Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 9 Apr 2018, 18:49 (Ref:3814484)   #8351
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And a slightly modified F1 car that could ignore its regulations would easily make up those few tenths and more, much more. Not that it’s important, but J Jays point is valid.

It’s a pointless discussion, which you will undoubtedly win by some other off the wall logic. What’s to prove? What have you got, you can’t compare apples and oranges, but you can compare bananas and plums?

It’s a modified car that isn’t eligible for anything, that ran a very quick lap that was enjoyable to watch and hear about. That’s it. Tomorrow’s yesterday’s news.

Top to see, I loved it
Old 9 Apr 2018, 18:55 (Ref:3814489)   #8352
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
And a slightly modified F1 car that could ignore its regulations would easily make up those few tenths and more, much more. Not that it’s important, but J Jays point is valid.

It’s a pointless discussion, which you will undoubtedly win by some other off the wall logic. What’s to prove? What have you got, you can’t compare apples and oranges, but you can compare bananas and plums?

It’s a modified car that isn’t eligible for anything, that ran a very quick lap that was enjoyable to watch and hear about. That’s it. Tomorrow’s yesterday’s news.

Top to see, I loved it
I'm just having a discussion. Not trying to win an argument I don't think it's pointless at least. I think it's pretty amazing that an lmp1 car can go this fast with just these things added. Sorry if I'm sounding argumentative, I'll leave it at that.
Old 9 Apr 2018, 19:01 (Ref:3814494)   #8353
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think we just need the season to start so we have something else to talk about!
Old 9 Apr 2018, 19:03 (Ref:3814495)   #8354
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As I expressed, I thought the logic in your post was flawed and irrelevant. :confused:

I believe that any discussion that suggests that the restrictions in LMP1 is somehow significant but those in F1 aren’t, or that a comparison of unrestricted in one discipline can be compared to restricted in another, is pointless and can only be considered valid with off the wall logic.
Old 9 Apr 2018, 19:04 (Ref:3814496)   #8355
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
To reconcile the two sides of the discussion: being awesome and pointless are two things which are NOT mutually exclusive. Yes, it's pointless in some way because it is basically a PR exercise, but you can't tell me that the sight of a racing car with its regulatory bridles thrown off, monstering the track it's on, isn't awesome.
Old 9 Apr 2018, 19:11 (Ref:3814499)   #8356
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
To reconcile the two sides of the discussion: being awesome and pointless are two things which are NOT mutually exclusive.
Oh crikey, yes! I subscribe to the view that many of the really awesome things are pointless.

Although there are many pointless things that are far from awesome.
Quote:
Yes, it's pointless in some way because it is basically a PR exercise, but you can't tell me that the sight of a racing car with its regulatory bridles thrown off, monstering the track it's on, isn't awesome.
Great, wasn’t it.
Old 9 Apr 2018, 19:12 (Ref:3814502)   #8357
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
As I expressed, I thought the logic in your post was flawed and irrelevant. :confused:

I believe that any discussion that suggests that the restrictions in LMP1 is somehow significant but those in F1 aren’t, or that a comparison of unrestricted in one discipline can be compared to restricted in another, is pointless and can only be considered valid with off the wall logic.
I'm not suggesting that, at least I'm not trying to. I said the lmp1 cars are restricted in a way so they aren't as fast as f1 or close in speed to f1 because that series wants to and should maintain it's "pinnacle". They could make both cars faster, I'm sure. I just was making a correlation between what this 919 evo did and what lmp1 could be vs what is (in terms of speed). I'm sure the FIA has to maintain a balance!
Old 9 Apr 2018, 19:50 (Ref:3814511)   #8358
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know speed records are one of the oldest forms of motorsport. Sure it may not be circuit racing vs other cars, but it is still sport, and pure at that. It's just man and his machine coaxing every potential out of it.. One of the last realms of unrestricted motorsport. Granted, They may not be doing official speed records as observed by the FIA: flying mile, standing distance, or endurance records, etc (closed-course maybe?), but I'll say this, I can't wait to see this thing fly down the corkscrew at Laguna Seca (Weathertech Raceway) regardless if its a PR exercise
Old 9 Apr 2018, 20:39 (Ref:3814520)   #8359
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've found out an interesting thing....

a 80kg/h restricted toyota and porsche lmp1 engine, should be in the range of 580-600hp and with 62L has an about 52 minutes stint lenght.

Compare this to GM 6.2L that last year powered cadillac dpi. If restricted, the engine was in the same power range (but much more torque) and a very similiar fuel miliage (the usual 45 minutes with a 64L fuel tank).

It seems that unrestricted porsche V4 can reach 720hp @9000rpm, while the GM 6.2 I bet can easily reach over 800hp.....

difference? porsche V4 should cost >2 mlns € at least, GM 6.2L should cost less than 100.000$.

