Old 4 Jul 2002, 09:10 (Ref:326899)   #1
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael set to retire says Damon...

From the BBC :

Damon Hill believes four-times world champion Michael Schumacher is poised to retire from Formula One.
Hill, who famously duelled with Schumacher in the 1990s, says the German has been hurt by the boos that have followed his Ferrari team around the world this season.

And the Briton believes Scumacher may be content to equal Juan Manuel Fangio's record of five drivers' titles and then get out of Formula One later this year.

"I have been studying Michael very closely and I honestly feel he could pack it all in at the end of the season," Hill told The Sun newspaper.

"Michael has been used to having his achievements cheered so the boos he received in Austria and in subsequent races must make him think 'what's the point in carrying on?'

"Michael's entire body language suggests he's not getting the same kind of enjoyment from winning as he used to," said Hill.

"While Ferrari are the current dominant force, there is no guarantee Michael will be so competitive next season so he may well feel it's best to bow out while at the very top."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/hi/engli...00/2091264.stm

Last edited by fast95pony; 4 Jul 2002 at 09:11.
Old 4 Jul 2002, 09:17 (Ref:326904)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He said it more than once during the last race on digital. Damon is normally spot on with things, but I'm not so sure about this one. Damon seems quite convinced with it though.

Retirement stories surface every couple of months for Michael and have done for the last three years or so!

Oh and Damon reckons DC is a "future world champion" according to autosport.com.

Maybe Damon is having an off day!
Old 4 Jul 2002, 09:47 (Ref:326919)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, wouldn't be suprised if he's right myself, to be honest - Michael has won five world championships, and to be honest does he really need six?

Some of the cricketing fans on ten-tenths may remember Mark Taylor levelling Sir Dons highest ever score of 334 not out, and then declaring immediatly - perhaps Michael will be content with 5, because he knows he is not as good as Fangio - its a funny thing that I am trying to say, but I hope some of you understand me....???

Guess time will prove me wrong...
Old 4 Jul 2002, 10:19 (Ref:326937)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Damon certainly knows Schumacher far better than any of us, so I'm really suprised by this. I'd have expected M$'d take a shot next year at a record 6th title, and then immediatly retire. Curious...
Old 4 Jul 2002, 10:20 (Ref:326938)   #5
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Perhaps more booing, jeers and catcalls from the British F1 fans will help MSch to decide. I am sure if he had won in Germany, he may have received some hostile jeering there also.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 4 Jul 2002, 10:24 (Ref:326940)   #6
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Damon is his closest friend, they spend lot of time together and also Damon is renowned for his unique skill to correctly appreciate the right time of a retirement.....

Last edited by Red; 4 Jul 2002 at 10:25.
Old 4 Jul 2002, 10:31 (Ref:326950)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Do I detect a note of sarcasm there Red?

Old 4 Jul 2002, 10:46 (Ref:326957)   #8
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, Damon certainly knew how to retire on a high.......
Old 4 Jul 2002, 10:54 (Ref:326961)   #9
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Moi Valve? Sarcastic? Naaahhhh....
Old 4 Jul 2002, 11:49 (Ref:326990)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Whew!! For a moment, I thought you were joking

Old 4 Jul 2002, 13:19 (Ref:327049)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
LMAO @ Red
Old 4 Jul 2002, 13:40 (Ref:327060)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Red, are you a close friend to Damon too ????

Why don't the British fans make a big flag with a "TGF GO HOME" or "SENNA DID NOT OBEY ORDERS" ?

Uhn... it's not a good idea after all...
Old 4 Jul 2002, 14:25 (Ref:327077)   #13
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Red, are you a close friend to Damon too ????
Wish I were. That's why I didn't have a clue and Damon's retirement took me by surprise.

Err.... Bon, maybe on the flag shall also read that "Once upon a time a guy named Alain was fired ..."

