Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 May 2009, 06:13 (Ref:2472442)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Symmons Plains Outgrown?

The drivers seem to think so Here

There were a number of incidents this weekend, including Mr Courtney's but also the one that caught the #12 car on that bank... that suggest some retuning of the track may be of benefit to competitor safety.

There seem to be a number of bumps in braking points.. with lockups and the like the norm not the exception.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 31 May 2009, 06:19 (Ref:2472446)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i think it was out grown before they went back there

probably right about some of the safety issue
Old 31 May 2009, 06:25 (Ref:2472449)   #3
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was actually thinking of lengthing out the circut the other day as a design experiment. I haven't drawn the modified circut out but it consists of resurface the hairpin and back straight with the straight being lengthened out by 500m which is connected to another hairpin and having a Hamilton esque back straight series of chicanes that connect back to the main straight. The pit lane exit would blend just before the 1st corner which will be widened
Old 31 May 2009, 06:33 (Ref:2472453)   #4
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
There seem to be a number of bumps in braking points.. with lockups and the like the norm not the exception.
so the drivers actually have to drive the car now? how terrible
Old 31 May 2009, 08:14 (Ref:2472483)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I dont think they have outgrown the circuit , then again Ive never been there or driven on it but this weekend was very enjoyable and provided some very good challenges
Old 31 May 2009, 08:38 (Ref:2472498)   #6
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
There were a number of incidents
Incidents make it more interesting...
Old 31 May 2009, 11:36 (Ref:2472606)   #7
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

And what about that poor excuse for a race track in Queensland called the paperclip it doesn't have any bumps ?? or is that just the TV angle !
Old 31 May 2009, 13:20 (Ref:2472688)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whinging about bumps in the track?

If safety if such a problem, shouldn't it have been an issue before this weekends racing, not just something to talk about as the contract is up for renewal?

How will V8s outgrow the track? Are the cars going to get bigger...remember they have stated they want to reduce the field size anyway....

I'd hate to see the track layout fiddled with, if they want to do something just extend the run into and out of the hairpin to raise the lap length
Old 31 May 2009, 16:14 (Ref:2472756)   #9
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I was actually thinking of lengthing out the circut the other day as a design experiment. I haven't drawn the modified circut out but it consists of resurfacing the hairpin and back straight with the straight being lengthened out by 500m which is connected to another hairpin and having a Hamilton esque back straight series of chicanes that connect back to the main straight. The pit lane exit would blend just before the 1st corner which will be wider.

I changed the idea of the chicane but most of it is pretty much the same as what I described. Sorry about my drawing quality, this was done in a minute and a half.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 01:39 (Ref:2473057)   #10
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The existing corner onto the start/finish straight is a great corner -should somehow be retained. Mark Larkham(??) I think commented on it also in telecast--and I agree.
I also think track extension and rework would be well worthwhile.There is lot's of open space to do it. Pit lane complex, entry are all good.Do not like the exit area too much!
Old 1 Jun 2009, 04:38 (Ref:2473109)   #11
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
The drivers seem to think so Here

There were a number of incidents this weekend, including Mr Courtney's but also the one that caught the #12 car on that bank... that suggest some retuning of the track may be of benefit to competitor safety.

Crashney could have an accident in the garage so the circuit is hardly to blame ...
Old 1 Jun 2009, 04:54 (Ref:2473115)   #12
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think there is a problem with the track. I think on the weekend there was more a problem with some silly driving going on out there. You need different tracks, different lenghts and character it adds to the championship.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 05:51 (Ref:2473131)   #13
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Reading some of the drivers comments some of it is valid safety concerns, some just a bit picky and whinging. I think some of these drivers are losing part of the idea of being challenged. So it's not perfect, well good then, makes it more interesting than giving you guys a perfect asphalt surface with bland corners.

