Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 23 Feb 2018, 21:15 (Ref:3803486)   #401
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To me mclaren is more interested to take part in future specs meetings and join WEC/LM with a rumored gtp than a gte.
Lamborghini rumor spreads since 2015.... if it is true, hope for them that they could find a great tuner for their V10 5.2L because is terribly low on torque compared to turbo engines.
Toyota stepping in gte it's more unlikely to me, but it would put in jeopardy lmp1 program.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 21:54 (Ref:3803493)   #402
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
To me mclaren is more interested to take part in future specs meetings and join WEC/LM with a rumored gtp than a gte.
Lamborghini rumor spreads since 2015.... if it is true, hope for them that they could find a great tuner for their V10 5.2L because is terribly low on torque compared to turbo engines.
Toyota stepping in gte it's more unlikely to me, but it would put in jeopardy lmp1 program.
Try a 4 litre twin turbo V8 instead then...
Old 24 Feb 2018, 04:33 (Ref:3803526)   #403
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Try a 4 litre twin turbo V8 instead then...
Or a 6.5L V12 Aventador
Old 24 Feb 2018, 05:43 (Ref:3803531)   #404
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
can they use a such a big engine in GTE?

Ciao Marco
Old 24 Feb 2018, 05:53 (Ref:3803532)   #405
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post
can they use a such a big engine in GTE?
Not according to the rules but they still allowed the 8L Viper with a waiver, I'm sure Lamborghini could get one too if they actually wanted to race the Aventador, its all going to be BoP'd anyways.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 05:58 (Ref:3803534)   #406
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
Not according to the rules but they still allowed the 8L Viper with a waiver, I'm sure Lamborghini could get one too if they actually wanted to race the Aventador, its all going to be BoP'd anyways.
VENENO!!!!!!!

Too bad it wasn't built in enough numbers.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 07:22 (Ref:3803539)   #407
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know why they wouldn't just go the Ferrari route.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 08:29 (Ref:3803553)   #408
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, gte rules still let engine swap if the engine comes from a same brand model car. bentley 4L V8 could be used as it powers lamborghini urus, despite being an audi motor.
That engine is huge, don't know if it can be fitted inside huracan engine bay.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 08:31 (Ref:3803555)   #409
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
well, gte rules still let engine swap if the engine comes from a same brand model car. bentley 4L V8 could be used as it powers lamborghini urus, despite being an audi motor.
It might not need to be.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 11:48 (Ref:3803586)   #410
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
GTE rules state a maximum displacement of 5.5 liters for naturally aspirated engines(4.0 for turbos). The Huracan's engine is 5.2 liters. No cylinder limits to my knowledge, though you'd have to be mad to put more than 12 in a racecar, IMO.

In other words if they use the Huracan they don't need to change the engine. And if they use the Aventador they can swap it with the Huracan engine.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 12:14 (Ref:3803589)   #411
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
In other words if they use the Huracan they don't need to change the engine. And if they use the Aventador they can swap it with the Huracan engine.
Rumour was that they would use neither of those cars...
Old 24 Feb 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3803591)   #412
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
GTE rules state a maximum displacement of 5.5 liters for naturally aspirated engines(4.0 for turbos). The Huracan's engine is 5.2 liters. No cylinder limits to my knowledge, though you'd have to be mad to put more than 12 in a racecar, IMO.

I'm well aware that 5.2L V10 is legit according to ACO/IMSA ruleset, just said that torque release from that engine is quite poor (about 520Nm@6500rpm - about 520hp close to 8500rpm) compared to turbo engines and 5.5L corvette. Basically small 4L porschelike figures.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 14:11 (Ref:3803613)   #413
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
Quote:
VENENO!!!!!!!

Too bad it wasn't built in enough numbers.
I'd love to have these sort of batshit insane looking cars racing again but this is really just an Aventador with a different body and tbh I prefer the base car, the Veneno kind of makes me think of a fat Audi R18
Old 24 Feb 2018, 15:37 (Ref:3803626)   #414
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Rumour was that they would use neither of those cars...
So they're going to race the Urus?
Old 24 Feb 2018, 19:39 (Ref:3803678)   #415
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
So they're going to race the Urus?
First ever GTE SUV!

Or, rather more likely, a new model announcement in the coming days (Geneva Motor Show), assuming the rumour turns out to have been correct. We'll soon find out.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 12:31 (Ref:3803787)   #416
RedSquirrel
Racer

Ireland
RedSquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So GTE cars now have white headlights. From the technincal regulations,

Art. 503: "Headlights protection by means of a yellow transparent cover is permitted, without modification of the shape of the homologated bodywork components."