Last edited by Red; 4 Jul 2002 at 14:27.
Old 4 Jul 2002, 14:49 (Ref:327087)   #14
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could this also be why Luca is talking of moving on ? There's a lot of circumstantial evidence for this including Rubens's contract extension and Jacques's alleged availability

Lets hope its true
Old 4 Jul 2002, 16:04 (Ref:327154)   #15
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its the week before the British Grand Prix and and all the old British Warhorses are trotted out to render their opinions about the curent state of F1.

As for Hill's opinion about Schumacher-I share it. There is a compelling argument, wealth beyond belief for the likes of us, a young family growing up at home and he's not with them as often as he'd like. A growing understanding and appreciation of risk, not just to himself, but for his family as well-and nothing left to prove. I believe it will prove to be more compelling to tie Fangio's record than to beat it. I know Bouncey, you in particular mocked me when I expressed this opinion before, but I do believe that we are witnessing a change in Schumacher-its subtle but I feel it and I see it. I still believe that there is a good chance that Michael could retire at the conclusion of this season.
Old 4 Jul 2002, 16:07 (Ref:327156)   #16
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry Jos, I missed your comments, but I concur. De Montezemolo's comments that he might retire are timed nicely to support the theory that todt would advance to the Presidencey of Ferrari and Schumacher to F1 Team Principal.
Old 4 Jul 2002, 16:46 (Ref:327185)   #17
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno when will Schumacher retire... but the next thought is "who the hell would take his place?? Someone italian, someone unknown young driver, someone brazilian or someone son of legendary-Ferrari-driver?

(Not only Jacques, could be Derek Hill, son of '61 champion Phil, or Mathias Lauda....)
Old 4 Jul 2002, 17:52 (Ref:327206)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I got two tips...

It could be a young australian - I will tell you only the last name : Rodwell, or if he's not available, another young brzilian - I will tell you only the first name : Felipe - and this one is not Massa...
Old 4 Jul 2002, 18:28 (Ref:327214)   #19
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So basicly Damon is sayin' what pretty much everyone else has been sayin' for the last few months then?
Old 4 Jul 2002, 20:29 (Ref:327295)   #20
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
I dunno when will Schumacher retire... but the next thought is "who the hell would take his place?? Someone italian, someone unknown young driver, someone brazilian or someone son of legendary-Ferrari-driver?

(Not only Jacques, could be Derek Hill, son of '61 champion Phil, or Mathias Lauda....)

Do you mean a replacement in the Ferrari team? Well, Rubens will probably be there next season, and maybe Nick Heidfeld could join Ferrari so he could get his own back on McLaren for signing Kimi Raikkonen instead of him and winning the WDC with McLaren's arch rivals!

I'm not saying this will happen, but you never know.
Old 4 Jul 2002, 20:48 (Ref:327305)   #21
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ

Some of the cricketing fans on ten-tenths may remember Mark Taylor levelling Sir Dons highest ever score of 334 not out, and then declaring immediatly

That day Mark Taylor showed what a admirable and fantastic chap he is. This was trulyone of sports magic moments.
Here's to you Mr Taylor
As for Damon's comments, his reasons for his opinion are interesting aren't they.Are we seeing the beginning of the end ? Will we in 5 years time never ever want to hear the Columbian national anthem again ? Will Ralf step up and fill his bro's shoes ?
Stay tuned to this channel...............
Old 5 Jul 2002, 00:01 (Ref:327393)   #22
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
It could be a young australian - I will tell you only the last name : Rodwell
Hmmm, I thought he was hopeless?
Old 5 Jul 2002, 00:08 (Ref:327397)   #23
Alan Jones
Veteran

Now THAT's low wrex, paying out on a poor defenceless baby.

Joe is in training and has set a new laprecord around the house by shaving off a further 2 secs.
Old 5 Jul 2002, 00:17 (Ref:327402)   #24
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
OHH, you mean Joe, a legend in the making I'm sure. I thought we talking the senior.

As for the 2 seconds, I guess he finally sold the toy Ford then

Last edited by Wrex; 5 Jul 2002 at 00:19.
Old 5 Jul 2002, 00:18 (Ref:327404)   #25
Alan Jones
Veteran

No, EP suggested i chase him with a cleaver to increase his performance. This weekend I'll slip some redbullinto his juice and then time him