It's kind of a unique little track so it would be sad for Tasmania to lose the race.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 06:18 (Ref:2473133)   #14
pitlane 3
Rookie

Germany
Melbourne
pitlane 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You just have to drive to the conditon on the track.
Simple.
Doubt that the bumps got there over night.
Can't handle the bumps, get out, there is a long queue of guys who do not mind bumps.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 06:54 (Ref:2473147)   #15
Bimmerhead
Racer

Bimmerhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
It's kind of a unique little track
You mean like Amaroo Park was and the soon to be bulldozed Oran Park is...oh sorry, I forgot, street circuits are the future of motorsport in this country
Old 1 Jun 2009, 08:13 (Ref:2473176)   #16
gts300
Racer

Australia
gts300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Before the present operators took control, and when nascar had a future in this country, I liked the idea of a low banked oval with the current main straight as the tri-oval section.

There would also be an opportunity to include an extended road course through the infield.

DON'T LAUGH, it would have worked.

But back to the reality of today instead of the fantasy of yesterday.

The current operators only have a lease on a parcel of land that does not provide much in the way of opportunity to extend the circuit. They also have a landlord who has not been on the best of terms with them.

Then again, governments and money can work wonders to any situation.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 13:07 (Ref:2474009)   #17
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldnt be touching the layout of Symmons Plains.

If the princesses in the cars and at V8SA are worried about a few bumps, atleast we have a National body to keep them honest

I think the answer is quite obvious, a street race around Hobart.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 02:33 (Ref:2474421)   #18
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the drivers need to look at old Bathurst videos of 60+ cars to get an idea of how good they have it now.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 03:32 (Ref:2474430)   #19
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The bumps could easily be ironed out.

I love the SP layout. I wouldn't want the V8SCs not to race there.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 04:38 (Ref:2474436)   #20
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well in a fit of boredom, I decided to look at google earth for the racetrack. I found something interesting...

Old 3 Jun 2009, 05:19 (Ref:2474441)   #21
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both look like good options.

Street race in Hobart was mooted in the late 1980's, around the waterfront area.

Winning numbers in lotto and I will be restoring Longford to its former glory, imagine the V8's on the Flying Mile!!!
Old 3 Jun 2009, 05:43 (Ref:2474445)   #22
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NO.

Its a great track and provided great racing! Call me crazy, but I actually find it exciting seeing these big powerful cars racing around such a tight yet fast track!

If you've raced the track on a sim like rFactor you'll see its a very complicated and fun track to get right. There are so many undulations and bumps through corners, it is a great challenge.

The only way they should modify it, if at all, is to extend it to the north, starting with a right turn in the middle of the back straight, some curves then back onto the back straight. That way you maintain the character of the most exciting corners. I'm with Larkham, that last corner is so fun when you get it right.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 08:49 (Ref:2474533)   #23
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerhead View Post
You mean like Amaroo Park was and the soon to be bulldozed Oran Park is...oh sorry, I forgot, street circuits are the future of motorsport in this country
Well they are when AVESCO can bypass existing clubs and promoters and take all the money errrr do it themselves
Old 3 Jun 2009, 16:08 (Ref:2474793)   #24
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Street race in Hobart was mooted in the late 1980's, around the waterfront area.
Yes, the "Constitution 500" was the rumoured name, supposedly they wanted to tender for a round of the 1988 WTCC (which didn't happen)

Therefore i don't think a Hobart street race would happen these days, it wasn't Tony's idea first
Old 3 Jun 2009, 23:55 (Ref:2475038)   #25
rockdog
Rookie

rockdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
NO.

Its a great track and provided great racing! Call me crazy, but I actually find it exciting seeing these big powerful cars racing around such a tight yet fast track!

If you've raced the track on a sim like rFactor you'll see its a very complicated and fun track to get right. There are so many undulations and bumps through corners, it is a great challenge.

The only way they should modify it, if at all, is to extend it to the north, starting with a right turn in the middle of the back straight, some curves then back onto the back straight. That way you maintain the character of the most exciting corners. I'm with Larkham, that last corner is so fun when you get it right.
The track on rfatcor which is from race driver is alot more bumpy than the real track. In fact I find it quite smooth. The drivers are more concerned with safety around the track than the layout.