Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 5 Mar 2015, 22:43 (Ref:3512253)   #451
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
Condenser?
Had a race way back in the sixties with my Élan, led by a mile until halfway the engine started to miss,slowly or quickly got worse, won't go into the remainder of the race but just that horrid little wiggly thing started breaking down.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 6 Mar 2015, 00:50 (Ref:3512293)   #452
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
A thing like a two bob condenser putting you out of a race after spending hundreds actually getting it out in a race is "very frustrating" to say the least !
When I used points years ago before I went electronic in 1970/71 ish I just used to put another condenser on the CB side of the coil and fix it on the coil mount. I never had a DNF caused by them !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Mar 2015, 05:41 (Ref:3512342)   #453
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. close Tel close.
Bloody frustrating to say the least.Had a btand new set that lasted all of an hour! The low tension wire going into the points 'chassis'had broken where its held next to the actual join to the points.Oh and they were Ford not a replacement type.
Old 6 Mar 2015, 06:13 (Ref:3512345)   #454
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
One thing's for sure, it's never the coil
As I said very embarresed
Old 6 Mar 2015, 06:55 (Ref:3512348)   #455
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Sorry Iain, would have texted but phone suffered a 'catastrophic hardware failure' yesterday so am off to Apple shop this morn to see if can sort out a replacement....

Funny how it expired less than two weeks after being unlocked and changing to sim only! (Conspiracy theory.....)
Old 6 Mar 2015, 13:25 (Ref:3512473)   #456
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mrs Mac & I got identical smart phones at the same time. Almost to the day, 2 years later they both started losing their charge after 8 hours whereas they used to last 3-4 days. New batteries (OEM) fitted, no better.

This synchronized obsolesence does make you wonder.
Old 6 Mar 2015, 13:32 (Ref:3512477)   #457
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
You worry me ! ha ha
Old 6 Mar 2015, 13:34 (Ref:3512479)   #458
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Bloody frustrating to say the least.Had a btand new set that lasted all of an hour! The low tension wire going into the points 'chassis'had broken where its held next to the actual join to the points.Oh and they were Ford not a replacement type.
Terence - unless they were Ford and bought years ago, any you get from them now may well come in 'Ford' packaging, but will probably still be cheap rubbish from China!

I use quite a bit of this stuff in my business, and often get stuff that's supposedly genuine 'Jaguar' or 'Austin Healey' OE parts - but they're still crap! Some of them - condensers, rotor arms especially, are crap right from the word go, others work for a short while before giving trouble. Sometimes, I get one that actually works and lasts, but it's hit & miss.

Have you tried the Distributor Doctor? His stuff is good - condensers, points, rotors and caps made properly and to last.

By the way - it's never the coil!
Old 6 Mar 2015, 13:45 (Ref:3512483)   #459
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Mrs Mac & I got identical smart phones at the same time. Almost to the day, 2 years later they both started losing their charge after 8 hours whereas they used to last 3-4 days. New batteries (OEM) fitted, no better.

Mmm, my phone is 25 months old...... Anyways, fought my way into the Apple Store about 1145, and was given an appointment by the greeter for 5pm. Not impressed, so hung around the tech guys table hoping for something earlier. One of the guys looked at the phone, squeezed it near top and display came back. So was then upgraded to Genius Bar, where 5 mins later another guy put all the info into his iPad, chatted to his superior, and confirmed that they were ordering a new phone and would be at no cost to me!

So well done Apple, only lost an hour of my day and wallet relieved to say the least.....
Old 6 Mar 2015, 17:08 (Ref:3512534)   #460
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post

Terence - unless they were Ford and bought years ago, any you get from them now may well come in 'Ford' packaging, but will probably still be cheap rubbish from China!

I use quite a bit of this stuff in my business, and often get stuff that's supposedly genuine 'Jaguar' or 'Austin Healey' OE parts - but they're still crap! Some of them - condensers, rotor arms especially, are crap right from the word go, others work for a short while before giving trouble. Sometimes, I get one that actually works and lasts, but it's hit
Have you tried the Distributor Doctor? His stuff is good - condensers, points, rotors and caps made properly and to last.

By the way - it's never the coil!
Yes thanks but am aware of the rubbish available.These were new old stock.
Old 8 Mar 2015, 11:32 (Ref:3512946)   #461
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
The next time a load of HSCC race driver youngsters go karting tell me not to go.!!!!
I got biffed ,boffed and bashed,and at one point I got hit so hard I was on my way to Milton Keynes shopping center I was so far off the track.
Still great fun but I did look on the podium after and thought that all three drivers with their total age "and weight" did not add up to my age. I did manage to beat some of the hot shots which was very rewarding ,just paying for it now with brused ribs and a few other aches and pain's.
Old 8 Mar 2015, 12:03 (Ref:3512953)   #462
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Goodwood 73 members meeting.

I have asked on the other forum but got no reply as yet, what's the best direction to approach Goodwood circuit from to avoid most traffic, I will be coming from the M25 from Kent and don't mind setting off early.
Old 8 Mar 2015, 12:14 (Ref:3512955)   #463
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I have asked on the other forum but got no reply as yet, what's the best direction to approach Goodwood circuit from to avoid most traffic, I will be coming from the M25 from Kent and don't mind setting off early.
Tim from experience of the Revival there is no way to avoid queues except by turning up very early, however, I am no too sure about the MM. Advice on the forum when I enquired said traffic was not to bad and entry fairly rapid, go back through the MM thread to find it.

