Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 7 Mar 2012, 11:49 (Ref:3036464)   #226
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Gulf Racing Middle East ? ..... thats brilliant news . Hope they have both of them in the one car .
I'm not sure they can?- the ACO driver grading rules say that there has to be a 'Silver' or 'Bronze'-graded driver in each car for LMP2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO rulebook
For the LMP2 category only: the rule governing the composition of the crews derives from the categorisations of the drivers: a crew of 2 or 3 drivers must include at least one Silver or Bronze driver
I think Giroix was graded 'Gold' last year, and Fatien 'Bronze'?

Johansson will be either a 'Platinum' or 'Gold' depending on his age (According to the rulebook, drivers eligible for 'Platinum' grading are graded 'Gold' if they're over 55- IIRC Stefan is 55), and I'm assuming Charouz would be Platinum as well (he's had a couple of F1 reserve/test driver gigs, so presumably will hold an F1 Superlicence)

How about Maxime Jousse and Keiko Ihara? both with single-seater backgrounds, but as I recall, Ihara didn't do much in British F3 and I know little about Jousse apart from him being Julien Jousse's younger brother..

Just looked Jousse up -6th in Italian F3 last year according to Wikipedia, which if I'm reading the rulebook correctly suggests he may be another Gold, so I'm guessing Ihara must be to be 'Silver' at best?

I thought the entry list as given on Planetlemans had the Gulf pairings as Giroix/Jousse in #28, and Fatien/Ihara in #29?

If I'm interpreting the gradings right ,and they had already announced those pairings, I think they might now need a bit of a reshuffle to put Fatien in one car and Ihara in the other to give their required Silver/Bronze driver in each?

Of course, I could be reading all of this wrongly and talking total garbage...
Either way, putting Johansson and Charouz into the Gulf cars makes them much more interesting contenders in P2...

Last edited by KA; 7 Mar 2012 at 12:11. Reason: added info
Old 7 Mar 2012, 12:03 (Ref:3036473)   #227
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
I'm not sure they can?- the ACO drive grading rules say that there has to be a 'Silver' or 'Bronze'-graded driver in each car for LMP2.

For the LMP2 category only: the rule governing the composition of the crews derives from the categorisations of the drivers: a crew of 2 or 3 drivers must include at least one Silver or Bronze driver

I think Giroix was graded 'Gold' last year, and Fatien 'Bronze'?

Johansson will be either a 'Platinum' or 'Gold' depending on his age (According to the rulebook, drivers eligible for 'Platinum' grading are graded 'Gold' if they're over 55- IIRC Stefan is 55), and I'm assuming Charouz would be Platinum as well (he's had a couple of F1 reserve/test driver gigs, so presumably will hold an F1 Superlicence)

How about Maxime Jousse and Keiko Ihara? both with single-seater backgrounds, but as I recall, Ihara didn't do much in British F3 and I know little about Jousse apart from him being Julien Jousse's younger brother

I though the entry list had the Gulf pairings as Giroix/Jousse in #28, and Fatien/Ihara in #29

Just looked Jousse up -6th in Italian F3 last year according to Wikipedia, which if I'm reading the rulebook correctly suggests he may be another Gold, so I'm guessing Ihara has to be 'Silver' at best? If they had already announced the pairings I'd posted, I think they might need to have a bit of a reshuffle to have Fatien in one car and Ihara in the other to give their required Silver/Bronze driver in each?

Of course, I could be reading all of this wrongly...
Maxime Jousse is Silver as per the ACO's classification this year, as far as I'm aware.

Last edited by Victor_RO; 7 Mar 2012 at 12:09.
Old 7 Mar 2012, 12:13 (Ref:3036479)   #228
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Maxime Jousse is Silver as per the ACO's classification this year, as far as I'm aware.
Thanks Victor- that makes a bit more sense- either way, I suspect we might not see Johansson and Charouz in the same car
Old 7 Mar 2012, 12:15 (Ref:3036480)   #229
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Thanks Victor- that makes a bit more sense- either way, I suspect we might not see Johansson and Charouz in the same car
Definitely not, for Sebring it's apparently Giroix-Jousse-TBA and Fatien-Ihara-TBA right now. So it would be definitely Johansson in one car and Charouz in the other, let's see which one in what car.

