Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 27 Jun 2002, 15:50 (Ref:322925)   #1
racerratt692
Rookie

racerratt692 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
where is alan menu and jason plato at now?!

hello racefans

where is alan menu and jason plato?
will they ever race together again?
Old 27 Jun 2002, 16:15 (Ref:322936)   #2
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Racerratt, Jason is competing in the ASCAR championship this year, it's oval racing european style. The championship has got off to a bit of a slow start due to the weather but Jason is doing ok and enjoying himself. Not sure about Alan Menu sorry!
Old 27 Jun 2002, 16:25 (Ref:322941)   #3
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Alain Menu is driving in the German touring car championship, DTM for Opel.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 17:57 (Ref:322972)   #4
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alain has recently had a podium at the Sachsenring and is getting better all the time.

Jason Plato is currently making a neusence of himself in ASCAR while being about 5th in the championship.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 19:04 (Ref:322998)   #5
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Reido Rules
Alain has recently had a podium at the Sachsenring and is getting better all the time.

Jason Plato is currently making a neusence of himself in ASCAR while being about 5th in the championship.
Well from what i've seen, Plato is racing hard which is what a racing driver is supposed to do, it's just that miserable sod, Stevie Hodgson who doesn't like anyone who is willing to go wheel to wheel with him, All I have to say to Hodgson is wake up and smell the coffee.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 20:22 (Ref:323043)   #6
Vatanen
Racer

Vatanen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by OVERSTEER

Well from what i've seen, Plato is racing hard which is what a racing driver is supposed to do, it's just that miserable sod, Stevie Hodgson who doesn't like anyone who is willing to go wheel to wheel with him, All I have to say to Hodgson is wake up and smell the coffee.
Erm.....I think Hodgson has a point when Plato nerfs him off onto the grass at 150mph!
Old 27 Jun 2002, 20:39 (Ref:323057)   #7
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The original question here was about what Menu and Plato are doing now they're no longer in the BTCC. If you want to discuss driving standards in ASCAR then please do that in the ASCAR forum.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 20:57 (Ref:323068)   #8
Fieldmouse1985
Rookie

Fieldmouse1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
jeez carrie thats a bit harsh isnt it? the questions already been answerd so who cares if the point is wandered off??
Old 27 Jun 2002, 21:45 (Ref:323115)   #9
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As one of the moderators here, I happen to care if a thread goes off topic. All I was pointing out was that the Touring Car forum is not the place for an ASCAR discussion. In case you're not aware, the Touring Car forum is just one part of a whole network of forums here on ten-tenths and as such the correct place for ASCAR discussion is the ASCAR forum
As for the questions already having been answered, yes, people have given answers to racerratt692 first question, but nobody seems to have ventured an opinion on the second question. Personally I can't see them racing in the same series again, but who knows what the future holds.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 22:00 (Ref:323124)   #10
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie
As one of the moderators here, I happen to care if a thread goes off topic.
Well said I agree with your point, well said.

As for the second question about them racing in the same series agian, is if they both end up racing Sportscars at Le Mans at some point in the future, but we will have to see about that one.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 22:15 (Ref:323134)   #11
Reido Rules
Veteran

I agree with Plates but he is upsetting people and there was no contact in the incident mentioned before and Stevie is an Arrogant git, with some kind of mental problem.

But Plato is racing as hard as ever and has not changed his tactics, so all these mentions of ASCAR are giving news about the progress of Plato in the series and how he is driving.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 06:32 (Ref:323329)   #12
yago
Rookie

yago should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Menu is doing well in DTM, being one of the best Opel drivers.

About seeing them racing together, I think Plato has made himself a very bad image (why did Vauxhall prefer Muller otherwise) and has a very bad press, at least in non-British specialized press (I haven't read Autosport for a long time now), so I doubt he'll ever race in the DTM.

But it may be somebody gives him another chance in the BTCC and if this championship comes back to its former glory, Menu may come back.

