Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Nov 2009, 05:48 (Ref:2576815)   #1
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jamie Whincup vs Will Davison: The new Skaife vs Seton?

I find its interesting that 2 blokes who have known & competed against each other since childhood are now the 2 rising stars of the competition and I couldn't help thinking its like the late 80's early 90's where Seton and Skaife were duking it out, I can't help but see similarities with this pair, and think they will have a rivaly for some years to come.

Is it just me or does somebody else see it
Old 6 Nov 2009, 05:59 (Ref:2576820)   #2
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I find its interesting that 2 blokes who have known & competed against each other since childhood are now the 2 rising stars of the competition and I couldn't help thinking its like the late 80's early 90's where Seton and Skaife were duking it out, I can't help but see similarities with this pair, and think they will have a rivaly for some years to come.

Is it just me or does somebody else see it
Except Skaife was in a Holden and Seton was in a Ford!

Although I guess at the beginning they both started out in the same car, the mighty Nissan Gazelle hehehe
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 6 Nov 2009, 06:10 (Ref:2576824)   #3
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Except Skaife was in a Holden and Seton was in a Ford!
Well, late 80s early 90's they were both in Nissans/then Nissan/Ford, then eventually Holden/Ford.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 06:22 (Ref:2576827)   #4
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only 3 of them are bathurst winners
Old 6 Nov 2009, 06:24 (Ref:2576828)   #5
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That one was for you, STEVO.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 6 Nov 2009, 06:24 (Ref:2576829)   #6
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Only 3 of them are bathurst winners
Yeah Seton and Ambrose, best drivers never to win Bathurst? That list alone would make an amusing topic/poll
Old 6 Nov 2009, 06:29 (Ref:2576831)   #7
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
"Yeah Seton and Ambrose, best drivers never to win Bathurst? That list alone would make an amusing topic/poll "

How about Stirling Moss & Jack Brabham? They raced there.

In answer to the original question. Seton, by a l-o-n-g way.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 08:02 (Ref:2576848)   #8
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brabham and Moss are a good starting point.

Also ahead of Seton would be Jones, Bell, Pescarolo, Quester.

You could even argue that Janson's Bathurst record is enough to secure a position ahead of Seton.

Seton was a more than competent sprint race drive and had some early successes in endurance racing.

Was his lack of success on the mountain due to poor preparation or was he too hard on the car. If the latter then he would fall well down the list.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 08:03 (Ref:2576849)   #9
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Was his lack of success on the mountain due to poor preparation or was he too hard on the car. If the latter then he would fall well down the list.
I'd put Ambrose in the 'too hard on the tyres' bracket on that note.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 11:26 (Ref:2576942)   #10
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I'd put Ambrose in the 'too hard on the tyres' bracket on that note.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvTPZcHo-f4
Old 6 Nov 2009, 11:29 (Ref:2576944)   #11
Mixer
Veteran

That is still one of THE funniest things ever, especially because of the wisecracking Barry Sheene.

God he is sorely missed from racing telecasts (and TV ads) in this country.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 11:31 (Ref:2576945)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have enjoyed their battle this year. it has been exciting to see them go head to head, unfortunatly we have not really got to see them race each too much, but the times they have have been great to watch.

Davison has been very consistant which has helped to keep him in the championship, but has been a poor qualifier
Whincup, much better qualifier, but has some bad results also

Whincups luck seems to have faded in recent rounds (Ford fans would say its Karma)

Still i hope it goes down to the the final race at homebush and there team mates dont get involved
Old 6 Nov 2009, 11:36 (Ref:2576948)   #13
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Whincups luck seems to have faded in recent rounds (Ford fans would say its Karma)
I don't think its luck I think he wilted at the SuperGP.

With Bright he just shouldn't have been where he was, and then he was driving like a man possessed to come through the field, and after all that to stick it in the wall where he did I think showed he was just pushing too hard instead of banking some points.

In the meantime Will just keeps coming like a steamroller, and I think he's got super confidence now, and Jamie needs to bounce right back or he might give it up.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2576949)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
so the last lap tyre at PI was because he has been driving like a man posssesed?

he luck has gone. at the strat of the season he had the champions luck, now the things are going wrong
Old 6 Nov 2009, 11:41 (Ref:2576953)   #15
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
so the last lap tyre at PI was because he has been driving like a man posssesed?
That was not luck, that was overdriving the car, and most likely Lowndes locking up the brakes while chasing Tander.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 11:45 (Ref:2576954)   #16
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
thats what luck is.
some times you overdrive the car and the car lasts, sometimes you overdrive the car and the tyre goes on the last lap.

aometimes you hit the wall and limp back to the finish, sometimes the cars too broken to move,

at the start of the year when things went wrong Jamie was still ok, the last few rounds it has changed
Old 6 Nov 2009, 11:50 (Ref:2576957)   #17
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
thats what luck is.
******** - the 'luck' was when Matt Nilsson got on the radio and told Garth to look after the left front tyre, as they knew it was vulnerable.

Its the same thing that won 888 Bathurst in 2008, pure and simple good team skill. They just got it wrong at PI.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 13:25 (Ref:2576992)   #18
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
thats what luck is.
some times you overdrive the car and the car lasts, sometimes you overdrive the car and the tyre goes on the last lap.

aometimes you hit the wall and limp back to the finish, sometimes the cars too broken to move,

at the start of the year when things went wrong Jamie was still ok, the last few rounds it has changed
LMFAO, thats not luck, thats simple physics. Overdrive the car, you have a failure.

This tops your posts man, i'd go as far as to say this was gold plated gold.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 22:10 (Ref:2577322)   #19
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's been interesting to note that alot of people over the years have claimed HRT to be a breeding ground for arrogance and bullishness. I don't know if I've had my blinkers on, but I'm struggling to think of seeing or hearing of a time when Will appeared on TV or in the papers sounding either of these?

On the other shoe, Jamie has had a few slips in the media where he certainly sounded a little smug. Is it sheer emotion that Jamie has shown, or is he becoming a little too big for his boots?

Either way, we have witnessed a fantastic championship. I think at the Sandown round, Will realised his potential and moved forward a peg or two in the confidence race, and his maturity in driving (IE, Super GP, he let Jamie storm through the field, and he didn't attempt to pass the Jack Daniels car, knowing he'd eaten a huge chunk of points over the weekend).

The next few races should be nailbiters! Let alone, the next few years!