Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Jun 2009, 22:18 (Ref:2483389)   #1
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CSCC Oulton

Quick thanks to all concerned for a fantastic race meeting at Oulton on Saturday. Well done to the orange boys and girls as usual, you must have all been baking! Great to meet all the 10 tenthers, apologies to any I missed and finally a huge smile to the Everett/Makein BMW1502 for one of the best races I have ever enjoyed. Great driving Ian.

PS did anyone get any pics of the swinging 60's race?
Old 15 Jun 2009, 09:39 (Ref:2483628)   #2
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podd37 View Post
Quick thanks to all concerned for a fantastic race meeting at Oulton on Saturday. Well done to the orange boys and girls as usual, you must have all been baking! Great to meet all the 10 tenthers, apologies to any I missed and finally a huge smile to the Everett/Makein BMW1502 for one of the best races I have ever enjoyed. Great driving Ian.

PS did anyone get any pics of the swinging 60's race?
Good to see you again. I really enjoyed my Tin Tops battle with the Green 205 (and first ever class win, thanks to those that were generous enough to retire!). Pity about the gear selection problems that meant I came last in the Sports Vs saloon race, though! I kept missing gears & was 4 secs a lap slower than in the Tin Tops race. I reckon I should have been in the middle of the Jags otherwise. Oh well, a great day, & photos of the Tin Tops race would also be appreciated!
Old 15 Jun 2009, 21:38 (Ref:2484080)   #3
Mike Wroe
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Lincs
Mike Wroe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just like to add my thanks to the CSCC team and the guys in Orange, terrific day and my first podium despite messing up the start.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 22:53 (Ref:2484118)   #4
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great meeting, CSCC organisation as good as ever and a really friendly race meet. Good to meet up with old friends and make some new ones. Once again the Swinging '60's series was oversubscribed so two races were arranged. JW and I had a great race and were hoping for a win but were not disgraced to be beaten into second place by Calum Lockie.

Thanks to the folks in orange. I see from the Marshall's forum that there are comments that 40 min. races are not favoured. I guess that from a spectating viewpoint a 40 min pit-stop race may not have the immediate appeal of a 15 min sprint but from a driver's perspective and a team viewpoint, I rate the 2 driver 40 min format way above a sprint any day. I wonder what other's views on this are?
Old 16 Jun 2009, 00:08 (Ref:2484150)   #5
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
there's some pics here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3841411...7619641246937/

not the best day for us Spridgets; in practice Andy McGee's flywheel came loose and tried to exit the bellhousing, luckily it stayed inside. Tim Cairns' frogeye's crank pulley broke up, the replacement threw the belt on lap 1 of the race so overheated. I started 9th and found myself a lonely 7th after the Marcos bogged down on the line and the frog stopped. A handy pitstop when the SC came out elevated me to 4th for a while but when he turned the lights off to go in I had a missfire develop and after another lap it died completely. Duff rotor arm, grrrr. Still, it was a very good test day for me, just hope I've found all the gremlins before Spa in 3 weeks.
And yes the 40-minute 1 or 2 driver format works for me, in fact I prefer 1 hour or longer races.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 07:04 (Ref:2484247)   #6
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Andy, I found some pics here:
http://www.mattsayle.co.uk/gallery/2...ark%2013.6.09/

I think he posts here from time to time. It was also my 1st bit of glasswear, 2nd in class and 9th o/a. Not bad for a standard 1300. It helped that others failed but hey...!
I read the marshall's posts (!) too and was a bit surprised. The races I saw had dicing all the way through, maybe not for the lead but good non the less. I run with CSCC precisely because of the longer race format and like you MGDavid would like a crack at some 1 hour or more events.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 08:19 (Ref:2484286)   #7
Mike Wroe
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Lincs
Mike Wroe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like both Daves and Paul I also race with the CSCC for the longer format and the friendly atmosphere and I think their success in attracting entries this year shows that they have it about right. Due to the car jumping out of gear on the line (driver error) I had to fight my way back up the grid so I certainly had a busy race and I know from watching some of the others that there were plenty of scraps down the field so I would have hoped that the spectators were not to disappointed. I'm looking forward to the one hour race at Spa both for the longer format and the chance to pop my Spa cherry. See you there if you're going.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 08:22 (Ref:2484287)   #8
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the photo link. Good photos although I was hoping that someone might have a photo of my demon overtaking move of the 205!!!!! I enjoyed my red wine from my new cut glass trophy on saturday night! Probably a one off, I won't expect the set!!