Yago
Old 28 Jun 2002, 11:44 (Ref:323500)   #13
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Menu did Le Mans this year sharing that Prodrive Ferrari 550M with Rickard Rydell.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 14:22 (Ref:323642)   #14
Tim Harvey Fan
Racer

Tim Harvey Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carrie, what does it matter if we start talking about former BTCC drivers? So what if they are in another series now? I can see your point if we we started talking about something REALLY off topic but this is still racing. There was a forum before about the Speed Channel World Challenge and nobody seemed to mind. Lighten up a bit!
Old 28 Jun 2002, 17:35 (Ref:323784)   #15
Reido Rules
Veteran

I doubt we will ever see Plates back in the BTCC as he has said that he intends to be in NASCAR in the next couple of years and with his progress (in a poorly tuned car may I add) who would bett against it. I don't think Menu will move to ASCAR and Plates won't be back in the BTCC after what he has said so unless they both get some sportscar drives at Le Mans or sommet like that then I think it is unlikely that we'll ever see them together again.

Plato has had a pot shot at the BTCC calling it "skilless", "soft", "boring", "political" and finally "unchallenging" he has also critisised the mentality of the BTCC fans calling them "ignorant" and "dissinteresting" as he feels that BTCC fans do not like real racing, are scared of contact and do not have the mentality to fathem what skills are needed in ASCAR.

I'm not going to comment, but give your views.

Last edited by Reido Rules; 28 Jun 2002 at 17:37.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 18:11 (Ref:323819)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He may well of said that, but that's only because he doesn't earn a living in the BTCC now...I'm sure if some manufacturer was to wave a large cheque in front of him he wouldn't be long in coming back.

Last edited by touringlegend; 28 Jun 2002 at 18:16.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 20:24 (Ref:323888)   #17
Vatanen
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Reido Rules

I'm not going to comment, but give your views.
I can't. Bad language and insults are not permitted.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 21:53 (Ref:323956)   #18
Reido Rules
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
He may well of said that, but that's only because he doesn't earn a living in the BTCC now...I'm sure if some manufacturer was to wave a large cheque in front of him he wouldn't be long in coming back.
Plates believes that next year when he is in a cup car over in the states he will be earning 4 times the amout that he could ever dream of as a BTCC drivera nd he'd be a celeb in the states and in parts of the Uk, where as he'd just be nothing in comparrison in the BTCC. But his main reason for saying that he won't come back to the BTCC is that he is a racing driver and he believes that BTCC drivers and stewards are scared of racing.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 22:23 (Ref:323970)   #19
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Did he make these comments of the "BTCC is scared of racing" before or during this season? Has he seen any of the battles this year in BTC Touring?
Old 28 Jun 2002, 23:35 (Ref:323990)   #20
Vatanen
Racer

He probably hasn't seen it and don't give a monkey's tbh. But then he's not paid by the BTCC establishment anymore.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 17:50 (Ref:324280)   #21
Reido Rules
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend

Did he make these comments of the "BTCC is scared of racing" before or during this season? Has he seen any of the battles this year in BTC Touring?
I can assure you that he has seen some of this years BTCC but he is more interested in racing 5 (even 6) wide, with no single team domination and contact all the way, I have to say I think every ASCAR driver has shown willing to do pannel banging this year, and non have moaned except one individual in a number 8 car.

These comments were made after he watched a BTCC race and was asked to comment on it's excitment compared to the ASCAR round at Rockingham.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 20:56 (Ref:324336)   #22
manicmarshal
Racer

manicmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cannot see either racing together again as they both have differing ambitions and seem to be going in the arena's that they want to be in. Poles apart and enjoying their challenges. Hope they both continue to do well in both their careers. I enjoyed seeing Alain race at Donington a big shame about puncture. Have to confess that I cannot get excited about Ascar or Nascar, prefer bends and corners and strange shaped circuits to Ovals but good luck anyway guys.
Old 4 Jul 2002, 21:24 (Ref:327328)   #23
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beside Menu driving a DTM touring car, he also drove for the British based Proline motorsport Ferrari 550s Marinellos who were racing at the 24 hours of Lemans, but the Ferrari didn't make it to the end.
Old 4 Jul 2002, 22:51 (Ref:327367)   #24
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Prodrive...and he set the fastest le mans lap in that Ferrari I believe.
Old 5 Jul 2002, 17:45 (Ref:327832)   #25
Reido Rules
Veteran

Menu is currently short of that luck, which he had at times in the BTCC which is a shame because he is driving well.