I would favour M25, M3, A127, and follow signs to circuit. Leaving to arrive at 6.0 am from Luton it took just under two hours to get into a car park at the 2013 Revival.

Hope to see you there,

Bob.
Old 8 Mar 2015, 12:28 (Ref:3512957)   #464
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't forget to come and say hello.
Old 8 Mar 2015, 13:03 (Ref:3512960)   #465
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Tim. I would favour going round the M25, down the A3 to Milford, then south on A283 to Petworth, then south A285 through Duncton and that will take you straight into the back of the circuit.
Pretty ride on a nice day and I've never found much traffic, even at the Revival. Enjoy.
Old 8 Mar 2015, 13:37 (Ref:3512971)   #466
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I head across country from where I live and use the 272 then branch off for Storrington/Amberley/Slindon, although I still have to use the A27 for a bit it is still quicker for me than going further along the 272 to Petworth and down the 285.
Saying all that if you leave early Tim you shouldn't have too much trouble as there won't be as much mayhem as the Revival, also I find the traffic arrangements at Goodwood amazing considering the actual final approach roads.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Mar 2015, 13:44 (Ref:3512972)   #467
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Saying all that if you leave early Tim you shouldn't have too much trouble as there won't be as much mayhem as the Revival, also I find the traffic arrangements at Goodwood amazing considering the actual final approach roads.

They are very good at getting the punters in. Each approach direction gets own car park(s), and personally never had a problem from any point of the compass!

Old 8 Mar 2015, 16:25 (Ref:3512998)   #468
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Thanks for the info, I might just go straight down towards Brighton and cut across the A27. I seem to remember when I picked a car up from near Pullborough last year going off the A23 at Bolney and across country was a bit of a mare.
Old 8 Mar 2015, 18:06 (Ref:3513018)   #469
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim, the A272 from Bolney is a cracking drive if there's nothing in the way but you need to watch the limits as it attracts a lot of attention from the boys in blue because the bikers love it.

Then through Petworth (don't bother with the 'bypass', it doesn't save any time) where the residents often sit out to wave to you (or offer other gestures if you make too much noise going past the big wall).The last leg up Duncton hill, past the big farm and in through the back door is a lovely way to end the journey.
Old 8 Mar 2015, 18:17 (Ref:3513022)   #470
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Then through Petworth (don't bother with the 'bypass', it doesn't save any time) where the residents often sit out to wave to you (or offer other gestures if you make too much noise going past the big wall).
I remember Petworth, the residents pointed a speed gun at me when I picked the Chevy up last year, I wouldn't mind but it was on the back of my trailer and It's up hill, not sure what they were hoping to achieve but I suppose it kept them out of church that Sunday so at least no young boys were harmed.
I quite fancy going in the Chevy, would it be allowed or is it too common to grace the hallowed ground?
Old 8 Mar 2015, 18:20 (Ref:3513023)   #471
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Tim, it's a race meeting for enthusiasts. Forget the Goidwood epithet just come along and enjoy it. Much less formal than the revival and just a bit of fun.
Old 8 Mar 2015, 18:33 (Ref:3513026)   #472
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Software update?

There are many reports of such things trashing the power management settings usually inadvertently. Sometimes because they set changes that can potentially extend battery life ... but not if the old settings are left as they are.

If often amazes me that electronic stuff ever works at all.
Old 8 Mar 2015, 18:40 (Ref:3513029)   #473
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Software update?

There are many reports of such things trashing the power management settings usually inadvertently. Sometimes because they set changes that can potentially extend battery life ... but not if the old settings are left as they are.

If often amazes me that electronic stuff ever works at all.
It could well be, perhaps some changes in an update that need turning off are sapping power. I know if the GPS is on on my smart phone the battery will go flat in a couple of hours. My iPhone will last a few days if I don't use it but I'm lucky if it'll get past 8-10 hours if I start looking at apps or even dare to make a phone call.
Old 9 Mar 2015, 11:14 (Ref:3513230)   #474
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
....... and in through the back door is a lovely way to end the journey.
There must be a witty comment due here but I can't for the life of me think of one. I'm sure Gordon will come up with something.
Old 9 Mar 2015, 11:42 (Ref:3513242)   #475
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Any V8 experts here

This Chevy is driving me up the wall at the moment, I can't get it to run on all 8 cylinders at the same time. It seems to foul varying plugs, take the offending plug/s out and clean them and it'll run smoothly for a while then start missing again. This is from cold and mainly affects the front cylinders on each bank although other cylinders go down at times.
It has fairly hot plugs in, Champion #12, the carb isn't flooding but it does seem to have poor vacuum on tickover although that could be down to the misfire.
It's a 350 cu inch with a Holley 4 barrel carb, I've done no other checks on it but I don't think it's rings or head gaskets as it's so variable.
Anyone got any ideas where to start looking?
Closed Thread