Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Feb 2014, 23:28 (Ref:3366692)   #251
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
mikuni's right, the whole of qualifying is low fuel. Most of the time Q3 will have the fastest lap, but not always.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 23:37 (Ref:3366695)   #252
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
mikuni's right, the whole of qualifying is low fuel. Most of the time Q3 will have the fastest lap, but not always.

Malaysia, Canada, Belgium and Brazil featured Q3 times slower than previous sessions. Usually to do with weather ...
Old 12 Feb 2014, 15:23 (Ref:3367395)   #253
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I've been thinking a bit about that prediction by the great Jenks that F1 would implode up it's own jacksie. Well I feel the way F1 is at the moment it only goes to prove how right he was.
Old 12 Feb 2014, 17:50 (Ref:3367438)   #254
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I've been thinking a bit about that prediction by the great Jenks that F1 would implode up it's own jacksie. Well I feel the way F1 is at the moment it only goes to prove how right he was.
+1
Old 12 Feb 2014, 18:45 (Ref:3367465)   #255
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
+1
+1 to the comment about Jenks
Old 12 Feb 2014, 19:30 (Ref:3367475)   #256
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
+1
Add mine to everyone else's...
Old 13 Feb 2014, 06:09 (Ref:3367597)   #257
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 13 Feb 2014, 20:15 (Ref:3368073)   #258
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV is throwing in his opinions on rule changes and what it has done to F1. Out of anyone...JV knows best.

http://www.f1reader.com/#/news/moder...lleneuve-92024
Old 14 Feb 2014, 12:25 (Ref:3368418)   #259
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I went on here so I could say that Jacques is thinking on similar lines to what I posted, but someone beat me to it! Jacques is right though. They are catering for the wrong people. It's wrong to change it for people who have passing interest in sport. It doesn't happen in other sports does it?
Old 14 Feb 2014, 15:30 (Ref:3368467)   #260
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
JV is throwing in his opinions on rule changes and what it has done to F1. Out of anyone...JV knows best.

http://www.f1reader.com/#/news/moder...lleneuve-92024
Autosport are carrying this as well.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112511

I think JV's really hit the nail on the head when he says, "The epic has been taken out of F1. The overtaking happens because you press a button, not because you make a special move."
Old 14 Feb 2014, 16:16 (Ref:3368484)   #261
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I went on here so I could say that Jacques is thinking on similar lines to what I posted, but someone beat me to it! Jacques is right though. They are catering for the wrong people. It's wrong to change it for people who have passing interest in sport. It doesn't happen in other sports does it?
It happens in every sport where money takes over I'm afraid, snooker is a prime example, short matches, "shot clocks" tournaments played in a weekend, all because it's good for TV. Designed for the casual fans; the players and those with a real interest mostly hate it.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 16:24 (Ref:3368487)   #262
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
as a word of caution it should be noted that too many people agreeing with this particular driver, let alone just mentioning his name, will result in this thread imploding!

jokes aside i agree with him as well about the epic point and also liked one of the points (made in one of the links provided by F1Pete) that he wishes the drivers were being more vocal about this.

i liked the video that NR and LH did about it but i wish they went further. i wish this were a sport where all the drivers acted like double points, drs etc was an affront to the history and legacy that they hope to one day be a part of.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 16:46 (Ref:3368496)   #263
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
It happens in every sport where money takes over I'm afraid, snooker is a prime example, short matches, "shot clocks" tournaments played in a weekend, all because it's good for TV. Designed for the casual fans; the players and those with a real interest mostly hate it.
Are you thinking of Power Snooker? If so, that's different as we still have the major snooker tournaments as they were.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 18:32 (Ref:3368521)   #264
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Are you thinking of Power Snooker? If so, that's different as we still have the major snooker tournaments as they were.
Some of them yes but the pressure is clearly on to dumb them down, in fact the matches have been getting shorter for decades now, there's also the sky premier league which is very much bish bash bosh, been to some of it live too, they let you in cheap and then treat you like an extra on a film set, all for the sake of the TV viewers, still at least the cheap seats are different to F1 I suppose
Old 14 Feb 2014, 18:59 (Ref:3368532)   #265
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
Some of them yes but the pressure is clearly on to dumb them down, in fact the matches have been getting shorter for decades now, there's also the sky premier league which is very much bish bash bosh, been to some of it live too, they let you in cheap and then treat you like an extra on a film set, all for the sake of the TV viewers, still at least the cheap seats are different to F1 I suppose
Dumbing everything down is simply appealing to the lowest common denominator. It is the opposite of excellence for its own sake but that is what mass media coverage and the modern obsession with knowledge.
Everything has become 'important' to 'everybody' but in the process nothing is important because there is too much information for everyone to process. So it becomes 'simplified' and that means dumbing it down so everyone can understand / process it in a moment or it might become insignificant, which in fact it does ...