I really like the 40 minute format, whether I share the car or not. It makes it worthwhile to travel some distance & the pit stops add another dimension. I understand the marshals point that things can be difficult to follow & could be a bit tedious but we are the only club racing in this format at this level so I think they appreciate that its sort of a one off at each circuit we visit. Oulton is a bid odd for the CSCC, though, as we don't normally have 4 x 40 min racess in one day.

One thing, though. I am surprissed that more people don't take advantage of the Sports Vs Salon car allcomers race to get another practice and race in for just £95. I didn't do very well on saturday because I couldn't select gears properly but I have had some good David & Goliath battles in my little Uno with some of the big Jags. Very entertaining from where I was sitting!
Old 16 Jun 2009, 08:33 (Ref:2484292)   #9
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the length of the circut at Oulton spread the races out more than usall. The races at Mallory, Brands & Snetterton this year have been cracking to watch, has anyone made the club aware that you would like longer races?
Old 16 Jun 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2484302)   #10
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopePitstop View Post
has anyone made the club aware that you would like longer races?
It has been discussed, I think, but its a trade off between length of races, the additional entry fee that would have to be charged per entrant, the ability to accomodate guest races (the club gets loads of requests to join the bill) and competitors fuel tank capacities (having to have any sort of refueeling would be a whole different problem and cost).

The forthcoming Spa races are one hour & personally I'd like to investigate one other one hour race each year at somewhere like Anglesey.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 09:14 (Ref:2484333)   #11
Celia Stevens
Racer

England
Hundon Sudbury
Celia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCelia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just adding our endorsement of the racing at Oulton. Great atmosphere, great organisation and so good to do the International. Sorry the guys and gals in orange weren't so impressed, but a huge thank-you to them anyway. Thanks CSCC.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 15:11 (Ref:2484566)   #12
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Fabulous car Celia. Got a great look at it trying to get between you and the Mk1 Jag at Lodge at the restart!
Andy perhaps it should thrown out there again as there seems to be some interest in the odd one hour event closer to home. Any cars that can do Spa should manage on fuel. Not sure if the Tin Top folk would be mad about it but the Histo people I think would be. Might even be a way of getting people to travel to Anglesey where entries are a bit smaller.
I'd love to do the extra race but ferries rule my schedule so I always have to miss them.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 15:53 (Ref:2484584)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Thanks for the photo link. Good photos although I was hoping that someone might have a photo of my demon overtaking move of the 205!!!!! I enjoyed my red wine from my new cut glass trophy on saturday night! Probably a one off, I won't expect the set!!
Congrats.

Quote:
I really like the 40 minute format, whether I share the car or not. ........................................... but we are the only club racing in this format at this level so I think they appreciate that its sort of a one off at each circuit we visit.
Odd then that I was in a 45mins two driver event at Castle Combe on Saturday. I'll make certain Masters know that they are of a lesser level than the CSCC. I'll also tell the HSCC that their longer races are of lesser stature shall I?