The future.
Old 9 Apr 2018, 21:02 (Ref:3814525)   #8360
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I'm not suggesting that, at least I'm not trying to. I said the lmp1 cars are restricted in a way so they aren't as fast as f1 or close in speed to f1 because that series wants to and should maintain it's "pinnacle". They could make both cars faster, I'm sure. I just was making a correlation between what this 919 evo did and what lmp1 could be vs what is (in terms of speed). I'm sure the FIA has to maintain a balance!
I just think that it is fatuous to suggest that the FIA chose not to have an unrestricted LMP1 so that that it is slower than the restricted F1.
Old 9 Apr 2018, 21:05 (Ref:3814526)   #8361
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
In a vaguely interesting thing, it looks like there is writing on the red stripe across the front of the car. What is that? Have I missed what this is about in any of the news articles?
Attached Thumbnails
AE23C37A-D091-40CA-96D2-FE29C880AF4E.jpeg  
Old 9 Apr 2018, 21:32 (Ref:3814536)   #8362
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
In a vaguely interesting thing, it looks like there is writing on the red stripe across the front of the car. What is that? Have I missed what this is about in any of the news articles?
Almost looks like last name and the first letter of the first name.
Tribute to all the people associated to the Porsche LMP1 project?
Old 10 Apr 2018, 00:55 (Ref:3814558)   #8363
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I was wondering if it was something like that.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 01:28 (Ref:3814561)   #8364
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Im a bit saddened that Porsche have pulled out of P1 but there's no going back, the board made the decision and so it stands. Im sure the team would've like to continue but unfortunately like most corporate motorsport programs its not in the hands of the team itself. So for them to be able to come out and do this is fantastic. It really does make you smile and appreciate the team being able to push the boundaries like this.

I really think this is awesome for Porsche to give them the freedom to do this rather then just letting the cars sit in a showroom or a warehouse for a manufacturer to let the leash off and give their engineers the nod to go and take a car to its limits is quite admirable. And the F1 comparison is nice but no doubt that'll be reset at Spa F1 this year. I'm bit over the F1 v LMP1 to and fro I've read online since this was announced, its a bit childish to be honest , just enjoy it for what it is for crying out loud. Haven't seen much mentioned about the fact that the car was TWELVE SECONDS faster then previous P1 times at Spa. Twelve seconds is a massive chunk of time. That is an achievement in itself. Kudos to Porsche. Cant wait to see what they can do at Brands and Laguna. I just hope we get some onboard footage at some stage.

Loving the new front end btw sans headlights.

Last edited by rich07; 10 Apr 2018 at 01:36.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 01:56 (Ref:3814563)   #8365
NSX_LeMans
Racer

NSX_LeMans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The livery has the name of everyone that worked in the car. They did it for 2017 season finale at Bahrain.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 02:13 (Ref:3814565)   #8366
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX_LeMans View Post
The livery has the name of everyone that worked in the car. They did it for 2017 season finale at Bahrain.
Thats a really nice touch. I like small details like that
Old 10 Apr 2018, 02:42 (Ref:3814567)   #8367
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not that it matters for this discussion, but Porsche did put out a press release on breaking the track record at Spa.

https://presse.porsche.de/prod/press...257C3F00786926

Turns out it was quite cold. I think a day with some warmth would see even faster times.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 03:43 (Ref:3814573)   #8368
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX_LeMans View Post
Ah, thanks
Old 10 Apr 2018, 03:59 (Ref:3814575)   #8369
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
This shows the potential lmp1 has without being artificially slowed by the rules to preserve F1's "fastest" claim.
It shows no such thing. This car is flat out unsafe to race in public and running impossibly underweight.

I think putting out a big PR celebration of setting a slim lap record that won't last through August is a bit silly.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 05:16 (Ref:3814578)   #8370
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Post cancelled

Last edited by Spyderman; 10 Apr 2018 at 05:20. Reason: Explanation for the writing on the tape has been given.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 08:13 (Ref:3814597)   #8371
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Am I wrong to assume that a sub 3 minutes in Le mans from this "tribute machine" is possible?!?!?!?
Old 10 Apr 2018, 09:27 (Ref:3814609)   #8372
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Am I wrong to assume that a sub 3 minutes in Le mans from this "tribute machine" is possible?!?!?!?
well.... 720hp + longer and more powerful hybrid boost + front/rear DRS should grant them >360km/h at mulsanne. Suzuki escudolike rear wing should let them run flat out for the whole porsche sector....

spa: 1.54.1 to 1.41.77 is about 11% gain, keeping the same rate for le mans:

3.17.2 -------> 2.55.5

guess I'll try to reproduce 919 EVO on my gtr2
Old 10 Apr 2018, 09:32 (Ref:3814610)   #8373
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
well.... 720hp + longer and more powerful hybrid boost + front/rear DRS should grant them >360km/h at mulsanne. Suzuki escudolike rear wing should let them run flat out for the whole porsche sector....

spa: 1.54.1 to 1.41.77 is about 11% gain, keeping the same rate for le mans:

3.17.2 -------> 2.55.5

guess I'll try to reproduce 919 EVO on my gtr2
Thats an insane possible time at Le Mans..uuaauu!!!!
Old 10 Apr 2018, 09:50 (Ref:3814614)   #8374
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Thats an insane possible time at Le Mans..uuaauu!!!!
According to official statement, at spa the car hitted 359km/h.... considering that 919 EVO is equipped with sideskirt, is really likely that the car could go airborne before indianapolis....
Old 10 Apr 2018, 13:42 (Ref:3814656)   #8375
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if any of us are qualified to say what's really likely. There are more ingredients involved in a blow over than adding side skirts, which really aren't that low. They just look it because we've got so used to seeing the chamfered sides.