Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Sep 2003, 02:50 (Ref:717069)   #1
favara
Rookie

favara should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Richards fired !!! and JV stay.

David Richards failed much more than Jacques Villeneuve
this year. Sorry but is gonna get fired before JV.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 02:54 (Ref:717072)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
We (usually) try to put more thought and substance into our posts here mate, but welcome to ten tenths anyway.

Because this is wishful thinking rather than fact, I've altered the thread title.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 03:41 (Ref:717081)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
True that the whole of BAR has performed well below expectations. I don't see JV back next year, and I'm a fan of his. So unless DR is fired before the end of the season, then I would disagree.

Welcome to 10/10ths.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 05:14 (Ref:717104)   #4
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richards would have to get fired awfully quickly to beat JV out the door & i just can't see it happening. My money's on JV to get the boot first.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 08:58 (Ref:717180)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think Richards is the best thing to happen at BAR personally ! I cant see him going for long time.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 09:17 (Ref:717195)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: David Richards fired !!! and JV stay.

Quote:
Originally posted by favara
David Richards failed much more than Jacques Villeneuve
this year.
Blimey, if DR failed more than JV this year he must have been awful, because, to be honest, thats what JV has been this season.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 09:20 (Ref:717198)   #7
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
i think Richards is the best thing to happen at BAR personally ! I cant see him going for long time.
Not that it's all that hard to be the best thing that's happened to BAR, they haven't had a great deal of success in their short history.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 10:07 (Ref:717214)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rubbish. BAR have done extrememly well this year, currently beating the much-better-financed Toyota and Jaguar despite the massive handicap of Bridgestone tyres.

Villeneuve has underperformed this year, but Jenson has really taken the fight to the big teams.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 10:14 (Ref:717219)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Richards' seat is safe. I'm sure.

I have seen nothing (not even comedy rumours) about a problem.

The only mistake I can think of this yeaar is not having a spare driver at Monaco, but that isn't a big thing. The overall performance of the car in some ways out of his control. I think he has done as good a job as anyone in gettign the best out of the team this year.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 10:54 (Ref:717243)   #10
Coach44
Racer

Coach44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's the article (from RDS.ca)and the translation:

BAR : David Richards serait congédié
Selon Christian Tortora, qui cite de sources qu'il qualifie de plausibles, le patron de BAR, David Richards, serait sur le point de se faire congédier par British American Tobacco (BAT), propriétaire et commanditaire principal de British American Racing.
Toujours selon Tortora, BAT serait insatisfaite du travail de Richards et tiendrait Ã* tout prix Ã* garder le pilote québécois au sein de l'écurie BAR.

Richards risquerait donc de se retrouver au chômage avant Villeneuve, qui resterait au sein de l'écurie.

Translation:

BAR: David Richards would be fired

According to Christian Tortora, who quotes sources that he describes as plausible ( reliable), the owner of BAR, David Richards, would be about to be fired by British American Tobacco (BAT), owner and principal partner of British American Racing. Always according to Tortora, BAT would be dissatisfied of Richards's work and would make a point at all costs of keeping the pilot québécois within BAR. Richards would likely to be on unemployment before Villeneuve, which would remain within the BAR.

Remember when there's smoke....
Old 13 Sep 2003, 11:12 (Ref:717262)   #11
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you have one car that seems to constantly retire it would seem to me you have a problem with the preperation of said car. The team on JV's car is underperforming in my view and action needed to have been taken. It is then up to upper management(DR) to get the ball rolling. There's seems to be a distinct lack of focus on one side of the BAR garage. Considering all the "yapping" that has gone on, read DR-JV, that is 'somewhat' understandable. However in the end the BAR team is supposed to be a professional orginization and should react as such. Which they haven't.
IMO!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 13 Sep 2003, 11:15 (Ref:717268)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Coach44
according to Tortora, BAT would be dissatisfied of Richards's work
Who do they think they are, Jaguar?
Quote:
....it has usually come out of a journo's backside.
IMHO, more often there is tonnes of smoke and no fire.

Still thanks for the quote and link, before there wasn't even smoke.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 11:29 (Ref:717275)   #13
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Tortora French for Pollock?
Old 13 Sep 2003, 11:45 (Ref:717287)   #14
Coach44
Racer

Coach44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No he's not......He's a reporter working for RDS. You can see him every race weekend on RDS.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 12:50 (Ref:717366)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
With that logic JV is a gonna then.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 13:07 (Ref:717404)   #16
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yeah sack richards and keep villeneuve...what a masterplan!
Old 13 Sep 2003, 13:10 (Ref:717412)   #17
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Yep, and the go sit at the back with Minardi and Jordan.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 13:29 (Ref:717448)   #18
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they let DR go then they are nothing short of complete idiots. They allowed another idiot to run things for much longer than that, all the time making backward steps.

JV seems to have the wind taken out of his sails. Even his interviews sound a little depressing. Personally, I feel JV has shot himself in many ways.

On autosport he said there are a lot of people he could have embarrassed but he chose not to. Well I think he has embarrassed a lot of people, himself included.

Last edited by neilap; 13 Sep 2003 at 13:30.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 14:10 (Ref:717510)   #19
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can someone please pull the dagger out my back.
It's starting to sting a bit.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 14:22 (Ref:717518)   #20
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Oops, sorry man! I was pushing instead of pulling
Old 13 Sep 2003, 14:36 (Ref:717532)   #21
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I personally can't work out the seeming on-going poor performance of one car i.e JV's.

On the basis that they are all rebuilt so often and have new gismo's put on all the time IMO it is highly statistically unlikely that JV always gets the 'bum' deal.

Take Renault this season. Trulli had poor reliability at the beginning of the season and some bad luck but it hasn't been consistent. He has had some breaks and done better than Alonso.

So, I think much (but not all) of the underperformance is down to the driver. Therefore JV will be on his way and DR will live to fight another day.

But for BAR, unless they can extract themselves from mid-pack in the very short term like Mike Gascoyne and Co. have done at Renault (from a similar position) then no doubt someome will be brought in.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 15:32 (Ref:717567)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Translation:

According to Christian Tortora, who quotes sources that he describes as plausible ( reliable), the owner of BAR, David Richards, would be about to be fired by British American Tobacco (BAT), owner and principal partner of British American Racing.
Thats reliable, David Richards is team principal of BAR, not owner.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 15:53 (Ref:717574)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It is a translation, but you're right, if he is the (sole) owner then surely he would have to sack himself.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 16:03 (Ref:717577)   #24
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 is a funny old sport so anything is possible - especially if you have a nice redundancy clause in place.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 17:27 (Ref:717618)   #25
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yup, and I don't know if I'd completely call it crazy...BAT and Villeneuve seem to be very close. BAT were also the first tobacco company to come out and say they'd gladly drop their logos at the Canadian GP so that Villeneuve could race there..hmmm... They might have something to say about their driver lineup next year, and Richards might disagree.

It doesn't make any sense, but neither does Jaguar and Toyota being fire happy. On paper at least, the team has not improved at all since Richards has come in. IMO, he hasn't been given enough time to make a difference, but this is Formula 1. If you're not getting poles your first time out (interestingly JV is one of the few to do that!), you get sacked. It's a blood sport.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes