Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 27 Oct 2003, 19:08 (Ref:764906)   #76
rkshanahan
Rookie

rkshanahan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was able to get in touch with Barry at Peter Denty Racing and he was most helpful. He inspected 60-5 for me and says it has no pump mounts. Appearently 62-10 is in another location and he will inspect that chassis when he gets the opportunity.
Since we have reports that 60-2 and 60-5 are lacking the mounts, I think I am safe in assuming that my chassis must be 61-6 or later. Unfortunately, that does not help me narrow it down between 61-6 and 62-8. Any info about the whereabouts of either of those chassis would be appreciated.
I will let you know about the mounts on 62-10 as soon as I hear anything.

Rob
Old 9 Jan 2004, 07:04 (Ref:832358)   #77
rkshanahan
Rookie

It has been a while, but I finally have some more information to add. I recently went to Peter Denty Racing to meet Peter and look over his cars, and it was a very informative visit. It turns out Peter has 60-5(complete rolling chassis), most of 60-1, as well as what is left of 60-10 after its fire. According to Peter's documents, 60-1 was written off and used as spares to run 60-5, either while they were both with MRP or possibly later with Chris Featherstone. Anyway, that accounts for three chassis numbers, plus 60-2 and 62-11 located previously.
As to the mounts on the rear of the chassis, they are not for the fuel pump but for the Lucas Electronic ignition box, which means that both F2 and F3 versions would use them. Since 60-2 doesn't have them and 60-5 does, they must have started putting them on somewhere in between.
Robs Lamplough has offered to track down the cars he sold to Ireland, so we will see what turns up there.

Rob
Old 20 May 2004, 00:09 (Ref:975992)   #78
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rick, anyone.

Autosport 25-7-1969 , report of Lydden Hill meeting advises Chris Featherstone's ex MRP 1.5 Piper powered PROTOTYPE Lola T60 , page 16.

Bryan.
Old 23 May 2004, 04:34 (Ref:979350)   #79
rkshanahan
Rookie

Thanks Bryan,

I will try to find the Autosport and I will make sure that Peter Denty sees this, as well. I am still hoping to identify the car that Chris Featherstone wrote off, so any info is appreciated.
My car is now in the assembly process, with the chassis painted, engine and gearbox complete, and the suspension being installed. I am hoping to have it, my Crossle 12F, and my Hispano-Suiza powered dragster complete by the end of the summer.

Regards,

Rob
Old 18 Apr 2005, 06:34 (Ref:1280903)   #80
rkshanahan
Rookie

Just a quick update, since it has been nearly a year since my last post about my Lola. The car is nowhere near complete, though I did finish my Hispano Suiza powered dragster. I have the new fuel bladders complete and installed, the gauges being restored, and the suspension is being assembled to the car. No more info about other chassis numbers, but I have been in touch with Robert Tweedie in Aus. about his car, 60-2. He is also in the process of restoring his car, so we should be able to share some info and photos and help each other out. You can see his car on his website,http://www.ibcholdings.com.au/cars.

Rob
Old 9 May 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1296990)   #81
rkshanahan
Rookie

Something I noticed when reading 1966 F2 race results which Rob Tweedie (owner of T60-2) sent me. I noticed that Bob Anderson was racing an F2 Cooper in 1966. My car was purchased in the US from Earl Anderson, who claimed he had inherited it from his father or uncle, Robert Anderson. Now, I realize that Robert Anderson is an extremely common name and that race driver Bob Anderson was killed in late 1967, but does anyone out there think that my Lola T-60 could have been purchased by Bob Anderson in '66 or '67 and then sent to the US? It seems highly unlikely to me, but I thought I would ask.

Regards,
Rob
Old 9 May 2005, 22:35 (Ref:1297089)   #82
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm in contact with Bob Anderson's son at the moment - he'll know if Earl Anderson was a relative.

But I'm in Baltimore at the moment - it will have to wait till I'm home.

Allen
Old 17 May 2006, 09:32 (Ref:1612392)   #83
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSL
Does anyone know what L'Amie did with 64/8?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSL
Of course I would be delighted if Rob S' car turned out to be my old 64/8. Perhaps the contemporary car in which I had the most fun. It was simple , fast, and a joy to drive.
This might help. Autosport 20 Sep 1968 p31: "John L'Amie was a non-starter having sold his 1.6 Lola T62 to the US".