Quote:
One thing, though. I am surprised that more people don't take advantage of the Sports Vs Salon car allcomers race to get another practice and race in for just £95.
The problem is that if you have a bad race in the main event you lose out, plus it puts additional wear on the car meaning earlier/more rebuilds etc.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 16:10 (Ref:2484597)   #14
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Peter

I think my key phrase is "at this level". I don't think that CSCC is really competeing with Masters events at all. Generally we don't attract cars that are anywhere near as expensive as Masters! I think you have interpreted my comments the wrong way round, although I admit that I had forgotten that HSCC do some longer races, but surely not as a matter of course? All of the CSCC series run to the 40 min pitstop format and that's what I meant. I don't want to upset anyone in the other series or get into a debate over which is the "highest" level etc. CSCC is about VFM not about status.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 16:27 (Ref:2484605)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They all offer VFM otherwise why would anyone enter? The CSCC is a great concept and its regs are more relaxed than the others, but to suggest any of them are at any particular "level" is missing the point.

To be frank, there are many organisations putting on longer races albeit only for certain classes. In the UK we have those already mentioned, in Europe there's the ADAC and the RMU to name but two.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 18:48 (Ref:2484689)   #16
JP12
Rookie

England
Bristol
JP12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The light blue TR in the links posted above looks fantastic.

I am a big fan of the 40min race format and the relaxed regulation so I will have my MGB back on track racing with the CSCC next year sporting some 'modsport' parts that aren't legal in other series.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 19:32 (Ref:2484713)   #17
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Doesn't the Equipe GTS series do long races as well but they can't be at the same high level as they CSCC as they only allow proper historic FIA papered cars and run under proper regs..
Old 16 Jun 2009, 20:37 (Ref:2484780)   #18
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
I think the level Andy may have been suggesting is the (and I am using this word carefully) 'budget' end of the spectrum. In other words club racers with trailers and tents that look after thier own cars. And without wishing to get drawn into a war about it, I think the number of entries say all that needs to be said on the VFM front, percieved or otherwise. I don't have and can't afford to build an FIA car but thanks to CSCC I was able to run my old racer in its bits and pieces state of tune at Spa and achieve a lifelong ambition.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 21:57 (Ref:2484858)   #19
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podd37 View Post
I think the level Andy may have been suggesting is the (and I am using this word carefully) 'budget' end of the spectrum. In other words club racers with trailers and tents that look after thier own cars. And without wishing to get drawn into a war about it, I think the number of entries say all that needs to be said on the VFM front, percieved or otherwise. I don't have and can't afford to build an FIA car but thanks to CSCC I was able to run my old racer in its bits and pieces state of tune at Spa and achieve a lifelong ambition.
Quite. I think my earlier post has been greatly misinterpreted.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 22:14 (Ref:2484870)   #20
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
Doesn't the Equipe GTS series do long races as well but they can't be at the same high level as they CSCC as they only allow proper historic FIA papered cars and run under proper regs..
I think the point that was being made (and possibly misconstrued by some posters) is that the CSCC are running mini-enduro type races at the grass roots level of club racing. Equipe GTS does not run to full FiA regs as a matter of fact but I'm sure they don't allow replica classics. Neither does HSCC for that matter and following some recent reg. changes neither is Masters but all that is irrelevant in this thread. The point is that CSCC offer low cost VFM racing for a wide range of car types and specs. in a broadly historic format at a limited constrained level. My original point was that the Marshall's forum expressed that they did not like the longer races that CSCC put on and yet these to my mind as a racer are the appeal. I found it a strange sentiment from our friends in orange when there are so many other series/championships running longer races (as detailed by other contributors).

Just to put an even spin on these commments I am currently very happy with the way that the CSCC are running things and find their meetings to be excellent events but I am also building a car to run in full FIA AppK events so will soon be in good place to compare the merits of the reasonably priced vs. the "you're having a laugh!" entry fee race events.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 07:53 (Ref:2485024)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
I think the point that was being made (and possibly misconstrued by some posters) is that the CSCC are running mini-enduro type races at the grass roots level of club racing.
[MOD] I know, my point was to demonstrate that one shouldn't set out to make comparisions, simply because it will be misconstrued and I've tried to make this point to certain posters previously. Don't forget, organisers read these threads too not just us posters. [/MOD]

FWIW Masters, CTCRC, GTS etc. are all club racing series or championships and therefore "grass roots", there is no difference in my book. If you accept that the cost to buy and build (say) a Griffith 400 is around 80k pst, then it really isn't grass roots is it? Yet there are Griffs running with CSCC. Again this is not a criticism, far from it but let's just be clear here, we are all club racers racing what we like, where we see the best benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6
Equipe GTS does not run to full FiA regs as a matter of fact but I'm sure they don't allow replica classics. Neither does HSCC for that matter and following some recent reg. changes neither is Masters but all that is irrelevant in this thread.
Correct.