As for the driver classifications, bookmark this link and have a look at it: http://www.lemans.org/wpphpFichiers/...tification.pdf Maxime Jousse is on page 4 (after his brother in the list) and is classified as Silver (while his brother is classified as Platinum). As for Johansson, you're right, he is graded as Gold (probably on the age rule; Martin Brundle is 52 and therefore still classified as Platinum).
Old 7 Mar 2012, 15:45 (Ref:3036557)   #230
KA
Veteran

E-I are listing the Gulf Lola drivers as

Giroix-Jousse-Charouz
Fatien-Ihara-Johansson
http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...ance-9759.html
Old 7 Mar 2012, 16:05 (Ref:3036573)   #231
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
E-I are listing the Gulf Lola drivers as

Giroix-Jousse-Charouz
Fatien-Ihara-Johansson
http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...ance-9759.html
Well now that it's announced, they all would, wouldn't they.
Old 7 Mar 2012, 17:56 (Ref:3036608)   #232
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
They all would what Victor ?
Old 7 Mar 2012, 20:23 (Ref:3036647)   #233
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
They all would what Victor ?
They all would... have them listed as such, of course.
Old 7 Mar 2012, 20:50 (Ref:3036658)   #234
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Definitely not, for Sebring it's apparently Giroix-Jousse-TBA and Fatien-Ihara-TBA right now. So it would be definitely Johansson in one car and Charouz in the other, let's see which one in what car.

As for the driver classifications, bookmark this link and have a look at it: http://www.lemans.org/wpphpFichiers/...tification.pdf Maxime Jousse is on page 4 (after his brother in the list) and is classified as Silver (while his brother is classified as Platinum). As for Johansson, you're right, he is graded as Gold (probably on the age rule; Martin Brundle is 52 and therefore still classified as Platinum).
Funny to see Rui Aguas as Silver and Waltrip in Platinum.
When you see them on the track it looks like Rui is Gold and Waltrip Silver.
Old 7 Mar 2012, 20:52 (Ref:3036659)   #235
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
Funny to see Rui Aguas as Silver and Waltrip in Platinum.
Waltrip was a "factory" driver and multiple race winner in NASCAR and he's under 55 years of age, so they classified him as such.
Old 7 Mar 2012, 21:00 (Ref:3036668)   #236
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Waltrip was a "factory" driver and multiple race winner in NASCAR and he's under 55 years of age, so they classified him as such.
I know all that. It just hasn't shown on the track. Rui hasn't driven enough times to be higher up but he's shown quality.
Old 8 Mar 2012, 01:24 (Ref:3036771)   #237
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not sure how you would classify Michael Waltrip as a factory driver. NASCAR (and Indycar) drivers generally are signed with their teams, not with manufacturers. Teams have affiliations with manufacturers, but then almost every NASCAR/IRL driver would be classified as being a factory driver if you use that as factory driver criteria. Waltrip may own a team that receives manufacturer money and drive for himself, but it's not like he's receiving that manufacturer money for his driving. Someone like Tony Stewart would be a different story. Of course, I would put Michael Waltrip more in the class of owner-drivers like Brett Bodine and Dave Marcis than Tony Stewart. Of course, all of those drivers have won Winston Cup races.
Old 8 Mar 2012, 13:33 (Ref:3036995)   #238
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
The Waltrip thing is a joke really. The ACO/FIA should acknowledge that NASCAR racing requires a vastly different skill set and as such the amount of success there doesn't always transfer well to road racing.

Sure, there are plenty of NASCAR drivers who are recent road racers as well but I wouldn't classify any of them as platinum for sports car racing really.

Waltrip is a silver driver in road racing terms, gold if we´re really really generous.
Old 8 Mar 2012, 17:27 (Ref:3037129)   #239
KlBD
Racer

KlBD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

So, does it mean anything that apparently regulations state that teams in LMP2/GTE Am must have one or more silver or below drivers, yet the document which lists all the driver classifications says at the end that the document itself "has no regulatory value"? Or is that just fancy rulesspeak confusing me?