Allen

Last edited by John Turner; 17 May 2006 at 09:51. Reason: Spelling correction as per Allen's request!
Old 17 May 2006, 13:40 (Ref:1612592)   #84
rkshanahan
Rookie

Many thanks

I am so pleased to know you are still thinking about my identity problem. I have the car complete now, except that the bodywork still needs final fitting and paint, so I am getting to the point where I would like to install a chassis plate. At this point I am still no closer to figuring out exactly which chassis I have, so any information you can come up with is most welcome.
Where did you come across the the report of John L'Amie's sale to the US?

Regards,

Rob
Old 17 May 2006, 21:58 (Ref:1613028)   #85
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
This might help. Autosport 20 Sep 1968 p31: "John L'Amie was a non-starter having sold his 1.6 Lola T62 to the US".
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkshanahan
Where did you come across the the report of John L'Amie's sale to the US?
Err, in Autosport 20 Sep 1968 on page 31.
Old 18 May 2006, 12:35 (Ref:1613430)   #86
rkshanahan
Rookie

Oops!

Allen,

I am afraid that 'old-timer's disease' has set in. I got so excited about the info I didn't pay attention.

Rob
Old 18 May 2006, 17:23 (Ref:1613619)   #87
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Rob

You're excused! When I read the posts that the identity of your car was down to a choice between 60-6 and 62-8, I realised that this news might over excite you!

Allen
Old 6 Mar 2007, 16:15 (Ref:1859898)   #88
HayesCages
Rookie

United States
Sagle, ID
HayesCages should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a T-62? Have very little info on it as it was written off at Seattle, WA. USA in the 70's. All I have is the tub and some of the bodywork. I'll post some pictures as soon as I get a chance.
Looking forward to hearing from some of you!
Lawrence
Old 7 Mar 2007, 06:11 (Ref:1860328)   #89
rkshanahan
Rookie

Still working

Lawrence,

Good to hear from you, as my car is nearing completion and I would really like to resolve my serial number issue soon. I seem to remember someone posting something earlier about a T-60 or T-62 that had been converted to Formula Super Vee and sold to the Pacific Northwest. Could this be your car? As I recall, that particular car had a shortened rear monocoque fitted with a tubular subframe around the engine. I look forward to seeing pictures of your car, and of course any info about its serial number. The plate was glued down to the top of the tub under the drivers left forearm originally.

Regards,

Rob
Old 7 Mar 2007, 06:25 (Ref:1860331)   #90
rkshanahan
Rookie

Copy of post #23

Lawrence,

Below is the text from Roger H's post #23 on this thread. I thought it might be your car, since he reports selling it to the Northwest.

"When I aquired a T60 in the mid 80's I was given a list chassis numbers with the original customer, the colour as it left the factory, and if it was F2 or F3. Mine had been converted to use as a Formula Super Vee and the rear of the chassis around the engine had been cut off (bodged). The tub looked like a steel copy of a Lotus 25 and didn't have bag tanks. The inner parts of the tub was coated with a fuel tank sealant and left to itself. I sold the remains to a guy in the N.W. of the USA and thats the last I heard of it.
This is the list I was given and I reproduce it here without further comment!
60/1 Lythgoe,F3, Blue
60/2 MRP, F2, Blue
60/3 MRP, F2, Blue
60/4 Offendstadt, F2 BRM, Black
60/5 Lythgoe,F3, Red
61/6 MRP,F2, Blue
62/7 Dragoni, F3, Red
62/8 Surtees, F2, Blue
62/9 Dragoni, F3, Yellow
62/10 Williams, F3, Red
62/11 Williams, F3, Green
62/12 Williams, F3, Yellow

NB another note says that 60/1 was 1.5" shorter.

Hope this doesn't further muddy the issue
Roger
Old 7 Mar 2007, 17:13 (Ref:1860738)   #91
HayesCages
Rookie

United States
Sagle, ID
Rob/Roger?,
Thanks for the info. BUT our car seems to be a different one. The chassis is complete as it left the UK way back when. The only mods to it were for a side-mounted oil pump. (A section of the r. side of engine bay was 'relieved' to accomadate the pump) Save for the much taller than original roll hoop. The only numbers on the car were the roll hoop regisration for the SCCA. Those numbers where of little help as they stamped random numbers and nobody kept a record of them in that region. (Why save them, after all!) This is what I was told by the Oregon Region historian.
I've had the chassis hanging in our shop for the last 6 years and will need to get to a point with work that I can lower it and get some snaps for you to look at. It has a mile of dust on it.
I'll have a look at the original gel-coat to see what color it was. I believe it was a dark blue, but not sure of it.
It has the L&M series stickers for FB. Has some others too but, again, it's been up in the air for some time and I'll need to have a closer look.
I'll be in touch.
Talk to you soon,
Lawrence
Old 7 Mar 2007, 19:11 (Ref:1860833)   #92
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lawrence

