Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Jan 2011, 22:54 (Ref:2816222)   #76
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasdriv87 View Post
where are the porsches ????
Down the order...this is the second 24h race within 12 months with no Porsche on the podium (the other being the Nürburgring 24h).

That is partly due to the poor reliability of the GT3-R but also because there has been somewhat of a shift in power in GT racing. The times when Porsche was in complete control of the action with an occasional Ferrari victory in between are over for now...

Other manufacturers have stepped up their game, especially BMW. This is the second 24h win within 12 months, it would have been a third without the terrible luck at Spa. And they´ve snatched up the ALMS Championship as well..

And with Mercedes coming in as well, times surely aren't getting any easier for Porsche in the forseeable future, will be interesting to see how much difference the 2011 update for the GT3-RSR makes. But they really have to work on those GT3-Rs, that car's reliability record in 24h races is almost as poor as the R8's.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 22:59 (Ref:2816224)   #77
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
it would have been a third without the terrible luck at Spa.
It would have been there first if it wasn't for Porsche's bad luck at the N24, we can play this what could have been game all day...
Old 15 Jan 2011, 23:08 (Ref:2816230)   #78
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
It would have been there first if it wasn't for Porsche's bad luck at the N24, we can play this what could have been game all day...
Still, it dosen't change the fact that Porsche is not really dominant anymore.

Maybe the rear-engine concept is finally at its limit and they really need to ditch the 911 as racing platform.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 01:04 (Ref:2816254)   #79
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some really good footage of the race over on YouTube... garage action anyway
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Jan 2011, 13:32 (Ref:2816362)   #80
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe the rear-engine concept is finally at its limit and they really need to ditch the 911 as racing platform.
Humm not really, try again.

It didnt help that all the GT3 R's had to carry 50kg more ballast than everyone else.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 14:06 (Ref:2816376)   #81
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Quote:

It didnt help that all the GT3 R's had to carry 50kg more ballast than everyone else.
And that explains the reliability issues how exactly? The car's speed is not the problem but the exhaust issues suggest that Porsche has pushed the rear-engine concept too far.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 14:59 (Ref:2816388)   #82
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
Quote:
The car's speed is not the problem but the exhaust issues suggest that Porsche has pushed the rear-engine concept too far.
By that logic Peugeot engine trouble at le mans suggest they have pushed the diesel concept too far.

The exhaust design can easily be changed to fix the issue, and will be.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 15:47 (Ref:2816395)   #83
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Still, it dosen't change the fact that Porsche is not really dominant anymore.

Rear engine cars have less drive train loss compared to front engine cars and are able to put more weight on the drive wheels.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 17:45 (Ref:2816433)   #84
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the reliability isues have nothing to do with the rear concept, 911-or similar models have raced with 200hp more then the gt3 r and dominated varius championships,

the reliability isues are however an indication that porsche as a factory is being pushed to increase performance more then ever before, and reliability is the first to give in performance oriented quickend development, cars are being raced before proper testing and desings are ironed out on the racetracks,
the realiability issus will be addresd soon enough, but I agree that gone are the days of porsche domination, and porsche foolproof race cars!

10 years ago it was understood that all porsche gt cars finish any race no mater how hard they are driven, now it is not unheardoff for all porshes runing for a victory to have problems, hindering them to win! Don't get me wrong compared to th competition in the varius classes porsche is still considered reliable, but compared to their own image and history of unbreakability....

Last edited by arakis; 16 Jan 2011 at 17:52.
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2816437)   #85
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Don't forget that GT3-cars aren't really geared towards endurance racing as their usual format is the 2x1hour sprints - even though that seems about to change with British GT switching to a more endurance oriented format as well as Belcar and of course the new Blancpain series...
Old 17 Jan 2011, 19:30 (Ref:2816967)   #86
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Humm not really, try again.

