Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Nov 2011, 18:35 (Ref:2986819)   #1
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Factually Dubious Childrens Book

I was reading a book with my one year old son earlier, when I noticed this:

Old 15 Nov 2011, 18:40 (Ref:2986822)   #2
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They were obviously swayed by Toyota's advertising...
Old 15 Nov 2011, 18:54 (Ref:2986827)   #3
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Trulli mis-leading
Old 15 Nov 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2986832)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Those rear tyres somehow look bigger and that's a lot of camber on the front left.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 21:11 (Ref:2986921)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a grand prix car isn't it ?
Old 15 Nov 2011, 21:17 (Ref:2986926)   #6
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
It's a grand prix car isn't it ?
Yes. But it's a Toyota. Who famously spent kazillions on F1 and never won a race.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 21:30 (Ref:2986940)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Yes. But it's a Toyota. Who famously spent kazillions on F1 and never won a race.
Yeah, absolutely! I got it, but maybe Toyota istrying to get back that money by selling children's books... Unless fathers explain to them that "that" is not exactly what should be called a "grand prix car in frist place"
Old 15 Nov 2011, 21:43 (Ref:2986948)   #8
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Yeah, absolutely! I got it, but maybe Toyota istrying to get back that money by selling children's books... Unless fathers explain to them that "that" is not exactly what should be called a "grand prix car in frist place"
I might scribble it out and replace it with:

The Grand Prix car is fourth again, and behind it is a lengthy train.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 22:17 (Ref:2986968)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

nothing quite like a dose of reality to make bed time fun for the kids.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 22:30 (Ref:2986972)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Well that's just hilarious. Tried giving out some rep but apparently I must spread some more rep love other than to Super Hans!

Selby
Old 15 Nov 2011, 22:37 (Ref:2986975)   #11
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im confused, can you tell me what age range that book is for, also does it have any long words?

isbn as well, i might put it on a student reading list for a laugh
Old 16 Nov 2011, 07:47 (Ref:2987108)   #12
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
They must be taking the P-an-iss.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 14:40 (Ref:2987246)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Indeed it would appear that it is Olivier Panis at the wheel of the 2004 car.

Here he is on his way to 5th place at the US GP. He could only be dreaming of winning.

Old 17 Nov 2011, 11:19 (Ref:2987653)   #14
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
If the measure was of winning was good cheer and being jolly nice lads then the Toyota team won week in week out.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 11:52 (Ref:2987664)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Toyota tried to be the Japanese version of Ferrari...

That must be why it didn't work.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 12:08 (Ref:2987673)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I think that the reason Toyota didn't work was because by the time the go ahead for development was approved, other teams had moved on. Toyota were always one step behind the other teams due to bosses in Japan dragging their feet and not realising that to stand still in F1 means that you go backwards.

Also trying to communicate between Germany and Japan didn't work too well, and trying to hire good people to work in Germany also went against it. Other decisions like hiring and firing drivers for no apparent reason and hiring Ralf Schumacher on a long term contract for a huge amount of money, gave way to the inevitable jokes as to wonder whether Toyota knew exactly who it was that they were hiring.

Reminds me of a CEO at Ford a while back, who, on looking at the cost of running the Jaguar team, exclaimed: "Who the hell is Eddie Irvine!"
Old 17 Nov 2011, 12:47 (Ref:2987705)   #17
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Reminds me of a CEO at Ford a while back, who, on looking at the cost of running the Jaguar team, exclaimed: "Who the hell is Eddie Irvine!"
He was reading Ford's highest earners list and this mysterious Irishman appeared in the top three IIRC amongst all the execs.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 12:54 (Ref:2987709)   #18
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Toyota's problem was that it was the corporate answer to on 'ocean liner'. Hard to change direction. Whereas for the arms race of F1 you want the maneuverability of a speed-boat.
Old 21 Nov 2011, 23:47 (Ref:2989813)   #19
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ralf used to be pretty reasonable, although I agree a long-term well-paid contract was not a great kick up the backside. He even challenged Montoya at Williams, a driver who I always rated as better. Ralf deserves a bit more credit perhaps, not financially though. He was a bit crappy at the end though. Didn't he go slower than someone who'd never raced in F1 or driven an F1 car when he tested for Force India? (testing is testing though; different programmes etc). He was like Trulli - used to be good.
Old 21 Nov 2011, 23:49 (Ref:2989814)   #20
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

* Waits for Ralf's Girl to come out of the woodwork.
Old 21 Nov 2011, 23:51 (Ref:2989815)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Come on Ralf's girl, bring us hell !
Old 22 Nov 2011, 17:52 (Ref:2990090)   #22
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
This post is factually dubious

Other blatantly factually dubious book include....Harry Potter books, Alex Rider books, The very hungry Caterpillar (there is no way it could eat all that stuff), Star Wars, and probably a couple of others.

All the rest are obviously true.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2990095)   #23
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
I hope my attempt at humour hasn't irritated you JamesH.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2990097)   #24
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I hope my attempt at humour hasn't irritated you JamesH.
Nope, just adding my own contribution!

What irritating is the whole metric sh*t load of work that keep landing on my desk!
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 18:27 (Ref:2990105)   #25
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
That's a relief! I too have had a day of it work-wise. Covering colleagues off sick.