Those L&M stickers narrow the field somewhat, since it means it must have appeared at a pro race in the early 70s and not many Lola T60s did (either running as FCs or FB)

I've got a Lola of unidentified provenance entered for an R.J. Schmidt #13 by Pierre Phillips [know him?] at Kent, 7 June 70; not in race but might not have qualified. He also appears, finishing 8th, at Kent in the pro race 6 July 69, with a Lola-t.c (the only FC in that race is Wayne Jamieson's Manic)
This is in your area, so might be of relevance

Chris
Old 7 Mar 2007, 19:22 (Ref:1860839)   #93
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

The SCCA roll hoop number isn't completely random! It could be useful. What is it?

Allen
Old 7 Mar 2007, 19:52 (Ref:1860870)   #94
HayesCages
Rookie

United States
Sagle, ID
I realise that the all of the regions have their specific designations but from there they could do whatever they wanted as far as numbering the chassis. Our car is from region 69, I believe, which is the Oregon Region. The specific roll hoop # I think is 170, but I havn't looked at it in quite some time. I'll check it when I get the car down later this week.
I'm preparing an old Vee for a race next month and have a bare chassis right now so you can see that the Lola is on the back burner for now.
Later,
Lawrence
Old 7 Mar 2007, 21:38 (Ref:1860980)   #95
rkshanahan
Rookie

Lawrence,

I look forward to seeing some pics of your chassis when you get it down. I have a CD of photos of my car and T62-11 that I put together for Rob Tweedie in Australia (T60-2) which I would be happy to send you. I am also slowly getting around to making some new engine covers based on an old cover that Rob Tweedie has offered me, so please let me know if you might be interested in one.

Regards,

Rob
Old 8 Mar 2007, 16:39 (Ref:1861571)   #96
HayesCages
Rookie

United States
Sagle, ID
Our chassis just happens to have the original engine cover still intact. (Somehow!) I think it's been modified over the years to accept weber side-draft carbs.
Lawrence
Old 8 Mar 2007, 20:54 (Ref:1861761)   #97
HayesCages
Rookie

United States
Sagle, ID
Roll hoop number is 96-130. I remember several years ago trying to find out what region the car was from and switching the 96 around as I did in a previous post. 69 is the Texas region while 96 is the Oregon. When I contacted the region they said that they had no way to track the car by the roll hoop number since they never kept records of them. I asked how they could know which numbers were used and which were still available if they didn't know which ones had been used? They really didn't have an answer.
I know that I talked to the last person that raced it last year but can't find the notes I took. I'll have a look around for them.
Lawrence
Old 15 Mar 2007, 04:40 (Ref:1866961)   #98
rkshanahan
Rookie

Lawrence,
I had a similar experience when trying to research the rollbar number on my '67 Crossle Formula B. That car was numbered in Florida, but when I called the registrar for the region, he was unable to provide any information as he said that no records from that time period existed. I checked with my local region and was told that they had a record of every car they had ever numbered, but that there is no national database and each region is on its own when it comes to record keeping. Appearently, some regions are better than others.

Regards,

Rob
Old 15 Mar 2007, 08:18 (Ref:1867021)   #99
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

If only someone had the time and energy to make a list of all the SCCA regions and their numbers and then contact them to find who has kept records and who hasn't...

Allen
Old 15 Mar 2007, 11:26 (Ref:1867191)   #100
Haydn
Rookie

Haydn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fv55... - All is not lost.

The Oregon region of SCCA does have records of their rollbar numbers you need to talk to the right person. I bought a FC/FB car in 1988 which had a roll bar #96-34 stamped by the SCCA in Oregon. It took me many, many years to find out who the car was owned by in 1971. (apparently 1971 was the first year the numbers were stamped and registered at least in this SCCA region) - The log book issued also had this same number as a reference.

I don't have the name and address readily to hand but I will send you a pm when I find it.

Allen - I haven't forgotten I still owe you some history of my Superspeed Mk5/5a Lola - should be able to extract my files from storage over the next few days. There is some connection between the ex USA car mentioned above.

Cheers

HaydnM