leading Z4 had to carry more than that.
Old 17 Jan 2011, 19:33 (Ref:2816970)   #87
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
leading Z4 had to carry more than that.
So did the #18 GT3 R they had 100kg(50KG all GT3 R's had to carry and 50KG for qualifying under the 2:05 limit)
Old 17 Jan 2011, 19:39 (Ref:2816977)   #88
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
Hi Andy , thanks for your effort
Would it be possible to upload these photos to another gallery for avid non-facebook users though ?
sorry, I was working there for NeedforSpeed for their facebook page. if you goto there page, more images available now. Sorry about that
Old 17 Jan 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2816979)   #89
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
sorry, I was working there for NeedforSpeed for their facebook page. if you goto there page, more images available now. Sorry about that
It is ok Andy. No need to excuse yourself. I have seen quite some pictures by now ... Now I only should make sure that i dont miss the release of the review dvd
Old 18 Jan 2011, 02:02 (Ref:2817144)   #90
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Fantastic win by Schubert-well done to them! Very happy to see them win, I've been following the teams fortunes over at Speedhunters, great coverage there, some wonderful photography during the night.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 08:35 (Ref:2817218)   #91
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Fantastic win by Schubert-well done to them! Very happy to see them win, I've been following the teams fortunes over at Speedhunters, great coverage there, some wonderful photography during the night.
Thanks, we try our best
Old 19 Jan 2011, 17:05 (Ref:2817854)   #92
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
26 Minutes riding onboard with Sean Edwards in the Tolimit Arabia GT3 R fighting back from 16th during the night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM0BHgipltA
Old 19 Jan 2011, 20:42 (Ref:2817977)   #93
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
26 Minutes riding onboard with Sean Edwards in the Tolimit Arabia GT3 R fighting back from 16th during the night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM0BHgipltA
Great Video.

Do you know if Sean has anymore videos from the Tolimit GT3 R?

Tom.
Old 21 Jan 2011, 16:56 (Ref:2818886)   #94
Sean Edwards
Racer

United Kingdom
Monaco
Sean Edwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
Great Video.

Do you know if Sean has anymore videos from the Tolimit GT3 R?

Tom.
Yes I have most of the race I will upload a day stint.
Old 29 Jan 2011, 20:18 (Ref:2822405)   #95
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
wrong thread!
Old 3 Aug 2011, 11:49 (Ref:2935342)   #96
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well this has nothing to do with '11 race but in rather surprising turn of events, Radio Le Mans will cover the entire race and build-up next year!
Another 24 Hours added to 2012

It's a decent little start to new season and RLM coverage is always superb no matter the event, but if I had a choice I'd rather have Daytona or Spa 24 (or even Bathurst 12h) covered...
Old 6 Aug 2011, 01:25 (Ref:2936345)   #97
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But having RLM cover the race it could make push more manufacturers to consider endurance racing. I know we have a good portion of the performance car world involved but any publicity involving a well known broadcast crew has to be a good thing to take to budget meetings. Plus it is racing that can break up the long winter offseason, was kind of painful to look forward to Daytona to end the dark winter. Not that I hate Grand Am but the track can be painfully boring sometimes.
Old 6 Aug 2011, 02:10 (Ref:2936352)   #98
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post

It's a decent little start to new season and RLM coverage is always superb no matter the event, but if I had a choice I'd rather have Daytona or Spa 24 (or even Bathurst 12h) covered...
Bathurst yes, Daytona maybe, Spa no... Dubai has become the much better event.
Old 6 Aug 2011, 02:32 (Ref:2936354)   #99
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Bathurst yes, Daytona maybe, Spa no... Dubai has become the much better event.
Not a fan of the circuit but still, I have to agree that Dubai has become a better race than Spa. You get a much better variety and different classes of cars. Its become like the Nurburgring with GT and saloon cars as apposed to just generic GT3 and GT4 cars you find at Spa now. If Bathurst can just get some more GT cars in 2012 then it will also overtake past the 24h Spa on my long list of favourite endurance races.

They cant really do Daytona since MoRoN Radio has official broadcasting rights for English Language radio coverage of Grand Am events. Its just too bad that MRN is stuffed with ads, their commentators tend to ramble on about a pile of pants, and they dont even bother to stay up through the night.