Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 17 Sep 2016, 16:54 (Ref:3673091)   #1226
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
You really think that the OEM's are not aware of the requirements or that they do not have to submit renders for approval?

L.P.
I think it's not unlikely that even though the OEMs were made aware of the requirements, that these requirements themselves are relatively vague.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 17:00 (Ref:3673095)   #1227
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Did you read my previous post about the series getting to review and approve the plans?
I read it, and I also have read all the disparaging tidbits that are surrounding it.

L.P.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 17:08 (Ref:3673098)   #1228
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Exactly what I was trying to say, it is up to the black box that is "series management".
Right, and at what point does the vagueness of the requirements become the issue?
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 17 Sep 2016, 19:15 (Ref:3673155)   #1229
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I said headlights because that area is one of the 'free' zones the dpi's can change. That may qualify as a significant change. I could see this front end being put on a Ligier be called manufacturer bodywork-

Old 17 Sep 2016, 19:19 (Ref:3673161)   #1230
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I said headlights because that area is one of the 'free' zones the dpi's can change.
As I understand things, they have to make unique bodywork in at least TWO of the areas specified.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 19:23 (Ref:3673163)   #1231
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
As I understand things, they have to make unique bodywork in at least TWO of the areas specified.
The Nissan front end would work then. The nose area and the front wheel arches/headlights are two separate places.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 19:32 (Ref:3673165)   #1232
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I said headlights because that area is one of the 'free' zones the dpi's can change. That may qualify as a significant change. I could see this front end being put on a Ligier be called manufacturer bodywork-

I would also agree that this front end in total would represent stylized OEM body work vs the constructor's original.

L.P.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 20:34 (Ref:3673181)   #1233
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
The Nissan front end would work then. The nose area and the front wheel arches/headlights are two separate places.
They would have to be specifically designed for the chassis, however, and without Nissan's assistance that could be an issue for them.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 21:58 (Ref:3673206)   #1234
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
And that's the question. Unique bodywork, technically, could be a simple change... When compared with the original OEM Ligier, or whoever else, it's "unique"

This is a potentially large loophole for those who are happy with their aero kit.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 17 Sep 2016, 23:28 (Ref:3673269)   #1235
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
They would have to be specifically designed for the chassis, however, and without Nissan's assistance that could be an issue for them.
I know that. I just put up that pic as an illustration to show a manufacturer-look.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 01:29 (Ref:3673366)   #1236
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Who knows Patron paid the mnf.fee on behave of Nissan and also paid Ligier to come up with 'Nissan' styled bodywork???
Old 18 Sep 2016, 01:30 (Ref:3673371)   #1237
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Who knows Patron paid the mnf.fee on behave of Nissan and also paid Ligier to come up with 'Nissan' styled bodywork???
That would be a sizable investment - if so, probably with freed up money for a halted WEC campaign.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 09:41 (Ref:3673610)   #1238
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do we actually know Nissan is definitely NOT involved beyond the engine?

So far they've pretty much just said no comment.

Maybe they pay the fee, ESM and Ligier design Nissan styled bodywork.... With permission and maybe a little assistance from Nissan.

A strong Nissan performance in IMSA would certainly help in the US after the massive Super Bowl ad followed by failed P1...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 Sep 2016, 09:55 (Ref:3673614)   #1239
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post

The fact that nobody has heard anything on this until the announcement tells me Nissan is not involved beyond giving them permission to use their equipment - it's nigh on impossible to keep plans for factory-backed programs secret.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 10:29 (Ref:3673625)   #1240
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I still think they are getting a free-pass, based on the promise of increased involvement in 2018.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 11:44 (Ref:3673648)   #1241
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Maybe they pay the fee, ESM and Ligier design Nissan styled bodywork.... With permission and maybe a little assistance from Nissan.

A strong Nissan performance in IMSA would certainly help in the US after the massive Super Bowl ad followed by failed P1...

It would also open the door for teams who wish to run a GTR in GTD, so maybe not a bad move on Nissan's part.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 12:52 (Ref:3673661)   #1242
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or even a GTLM with the GTR GT3 + Waivers.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 16:05 (Ref:3673726)   #1243
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
The fact that nobody has heard anything on this until the announcement tells me Nissan is not involved beyond giving them permission to use their equipment - it's nigh on impossible to keep plans for factory-backed programs secret.
Ehhh.... I think there are people that know. A specific journalist in general told me to "not worry about it" in quite cheeky fashion...

Who knows, but, I think there is more to the story.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 16:27 (Ref:3673733)   #1244
Makaze
Racer

Makaze has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
With every second now it looks like the Ganassi to Honda move is true.

That might be why ESM is not with HPD in 2017.

Ganassi running Acura/HPD DPi program in 2018?
Old 18 Sep 2016, 17:46 (Ref:3673746)   #1245
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Not a chance.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 17:48 (Ref:3673747)   #1246
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who was Penske rumoured to be in conversation with?

Old 18 Sep 2016, 18:13 (Ref:3673750)   #1247
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Ehhh.... I think there are people that know. A specific journalist in general told me to "not worry about it" in quite cheeky fashion...

Who knows, but, I think there is more to the story.
Feels like it's an after the season announcement with the Nissan guy saying nothing to announce now other than the Australian program. Wouldn't be surprised it they (Nissan) are one of the programs IMSA has said is working but probably not ready for Daytona/Sebring. What IMSA lets them do with the engine until is to be seen but if they are conscientiously working toward a DPi package I can see some leeway granted.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 19:31 (Ref:3673768)   #1248
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Feels like it's an after the season announcement with the Nissan guy saying nothing to announce now other than the Australian program. Wouldn't be surprised it they (Nissan) are one of the programs IMSA has said is working but probably not ready for Daytona/Sebring. What IMSA lets them do with the engine until is to be seen but if they are conscientiously working toward a DPi package I can see some leeway granted.
That's how I see it. No announcement, yet. But it can happen. It may not be ready yet. Wasn't Ligier talking about going to P1 but wanted a manufacturer involved?
Old 18 Sep 2016, 19:32 (Ref:3673769)   #1249
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Who was Penske rumoured to be in conversation with?
Everybody.
Old 19 Sep 2016, 02:52 (Ref:3673927)   #1250
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I still think they are getting a free-pass, based on the promise of increased involvement in 2018.
I agree with SK. I also think no word from Nissan almost makes it more likely. I mean we haven't even had GM or Mazda confirm the existence of their DP in any real sense yet. So why would Nissan who may be a few months (or a year) behind announce anything?