Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 17 May 2004, 20:56 (Ref:973793)   #1
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Max 5 Series

Who or what are the Max 5 series, I see from the BARC website that they are some sort of sportscars but what???
Old 17 May 2004, 21:21 (Ref:973821)   #2
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only 5 of them allowed to race at any one time?
Old 17 May 2004, 21:28 (Ref:973833)   #3
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mazda MX5s - got a very good entry of 16 for their inaugural race at Pembrey at the weekend.
Old 17 May 2004, 21:30 (Ref:973835)   #4
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Sowman
Mazda MX5s - got a very good entry of 16 for their inaugural race at Pembrey at the weekend.
THAT many? Wow - impressive or what

How did they perform?
Old 18 May 2004, 05:42 (Ref:974019)   #5
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did they not run an MX5 series in the early 90s as well???
Old 18 May 2004, 09:40 (Ref:974152)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The regs are at the following link.
http://www.barc.net/PDFdocs2004/max5regs2004ver1.pdf

Looks to me like its based on the current model. That being the case I'm surprised it doesn't run in a "class" format because I thought there were a few different engine sizes.
Old 18 May 2004, 12:28 (Ref:974307)   #7
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw some of the Max 5 racing and it looked pretty good to me and very competitive
Old 18 May 2004, 14:03 (Ref:974405)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought it was the older cars actually. And yes Andy, they did run an MX-5 UK Cup in 1990/1ish which was a national championship.

And Sheila, why roll your eyes? 16 is a hugely impressive entry for the first race a brand new series - more than, for example Locosts which regularly needs qualification races now.
Old 18 May 2004, 16:27 (Ref:974545)   #9
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look at http://www.max5racing.com/
Old 18 May 2004, 21:03 (Ref:974795)   #10
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:

And Sheila, why roll your eyes? 16 is a hugely impressive entry for the first race a brand new series - more than, for example Locosts which regularly needs qualification races now.
Because Ian, I recall that there was talk of not allowing any new championships with less than 20 odd entrants.

Hopefully there will be more of them out later in the season otherwise people will get bored if there are only a few of them each time.
Old 18 May 2004, 21:27 (Ref:974816)   #11
Ian Sowman
Veteran

It isn't a championship Sheila as far as I know. It is a series.
Old 18 May 2004, 21:50 (Ref:974854)   #12
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
It isn't a championship Sheila as far as I know. It is a series.
Stop being pedantic, you know perfectly well what I mean

anyway I'm an old person I'm allowed to make mistakes
Old 19 May 2004, 08:38 (Ref:975200)   #13
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Taken from the above website:

The race series is based upon the original MX5 Championship run by Mazda in the UK in 1990/91 & the American spec Miata MX 5 Championship, which is hugely successful and the fastest growing form of motorsport in the U.S. We would like to see grids as large in the UK as they are in the states, as this will add to the challenge on the track and also the spectacle

The MaX5 race series using the Mk1 1600cc Mazda MX5 is run on the principle that close racing is exiting racing, the race series is aimed at drivers both new and old, male and female who want there racing to be fun, in a cost effective & well organized race series. If we have sufficient woman Drivers in the race series we will be able to introduce a separate points system for female & male classes. Therefore giving class prizes (winners)

--

Interesting to see two class categories by sex - has this ever been tried elsewhere?
Old 19 May 2004, 08:54 (Ref:975209)   #14
Ian Sowman
Veteran

I think various championships have introduced separate ladies prizes in the past.

And Sheila, I wasn't being pedantic. The MSA's policy is on new championships only as far as I know - not series.
Old 19 May 2004, 09:48 (Ref:975246)   #15
Keith Wheeler
Rookie

Keith Wheeler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'The MSA's policy is on new championships......not series'.

And there is half the problem! Organising clubs continue to allow the introduction of new series, which don't need MSA approval, so that they can make a few extra bob in membership fees.
Result? Small grids, a poor 'race' experience for the competitors, a borefest for all who have to watch it.
Old 19 May 2004, 11:33 (Ref:975338)   #16
Ian Sowman
Veteran

This is at least a championship that has reasonable potential - but I would have thought that if it doesn't it could join up with the MR2 series that someone has been trying to get off the ground.
Old 19 May 2004, 19:27 (Ref:975778)   #17
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This is at least a championship that has reasonable potential - but I would have thought that if it doesn't it could join up with the MR2 series that someone has been trying to get off the ground.

Don't you mean a "series that has reasonable potential".
Old 19 May 2004, 19:41 (Ref:975792)   #18
Ian Sowman
Veteran

I just have every confidence it will be a championship one day!
Old 23 May 2004, 07:26 (Ref:979416)   #19
MaX5Webie
Rookie

MaX5Webie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the interest. Not enough lady drivers signed up to give a separate gender class. So anybody fancy racing a Mazda MX5
Old 23 May 2004, 18:32 (Ref:980260)   #20
ChironWSC
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcester UK
ChironWSC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only 6 cars on the entry list for Snet 31st May. 4 of those are from the same team hope that team doesnt move on!!!! What a mess we have in UK motorsport why oh why do the MSA keep letting more C**p Championships or Series (What ever you want to call them) startup. What motorsport needs is more Spectators through the gates what chance do we have with this sort of championship absolutly no spectator appeal at all. If this championship doesnt get going don't join them up with the MR2 series just scrap both series it will be a good start to clearing out some of the Championships/Series in the UK. There are some really great Championships out there that are really struggling for numbers because the race drivers in the country are spead out to thin or doing TRACK DAYS yawn!!!! These are championships that are not expensive to be part of, championships that the spectators love, Championships with cars in that the kids go WOW at when they see them. Championships with cars that look like sound like and are proper race cars!!! I just wish the person/persons responsible for letting all these new series start up would come to these Forums but truth is they are not real Motorsport enthusiasts it is just a job to them. What a great future UK motorsport has!!! I thought this country was the Motorsport Capital of the world? It is but only just
Sorry, Rant over but i think this sort of thing needs to be said just a shame the right people aren't listening.

Last edited by ChironWSC; 23 May 2004 at 18:36.
Old 27 May 2004, 18:32 (Ref:985344)   #21
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here here!

Thundersaloons + Thundersports + F5000

V8 bias? me? naaaahhhh! ;-)

Rob.
Old 27 May 2004, 19:13 (Ref:985380)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hope this one takes off. I think the MX-5 would be a fun car to race. If people want to race them then good luck to them.

I could pinch my Mum's! Actually when I've driven that I have been impressed with the handling. Lovely.

Last edited by Adam43; 27 May 2004 at 19:14.