After combing through it, it seems there have been very little movements from last year (3-4 drivers have upgraded rankings), and it's weird to see a driver like Marino Franchitti only being rated as gold. Sure, he doesn't fit the exact criteria of open wheeler success that platinum requires, but surely based on the clause that his achievements otherwise can attest he is arguably of platinum grade? Though as you guys have been discussing certainly politics plays a role in deciding these rankings as well...

edit: Also despite so many ALMS drivers being on this listing, Steven Kane is also missing? What do you guys reckon he would probably be rated? I think on the back of last year's performance probably gold.
Old 8 Mar 2012, 17:36 (Ref:3037136)   #240
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlBD View Post
So, does it mean anything that apparently regulations state that teams in LMP2/GTE Am must have one or more silver or below drivers, yet the document which lists all the driver classifications says at the end that the document itself "has no regulatory value"? Or is that just fancy rulesspeak confusing me?

After combing through it, it seems there have been very little movements from last year (3-4 drivers have upgraded rankings), and it's weird to see a driver like Marino Franchitti only being rated as gold. Sure, he doesn't fit the exact criteria of open wheeler success that platinum requires, but surely based on the clause that his achievements otherwise can attest he is arguably of platinum grade? Though as you guys have been discussing certainly politics plays a role in deciding these rankings as well...

edit: Also despite so many ALMS drivers being on this listing, Steven Kane is also missing? What do you guys reckon he would probably be rated? I think on the back of last year's performance probably gold.
Fancy rulespeak I guess. And drivers can probably apply for a classification during the season anyway, especially if they are brought in for Le Mans in a class which requires some form of driver rating restriction (i.e. everything bar GTE-Pro). As for Steven Kane, he had quite a "random" career before going to the ALMS, jumping from series to series, but with his pace in the ALMS at the end of last year, he should probably be classified as Gold.
Old 8 Mar 2012, 20:07 (Ref:3037205)   #241
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to Dagys ACO has given Corvette a 0.4mm larger restrictor.
I'm wondering if this is the same increase that we discussed earlier (I think it was in this thread)

Last edited by Spyderman; 8 Mar 2012 at 20:12.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 13:48 (Ref:3037514)   #242
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, there is not Spotter guide for sebring 1 week before the event?
Old 9 Mar 2012, 13:51 (Ref:3037515)   #243
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I'm wondering if this is the same increase that we discussed earlier (I think it was in this thread)
Yes, I think IMSA just posted the already posted FIA/ACO changes that were highlighted earlier in this thread (post 175). So in other words, IMSA did not change the ACO's restrictor/wing height rules for GTE.

I'm not sure if the IMSA LMP regs are any different from the ACO. I do find the IMSA stated P2 regs interesting. The only engine missing is the Nissan, so I don't know what their restrictor is, but the HPD has a 1.7mm bigger restrictor than the Ford, and the Judd had a 0.5mm bigger restrictor than initial size. I think those increases in the Judd and HPD are carryovers from the ACO adjustments last year.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 14:17 (Ref:3037520)   #244
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Old 9 Mar 2012, 16:35 (Ref:3037575)   #245
C6R Racing Fan
Racer

United States
Ohio, USA
C6R Racing Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridC6R Racing Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdragon View Post
Hey, there is not Spotter guide for sebring 1 week before the event?

Saturday from what I hear, for the A.Blackmore version!
Old 9 Mar 2012, 23:55 (Ref:3037766)   #246
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Oh dear. I imagine there will be so much sandbagging in the practice sessions and qualy for GTE from BMW, Corvette, and Porsche. Ferrari has come out guns blazing however. If they can go lower than 2:00:0 they ran in test then I will be impressed. I cant make any qualified predictions but a Vette with more front downforce and more power is going to be very good.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 03:34 (Ref:3037786)   #247
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C6R Racing Fan View Post
Saturday from what I hear, for the A.Blackmore version!
Sunday or Monday. Largest guide ever produced and a couple of teams are still working on designs
Old 11 Mar 2012, 01:01 (Ref:3038099)   #248
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but JRM has their LMP1 livery up.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 05:28 (Ref:3038150)   #249
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Id expect that to change somehow , distinct lack of sponsorship here !!!
Old 11 Mar 2012, 06:13 (Ref:3038160)   #250
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They never really had big sponsor logos on the SumoPower or JRM GT1 GTRs tho.