Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Oct 2017, 13:53 (Ref:3773443)   #51
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Silverstone has been remodelled several times, doesn't that count?
I think the only corner at Silverstone that has not undergone significant change in the last 30+ years is Copse.
Old 10 Oct 2017, 16:41 (Ref:3773462)   #52
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Nope even Copse has been eased a few times
Old 10 Oct 2017, 18:43 (Ref:3773484)   #53
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Yeah, Silverstone is nothing like what it was in 1985.

The only earlier change to Estoril was the addition of the Gancho chicane bypassing Tanque, built in reaction to the events at the 1994 San Marino GP. The changes to the first three corners and Parabolica were implemented for the 2000 season, the first year modern MotoGP visited the circuit.

Track Lengths:
Assen- 2.830 miles
Zandvoort- 2.676 miles
Fuji- 2.835 miles
Buriram- 2.830 miles*
Montreal- 2.709 miles
Interlagos- 2.678 miles
Mexico City- 2.674 miles
Hockenheim- 2.842 miles
Catalunya- 2.893 miles

So, how is Assen "too short"?
Old 10 Oct 2017, 20:42 (Ref:3773502)   #54
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If Assen was good enough for Champ Cars, it's good enough for F1
Old 11 Oct 2017, 07:09 (Ref:3773584)   #55
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It really isn't

Next thing you will be saying if Brands Hatch is good enough for CART its good enough for F1, and that is plainly ridiculous!
Old 11 Oct 2017, 08:55 (Ref:3773614)   #56
S griffin
Veteran

If F1 can race at Suzuka and Monaco, who knows?
Old 11 Oct 2017, 09:40 (Ref:3773621)   #57
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They race at Monaco for obvious reasons, nothing to do with racing. And they haven't always raced at Suzuka, I am sure Honda would rather race at Motegi.

But Assen is not long enough, that is the main reason. Unless a big Dutch backer comes in and spends a fortune on it, and does a Red Bull at the A1 Ring type deal.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 13:06 (Ref:3773666)   #58
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Assen isn't too short for F1. As already mentioned, it's longer than Red BUll Ring, Mexico and Interlagos.

Anyway, F1 wants a street race at Amsterdam or Rotterdam. I doubt that the Dutch government will spend money for it, having seen the failure of Valencia.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 19:39 (Ref:3773750)   #59
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I thought I'd missed something.

Assen- 2.830 miles
RB Ring- 2.688 miles
Hungaroring- 2.722 miles

Again, the assertion that Assen is too short is absurd. Assen is also longer than Estoril or Jerez.

We don't bring up Monaco for the quality of on-track action; we bring it up because they deem it possible to run a race there with a full field of cars, and consider the probability of FCYs or Red Flags to be within the acceptable range.

As a matter of physics, NO I DON'T consider Brands Hatch GP to be any more ridiculous as an F1 venue as I do Monaco, or Montreal, or Albert Park, or Monza. I could also throw in, at least pieces, of a number of other circuits, like Baku, Suzuka, Singapore, or Interlagos.

Except for 2007-08, F1 has been at Suzuka every season since 1987. I don't know why Honda would prefer Motegi for F1; it's certainly a poorer choice in terms of the circuit itself, with few high-speed corners, some formulaic/repetitive sequences, and by current F1 terms, none of the straights there are terribly long.
Old 12 Oct 2017, 09:37 (Ref:3773833)   #60
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
My bad then, I presumed Assen was a really short course, probably because I watch a lot of bike racing and the old Assen was quite long and a bit of a magic circuit, just seems short for some reason!

Honda would prefer Motegi perhaps as it is newer and more their actual venue than Suzuka, they have their museum there etc, but logistically it would be awful for F1, middle of nowhere etc.

f1 seems to have a template for circuits, that only money can surpass cant it Mr Red Bull and Mor Monaco
Old 12 Oct 2017, 13:40 (Ref:3773866)   #61
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Honda would prefer Motegi perhaps as it is newer and more their actual venue than Suzuka, they have their museum there etc, but logistically it would be awful for F1, middle of nowhere etc.
You are forgetting that Honda also built and own Suzuka, which is also in the middle of nowhere. Even with all the really good highways that Japan has, it is an eight hour plus drive from Tokyo and is surrounded by farm land. The nearest cities are about two hours drive away.

But you also overlook all the facilities that Honda have at Suzuka, which includes hotels and amusement parks and other entertainment inside the circuit. From what I understand, the Japanese far prefer the facility than either Motegi or Fuji, and the F1 race there is always sold out on all three days of the F1 weekend (155,000). And from experience, parking for that weekend is an absolute nightmare.