major of the year -- I find myself just indifferent.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 19:28 (Ref:3714893)   #56
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Daytona 500
Old 26 Feb 2017, 20:21 (Ref:3714908)   #57
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Mmmmm. Daytona 500...with "60 laps" on the ticker thing.

It must be the new Daytona-Nordschleife I'm watchin' here...
Old 26 Feb 2017, 20:36 (Ref:3714911)   #58
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I will say that the stage at least broke up the pack through a strategy deal but the packs need to be broken up in a different way. Make these guys actually drive through the turns. Remove down force and grip plus less power and we might get something that appeals to me for dega and Daytona. Just waiting on the big one and there's not a whole bunch that interests me in this show, outside the Monster Energy Girls. And Chase.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 20:40 (Ref:3714913)   #59
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Mmmmm. Daytona 500...with "60 laps" on the ticker thing.
DW said that the drivers were really in favor of this format and it will be what brings the sport back to greatness. Nonsense.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 20:41 (Ref:3714914)   #60
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Color me cautiously optimistic about the segments - the last ten or so laps before the caution were pretty darn exciting.

I still think the new points system is overly complicated but so far I really like the racing it's produced.

And how about that #21 - looks like Blaney is completely fearless
Old 26 Feb 2017, 20:47 (Ref:3714917)   #61
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

And apparently, some nascar fans weren't ready for the Monster Energy girls
Oh, brother!
Old 26 Feb 2017, 21:25 (Ref:3714925)   #62
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Kylie Busch throwing shade at Goodyear after he blows a tire and collects a handful of others....
Old 26 Feb 2017, 22:07 (Ref:3714931)   #63
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
And stages breed wrecks. Well played nascar.

Edit: quick remote work to avoid my son hearing the statement "seek immediate medical attention for an erection that lasts longer than 4 hours".

And Monster Energy Girls are a problem.....

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 26 Feb 2017 at 22:14.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 22:20 (Ref:3714934)   #64
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Yay, more crashing. And Jeff Gordon doesn't get why. You gotta be effing kidding me.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 22:31 (Ref:3714937)   #65
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
And there's another one and the Big One. This is so fking stupid.

If I didn't have the flu, I wouldn't be watching this nonsense. If Chase can't continue, I won't watch anymore.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 22:48 (Ref:3714939)   #66
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I will struggle to understand how aerodynamics only act in a turn, and not on a straight.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 23:29 (Ref:3714946)   #67
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
In****ingcredible. My complete craptastic period in sports continues. At least Sliced Doosh didn't win but Kurt.....
Old 26 Feb 2017, 23:32 (Ref:3714947)   #68
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't care what anyone says, that was an exciting race. Shame Chase couldn't hang on to the lead but at least Logano didn't win so I'm happy.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 23:55 (Ref:3714949)   #69
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
First blow for a SHR Ford....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 26 Feb 2017, 23:57 (Ref:3714950)   #70
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
It featured good racing. I wouldn't say it didn't because it did. But the attrition was nutty.

I take the philosophical view about tampering with the routine races. There is the iphone generation and you gotta adjust to their attention-span. Or at least that's the unavoidable realpolitik of it anyway.

But shredding the majors up just diminishes them, unnecessarily so. I want a muscular, fast, unpredictable endurance event for the majors where fatigue is a factor that sets it apart from the rest.

A bunch of preplanned pauses and sprints and the like is unsuited to a major event. I don't care what they call it, it wasn't the "500", it was something less than that. And that's a shame because it's so unnecessary. You could have a rejigged system with variety that was reasonable to everybody and allowed the majors to retain their prominence.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 00:25 (Ref:3714957)   #71
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
I don't care what anyone says, that was an exciting race. Shame Chase couldn't hang on to the lead but at least Logano didn't win so I'm happy.
It was an exciting end to an absolute, complete $hit show.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 10:30 (Ref:3715049)   #72
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nevr ceases to amaze me how that in a sport where millions are spent on eery detail of engine performance and car setup.

Drivers are allowed to be fat, cars are covered in stickers inside and a few of them run out of fuel in the biggest race in their calendar.

I even knew about fuel in autograss for God's sake. I know they are pushing to the limit, but to run out and apparently for this to happen a lot, is embarrassing and rather unprofessional
Old 27 Feb 2017, 10:51 (Ref:3715067)   #73
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought I'd give the closing stages of the race a go and I have to say I wasn't impressed. Aside from having a lot fewer cars out there thanks to earlier incidents (although a few more than I expected to be out there to be fair).

Most of the last 15 laps involved everyone waiting for an opportunity. That mentality, possibly made worse because of the need to stay in line because of the aero needed, made for really dull viewing. Then rather than a dramatic finish we get the leaders running out of fuel, leaving one guy clear.

That need to stay in line just to hold your position is what has, in my opinion, led to the contrived stage race format. Rather than have everyone ride along in line for a few hours before the finish, let's create two additional fake-finishes so everyone has to put some effort in. Probably far easier to do that than alter the cars or the tracks to promote multiple line racing.

I hadn't got round to cancelling my Premier Sports subscription but yesterday reminded me I have to do it. I'm not paying £10+ per month to watch that.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 14:25 (Ref:3715117)   #74
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Nevr ceases to amaze me how that in a sport where millions are spent on eery detail of engine performance and car setup.

Drivers are allowed to be fat, cars are covered in stickers inside and a few of them run out of fuel in the biggest race in their calendar.

I even knew about fuel in autograss for God's sake. I know they are pushing to the limit, but to run out and apparently for this to happen a lot, is embarrassing and rather unprofessional
Your comments are rather shortsighted, completely off base and easy to make in hindsight. How many nascar races have you seen come down to fuel mileage where if you pit for fuel, you are guaranteed to lose? Risk it and you just might win. There's been cautions in the last 10 laps for the last 8 of 10 500s (or something like that) where you can just about bank on stopping for fuel.

Not as easy as you are making it out to be, but I'm no professional...
Old 27 Feb 2017, 15:05 (Ref:3715125)   #75
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not being American or a particular fan of NASCAR I don't need to be called shortsighted to be honest, I am merely a racefan who watches probably more different types of motorsport than a lot of people on both two and four wheels and hardly ever sees a car run out of fuel, yet in the few NASCAR races I have watched in recent years it always seems to be a topic of conversation a reality and something they really push to the nth degree. And I have seen it happen a few times on ovals.

Look at it from the outside instead of from your pickup!!