Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 10 Oct 2009, 21:40 (Ref:2558412)   #1
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone - AMOC - 18th Oct

Anyone going?

I'm giving Harry a run out for the first time in over three years in the Super GT series. Hopefully all of his previous ailments have healed now.

Not sure about the nut behind the wheel.
Old 11 Oct 2009, 13:39 (Ref:2559000)   #2
joss Ronchetti
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Glen, Leicester
joss Ronchetti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was going to be there in my Sunbeam Lotus but unfourtunately have had to withdraw my entry due to a dropped valve that exited the engine via the piston and sump. Would be good to have had a run out against you as your 'Harry' may be eligible for Classic Thunder Next Year (If it is steel bodied) as they should be changing the rules to let any engines in as long as the the shell is steel (no spaceframes)
Old 13 Oct 2009, 05:24 (Ref:2560350)   #3
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Joss,

Sorry to hear about your engine. Sounds expensive.

OK on Classic Thunder, sounds like the barn doors are getting opened wider in the hope that they'll get enough to make it all worthwhile.

Well - I'm hoping to stay with AMOC and Super GT if it runs next year, mostly because of the type of races 30min, 40min with two driver, etc.. which fits the bill of what I like to do.
Old 13 Oct 2009, 11:58 (Ref:2560511)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
2 driver Sunday then Rob, what time shall I be there with my kit?

I have to say the doors are not being opened wider to get more in as there are plenty in this year anyhow its just Joss needs some competition and how many people have been banging on about giving the old Thundersaloons somewhere to run well here it is, (I think we should get Chengs Cobra in as well, that beast will give him a run for his money.).

Very best of luck incidently I am hoping to have a run out with Intermarque next year if they allow my late model in (I have asked), I will keep the old girl for Post Historics where we are quite happy at the moment :-).
Old 13 Oct 2009, 16:31 (Ref:2560664)   #5
joss Ronchetti
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Glen, Leicester
I think we will be drawing the line at sportscars in the championship Al.
Will hopefully get to run out against the Cobra next season somewhere though.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 20:02 (Ref:2561525)   #6
andy robinson
Racer

United Kingdom
cramlington, northumberland
andy robinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joss, I like you better in a black E30 give everyone a chance & besides its the car you won the championship in
Old 14 Oct 2009, 22:04 (Ref:2561584)   #7
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Al, no. 30 minute races for single drivers (divorced or married, only one need apply!), and 40 minute two driver races (or races where you have to take a pit stop where you may change driver if you so wish).

Tim Lewis is bringing his Alfa out in Class 2. You could bring your ol' tub out I'm sure.

I'd still like to bring out an ASCAR in road course trim, but they don't think it fits with the ethos of the series. Maybe if I put a 900hp blown LS7 in it, they'd change their mind?

Andy -
Old 19 Oct 2009, 05:07 (Ref:2564245)   #8
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Grump! Tyres (well, they are like J R Hartley, and rather old!. Just like driving on ice - couldn't get any heat into them at all)
Grump! Damn front suspension (though we now know what's really going on, and how to fix it)
Grump! Rear main seal
Grump! Oil pump belt (somewhere between Ireland and Abbey)

Still, it was a hoot! Great day, great atmosphere, nice people, and in the words of Arnold - I'll be back!

Tim Lewis (Alfa Sud Sprint) was blindingly quick (as usual) but suffered mechanical gremlins and failed a lap or two after me. It's hard to believe that Tim's Alfa was hassling David Ellis' monster - but he was! He was in the lead from Lap 4!!!!!!!

Al - you'll have some fun in the Intermarque - I'm sure of that. Damn is Boysie Thurtle's Camaro quick! He was in my race too - came second eventually.
Old 19 Oct 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2564314)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Bloody hard luck Rob, so I still have the only film of Harry in action! Sounds like you have the lip seal in round the wrong way or your main thrusts have failed, either way contact me I can help as it can be put right and I have been there done that. ANd do you know what lunched my main bearing thrusts? A dodgy clutch believe it or not and I am building an engine now with the same crank I had repaired as over length mains are available for the small block (I have the numbers). I am hoping they will let me run in Class B in the 3rd gen as niether of my cars would be in Boysies league.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 05:54 (Ref:2565957)   #10
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
I'm pretty sure I know what it is. Lack of silicone around the rear main when I assembled it. I was warned that I needed to put lots in on a Dart block because of the expansion of the alloy. Also, I may (or may not) have put the seal in wrong, where it should be set with the two parts at "ten to two", they might be at "quarter to three", which is known to cause leaks.

I'm going to make a start of the next project in a few days, the Lacetti is going in the workshop, and I'll strip it out ready for Mr Disc Cutter get's to work. Have to make up some bracing for the floorpan first, so it doesn't get all out of shape when cut it out for the engine/gearbox/prop/rear axle, etc..