I have written a comment on JV's talk but posted it on Old Tony's 'driver' thread and won't repeat it here.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 22:52 (Ref:3368584)   #266
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
I think it is quite clear how some of us on here (sadly, a minority I suspect ) would like F1 to be, and other series too from my point of view, and that is, something like car racing was in the 80's and 90's. Pretty much all car racing was good during that time.
I'm looking forward to the 2014 season though, because of the rule changes, only because it's likely that the cars will be more difficult to drive, even when teams get a better "handle" on the new machines. For how long though? who knows.
I am not enamoured with all the attempts to be "green", and the sort of spec formula which F1 has become. It seems too geared towards manufacturers wishes than to proper race-team wishes. I don't think F1 is the place to play "green"and develop road cars, long-distance sportscar racing is the better place for all that stuff.
With the fuel used by the F1 "show" in all the air travel throughout a year, what's the point of the fuel metering? Does it really make more than a drop in the ocean difference in the green scheme of things? I haven't bothered to research that so I may be way off kilter on that.

Anyway, I can still enjoy watching (on screen) the proper cars thanks to youtube etc, and will keep hoping that the rule changes in F1 keep changing until it's proper racing again and drivers drive.
Old 15 Feb 2014, 13:05 (Ref:3368730)   #267
AngusJ
Rookie

United States
Texas
AngusJ has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Add some unpredictability and surprises to the mix and it would definitely improve the sport.
Old 15 Feb 2014, 23:40 (Ref:3368909)   #268
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusJ View Post
Add some unpredictability and surprises to the mix and it would definitely improve the sport.
Actual racing would add unpredictability in spades, the cars have to be able to run together and recover from sideways twitches to be able to race in close company though.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 11:46 (Ref:3369020)   #269
321Go
Veteran

The winner is now allowed to drive to Krispy Kreme's after the race.

Article 30.4 has been amended.

"After receiving the end-of-race signal all cars must proceed on the circuit directly to the post race parc ferme without any unnecessary delay, without receiving any object whatsoever and without any assistance (except that of the marshals if necessary)"

"An exception to Article 30.4 (which states a driver cannot stop on track without a justifiable reason) and to the above will be made for the winning driver who may perform an act of celebration before reaching parc ferme, provided any such act;

- Is performed safely and does not endanger other drivers or officials.
- Does not call into question the legality of his car.
- Does not delay the podium ceremony.

"Any classified car which cannot reach the post race parc ferme under its own power will be placed under the exclusive control of the marshals who will take the car to the parc ferme."
Old 17 Feb 2014, 10:34 (Ref:3369307)   #270
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apparently the new rules won't diminish the driver's skills, according to this article.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112529
Old 17 Feb 2014, 15:28 (Ref:3369362)   #271
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"The workload on the steering wheel will be more"

Because that's what defines a great racing driver these days.

Ugh...
Old 17 Feb 2014, 17:11 (Ref:3369384)   #272
MarkG
Veteran

It's a bit worrying that the drivers will become even more "operators" behind the wheel, with the race won or lost by the engineers predominantly.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 19:23 (Ref:3369422)   #273
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
It's a bit worrying that the drivers will become even more "operators" behind the wheel, with the race won or lost by the engineers predominantly.
And people wonder why 'Grand prix motor racing' is no longer attractive...
Old 17 Feb 2014, 21:38 (Ref:3369475)   #274
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
"The workload on the steering wheel will be more"

Because that's what defines a great racing driver these days.

Ugh...

The ability to touch type!
Old 18 Feb 2014, 08:29 (Ref:3369603)   #275
321Go
Veteran

With only the winner allowed to celebrate with donuts, or a victory lap, then what if say... Vettel wins in Bahrain, but Hamilton's third placing means he wins the 2014 championship (), but because Lewis is not the 'winner', is he not allowed to celebrate with a victory lap, donuts, or stop and accept a British flag from a marshal?