Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 May 2004, 22:06 (Ref:960941)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Williams' improvements for Barcelona...>

Just read a news article where Sam Micheal was stating that Williams have numerous new mechanical and areo parts for the Barcelona race.
I wonder if it will be enough to catch up to BAR?

What happened to that new revolutionary rear suspension they were developing?
Old 5 May 2004, 02:51 (Ref:961082)   #2
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Williams' improvements for Barcelona...>

Yes, it will. I hope.

Catch up BAR on Barcelona, catch up Ferrari on Monaco, then finish 1-2 on Nurburgring. Just like last year.

I hope.
Old 5 May 2004, 16:17 (Ref:961648)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They didn't catch anybody at Barcelona last year....it was a low point!
Old 5 May 2004, 17:23 (Ref:961692)   #4
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They can improve their lot radically by side-lining the sour-faced oaf in the second car.
Old 5 May 2004, 19:05 (Ref:961819)   #5
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
They can improve their lot radically by side-lining the sour-faced oaf in the second car.
Button?!?!?!?

Old 5 May 2004, 19:50 (Ref:961873)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Button drives for Williams? :confused:
Old 5 May 2004, 20:04 (Ref:961890)   #7
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams target should not be to catch BAR, it should be to catch Ferrari!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 5 May 2004, 20:10 (Ref:961899)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They need to catch BAR first before they catch those lurid red cars.
Old 5 May 2004, 20:58 (Ref:961943)   #9
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Button is neither sour-faced nor an oaf (nor is a number two driver, nor drives for Williams). Even when Button was doing badly he conducted himself very professionally. I'm afraid the number two driver in question (and he really has been driving firmly second best for almost a year) is dragging his team down a bit - the rumours that he has already signed for Toyota seem to ring true to me now, judging by his lack of sharpness and motivation.
Old 6 May 2004, 01:14 (Ref:962136)   #10
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
williams improvements for barcelona?....well let's see, jeff gordon is going over for the weekend, maybe they have it in mind to hand a car to him and let him see if he can put it on pole, then hire gene as the second driver and then show the door to the 2 whining prima donnas that occupy the seats right now.....that would be an improvement...
Old 6 May 2004, 01:42 (Ref:962145)   #11
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Flogging a dead horse comes to mind,even if they strap a rocket on it they aren't going to catch the prancing horses.
Old 6 May 2004, 02:10 (Ref:962157)   #12
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams is very close to being the fast car at the track. The new rear suspension and a revised motor is in the works. Also dumping a couple of drivers and getting someone who wants to win and not wine would help
Old 6 May 2004, 08:31 (Ref:962280)   #13
Glen
Veteran

To take this question the way it was meant (ie in an engineering sense) we should remember that williams remain a top team and it may well be the case that the difference that they need to make up is not at all impossible to make. Last year they improved their car to quite a radical degree over the course of the season and there is no reason why they coudn't do that agin - especially given that the design is quite radical and new, so there may be quite big areas for them to focus on to find extra performance.

Renault and BAR are going to be quite strong though. Good race in prospect.
Old 6 May 2004, 09:49 (Ref:962338)   #14
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saying that they have new parts seems to ignore that other teams will do too.
The absolute improvement is normally more than likely, but we got to talk about the relative one.
The question should be: will FW improve more than Ferrari and BAR?
Will these new parts pay enough?
Old 6 May 2004, 10:13 (Ref:962349)   #15
Glen
Veteran

Making the distinction between a car with a new concept and several radically different features and one which is an incremental iteration of an established design is not ignoring the fact that other teams will have new parts also. Having said that the Renault and the BAR are also both quite innovative - and Ferrari take cutting-edge so much for granted that we almost forget how damn exciting their car is from and engineering point of view.
Old 6 May 2004, 11:40 (Ref:962425)   #16
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally posted by shiny side up!
Button?!?!?!?

The was there to indicate jest...

Of course Button does not drive for Williams. And of course, he is not the #2 driver for BAR. But he does appear (as of Imola) to have the second strongest chance of winning on the grid at this moment... thus the 'second car' in the running order...

Oi vey, I guess a made a pretty ty attempt at humour if I'm the only one who understood myself, sorry!
Old 6 May 2004, 12:27 (Ref:962482)   #17
Glen
Veteran

Hey shiny - don't stress... I got it, I just thought I'd give a bit back. I guess I ought to use smileys.
Old 6 May 2004, 14:05 (Ref:962573)   #18
zetta
Racer

zetta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ysofast
Williams is very close to being the fast car at the track. The new rear suspension and a revised motor is in the works. Also dumping a couple of drivers and getting someone who wants to win and not wine would help
Williams would need a lot of development if they want to catch Ferrari. I don't think they can make it this season. But I think they are very close to BAR, and they will catch and surpass them eventually.

As to the drivers, I don't think it's fair to blame Montoya for the poor performance of the team. He seems to be doing a pretty good job with what he has, and would be ahead of Button if his car had not broken down at Bahrain. Ralf on the other hand is letting the team down, and if his dismall performance continues, he should be replaced. It's like he has lost the spirit and is not even trying anymore.
Old 6 May 2004, 15:04 (Ref:962617)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by zetta
As to the drivers, I don't think it's fair to blame Montoya for the poor performance of the team.
Agreed, he is the only Williams driver to be taking the fight to Michael and Jenson.
Old 6 May 2004, 19:16 (Ref:962820)   #20
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
Yeah, I don't see much room to slag off Montoya at this point... he has given the Williams a good run thus far this year, and I think the whining is probably born of frustration as he watches the red cars get further ahead and the BARs starting to beat his ugly Willy, too.
Old 7 May 2004, 10:28 (Ref:963297)   #21
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah..it must feel sucky to do all he could/wanted, thinking he's so good, but see his fiercest rival just flying away into the distance... bad for the ego.

But compared to his teammate, he's done well...just strange really that both Williams are actually finding it hard to even match Button consistently.