We looked carefully at the front end on the Belmont, and have decided that it may take a lot of work to make it perform properly with the 18" boots, and 400lb of engine in the place where it's at. I'm going to fix the issue with the steering links, so I can at least run it while the next project is underway. I don't intend it being a 10 year project like Mr Ellis' GTR700!!

It sounds like they might warm to the ASCAR since they were used in SCCA Trans-Am in the GTA class - making it a proper road course racer in it's own right! (I remember GT1 teams getting upset about the GTA's being too quick at times!)
Old 21 Oct 2009, 07:04 (Ref:2565980)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes you need a good old slodge there for sure however they don't usually leak terribly especially with a dry sump system and the negative crankcase pressure that will ensure. End of last year l looked under my car and saw a stream of oil pouring out the rear seal not the odd drop. On inspection the rear main was shot and it had shot the block as well as it stretched the main saddles. Unfortunately I never realised this fact and had the crank ground over length and rebuilt it (over length bearings are fortunately available), the clue with hindsight was the extreme tightness fitting the new shells into the block and saddle and the play the saddle had in the block it had obviously become stretched. It lasted 11 laps at Thruxton and fortunately I had a major head gasket problem and pulled up, on inspection the rear main was shot again but the crank was good and is going back in the new engine the block however is toast. All this was caused by me not noticing a severe warp in the the clutch floater and pressure ring and trying to over adjust to get it to release. You live and learn good luck with your projects may bump into you at a meeting next year if AMOC will let me out! :-)
Old 21 Oct 2009, 22:03 (Ref:2566677)   #12
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
You'll be allowed into the Intermarque with either of your tubs, plus you'd be welcome in Super GT with the IROC car.
You've been mentioned on the PH thread about it.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 22:32 (Ref:2566696)   #13
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
r59
were do you get the regs for super GT looked on amoc web site can not find them
Old 22 Oct 2009, 06:06 (Ref:2566835)   #14
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by big andy View Post
r59
were do you get the regs for super GT looked on amoc web site can not find them
PM me with your current email address, and I'll send you copy of the 2009 regs. I don't expect them to change much for 2010, if at all.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 10:50 (Ref:2566989)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
You'll be allowed into the Intermarque with either of your tubs, plus you'd be welcome in Super GT with the IROC car.
You've been mentioned on the PH thread about it.
Thats good to hear, whats the PH thread?

I must say they do not advertise the regs very well on their site do they as I was searching awhile back for Intermarque regs and couldnt find them, someone here has now kindly sent me a copy.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 06:25 (Ref:2567657)   #16
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
The thread is in the UK Club Motorsport section - strangely called AMOC Super GT.

The Super GT regs used to be available on the Super GT's own website - which has been taken down now, so not a lot of use there! If you email comps@amoc.org they'll send you the regs.

Reading them, I have to change my fuel tank for 2010. Has to be a safety cell, can't use a foam filled alloy tank any more.

That's another £1400..... ouch!
Old 24 Oct 2009, 15:57 (Ref:2568746)   #17
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
lml698 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a quick message to all those who are interested in competing in the AMOC Super GT for 2010. As the man who chairs the Competitions Committee for AMOC I have the unenviable job of proposing what we run next year in our meetings. Please let me know if you want to enter cars next year as the grids we not as good as we needed this year. All organisers are suffering a bit but I really want to make this series work. So I need ammunition in order to propose lots of more races next year. We had lots of promises this year which did not materialise. I know this can happen but we will need far stronger indications for 2010 than we had in 2009. Please contact the office at "comps@amoc.org"
Mark Campbell
Old 24 Oct 2009, 17:25 (Ref:2568776)   #18
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
My cars would be hopelessly out classed in Super GT Rob I was more interested in Class B of the Intermarque for my 87 IROC-Z it probably wouldnt cut it there either. :-)
Old 24 Oct 2009, 18:10 (Ref:2568801)   #19
joss Ronchetti
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Glen, Leicester
Puts me out entering if we need saftey cells, I only have a foam filled alloy tank
Old 24 Oct 2009, 19:32 (Ref:2568842)   #20
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
That's all I have at the moment, but I have been looking at replacing the tank for some time - so I can put dry-break refuelling on the car.

If enough people shout about that reg change, maybe they won't do it? If you don't ask, you'll never find out.

Al - I was thinking about you getting that old IROC Camaro out, not the IROC-Z!!
Old 24 Oct 2009, 20:04 (Ref:2568863)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Not if I have to change it drastically from original as I believe that the only way I can preserve any value in the car even so it would not cut it against the super cars it just weighs too much.