Art. 503:

"Headlights protection by means of a transparent cover is permitted, without modification of the shape of the homologated bodywork components. "

When i first saw this at the Roar, I thought it was an IMSA only change, but the FIA regs are for all GTE cars homologated after 2016. I don't know how to feel about this. I've always thought that the yellow lights were cool but I suppose white lights have a greater range. So...yay safety?
Old 25 Feb 2018, 17:45 (Ref:3803834)   #417
TRuss
Veteran

Quote:
First ever GTE SUV!

Or, rather more likely, a new model announcement in the coming days (Geneva Motor Show), assuming the rumour turns out to have been correct. We'll soon find out.
As someone who closely follows the automotive world as a whole, I have to say that this must be the best kept secret within it.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 18:42 (Ref:3803846)   #418
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
As someone who closely follows the automotive world as a whole, I have to say that this must be the best kept secret within it.
Agreed, not so much as a murmur!

Here is the article I'm referring to (published at the end of December, so quite recent), and re Lamborghini and GTE, DSC said this:

"Lamborghini

Another marque with real appetite for GTE racing – there’s been precious little detail as yet of the rumoured 2019 programme for the marque other than the following:

It’s commercial case is believed to be linked to the sales of the forthcoming Lamborghini Urus SUV, set to be powered by – guess what? A 4 litre twin turbo V8!

As for the model set to feature as a future Lamborghini GTE – It is not either a Huracan or Aventador.

The Geneva Motor Show in 2018 might well see some very interesting news!"

Seems to fulfill current speculation of an imminent GTE announcement...?
Old 25 Feb 2018, 19:04 (Ref:3803850)   #419
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Crud. As long as that engine ends up sounding more like the 488 GTE than the GT3 Bentley, I will NOT be impressed.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 19:30 (Ref:3803853)   #420
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
So GTE cars now have white headlights. From the technincal regulations,

Art. 503: "Headlights protection by means of a yellow transparent cover is permitted, without modification of the shape of the homologated bodywork components."

Art. 503:

"Headlights protection by means of a transparent cover is permitted, without modification of the shape of the homologated bodywork components. "

When i first saw this at the Roar, I thought it was an IMSA only change, but the FIA regs are for all GTE cars homologated after 2016. I don't know how to feel about this. I've always thought that the yellow lights were cool but I suppose white lights have a greater range. So...yay safety?
WTF is this, I thought they had yellow headlights to make it easier for GT drivers to differentiate approaching white light LMPs in the darkness?

It doesn't matter what headlights they have at Daytona because the track is lit like a football stadium for some reason and is almost like running at daylight anyway, but LM isn't (for most part anyway)
Old 25 Feb 2018, 20:13 (Ref:3803868)   #421
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I'd rather the white (clear) lights for aesthetic reasons, but the yellow did differentiate the classes. You knew it was a GTE. I thought I read somewhere that there will be a colored light either with the headlights or the side of the car between the classes.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 20:29 (Ref:3803872)   #422
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Side of the car isn't going to help the drivers... or most of the camera positions...

From TV spectators perspective it wasn't quite as big a deal prior to 2015 when they didn't have all-night coverage from outside the permanent circuit, but now that we do have full-on vision from Mulsanne with headlights coming towards the fixed camera position, it's going to be harder to visualize if everything is universal plain white.

And TBH I actually do prefer the yellow highlights, even when I played GTR2 I used mods to turn them all from white to yellow, except for LMP1. So even though I despise GTE of today and see them as pretty much nothing more than traffic obstacles for prototypes - which is something positive at least - the yellow headlights was always a welcome sight.

I remember back in the day in FIA GT, the GT1 cars having white headlights and GT2 cars yellow headlights at the Adria night race and Spa 24 Hours, but then when some of them turned up to LM all obviously had yellow ones
Old 25 Feb 2018, 23:03 (Ref:3803911)   #423
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
From TV spectators perspective it wasn't quite as big a deal prior to 2015 when they didn't have all-night coverage from outside the permanent circuit, but now that we do have full-on vision from Mulsanne with headlights coming towards the fixed camera position, it's going to be harder to visualize if everything is universal plain white.
Trackside too, it will be far more difficult trying to spot individual battles approaching. Not impressed!
Old 26 Feb 2018, 02:19 (Ref:3803928)   #424
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
I would suggest that many GT cars are and potentially all could be pretty easy to ID in the dark regardless of headlight colour these days, thanks to the light strips.

There's also only one type of GT car anyways, so it's not like in the old days when whether it was a LMP2 or GT1 with roughly the same straight line speed in the mirror made a significant difference to a GT2 car, it's either going way faster than you or it's another GTE.
Old 26 Feb 2018, 02:23 (Ref:3803932)   #425
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Crud. As long as that engine ends up sounding more like the 488 GTE than the GT3 Bentley, I will NOT be impressed.
Very much so. As much as I love the Ferrari it sounds like a Tesla compared to the 458. The turbos make for a different sound compared to the older atmo engine but still it sounds average compared to what a good turbo engine sounds like (the Bentley which sounds like WW2 bomber).