Quote:
The point is that CSCC offer low cost VFM racing for a wide range of car types and specs. in a broadly historic format at a limited constrained level. My original point was that the Marshall's forum expressed that they did not like the longer races that CSCC put on and yet these to my mind as a racer are the appeal. I found it a strange sentiment from our friends in orange when there are so many other series/championships running longer races (as detailed by other contributors).
Yes, but this also depends on grid sizes too. I concur, longer races lead to more overtaking and better opportunities. In my case the old BTCC Group 1 races were often around 30 to 40 mins, therefore the Masters 45 mins is pretty much of a similar nature except now we have a pit stop etc.

Quote:
Just to put an even spin on these comments I am currently very happy with the way that the CSCC are running things and find their meetings to be excellent events but I am also building a car to run in full FIA AppK events so will soon be in good place to compare the merits of the reasonably priced vs. the "you're having a laugh!" entry fee race events.
FWIW I can't go to Magny Cours due to time constraints, so I've entered two 30 mins enduros at the MGCC Festival on the same weekend. I won't be racing against like cars unfortunately but will get significant track time for around the same cost per hour as I get from Masters.

Of course this VFM argument goes around all the time. IMO it is more about what you want to race and then find a club to provide the races. To suggest that one series is better than another for whatever reason is a preference thing and shouldn't appear in a thread celebrating what was apparently a great weekend at Oulton Park.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2485289)   #22
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Odd then that I was in a 45mins two driver event at Castle Combe on Saturday. I'll make certain Masters know that they are of a lesser level than the CSCC. I'll also tell the HSCC that their longer races are of lesser stature shall I?
I hate to say this but it appears that this quote seems to have upset us all!! Perhaps we misjudged the tongue firmly lodged in cheek?

I think there is probably a huge difference between the average value of a Masters grid and a CSCC one. Of course there are very expensive cars running but they are the minority. Regardless of how their rules or lack thereof are percieved the format is probably one of the most successful historic series in the UK as regards entry numbers and that in this day and age speaks volumes.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 16:32 (Ref:2485299)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I didn't intend to take this OT. I merely wished to put some lighthearted balance into the thread. The CSCC organizers and team, some of whom I have raced against previously know me reasonably well, either from here or from the tracks. And knowing them I'm not surprised that they've come up with this successful formula. It is to be applauded.

The Oulton event, based upon this thread, was another success and indeed seems to have made full grids too.

These two points alone should be celebrated but the fact of the matter is that there are many organisations that run mini enduros and for club racers irrespective of the value of car.

Enjoy it, keep telling us about your experiences but don't try to spin things as some people connected with PR are apt so to do.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 16:48 (Ref:2485314)   #24
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
They all offer VFM otherwise why would anyone enter? The CSCC is a great concept and its regs are more relaxed than the others, but to suggest any of them are at any particular "level" is missing the point.
I think its fairly safe to say that most people (ie drivers of classic race cars) percieve the Masters events to be the top of the tree, certainly as far as prestige is concerned. VFM, well that is another thing

I'm extremely happy racing with the CSCC and have no problems with any aspect of the club or the race series. I wouldn't mind doing a HSCC, CTCRC or Masters event but my car isn't eligible for those and the cost aspect of Masters is certainly difficult to justify.

BTW, sorry to have missed you all at Oulton, glad you all had fun.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 17 Jun 2009, 16:57 (Ref:2485324)   #25
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Hi Moose. Your beasty burbling around was sadly missed!