Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jun 2004, 18:52 (Ref:999979)   #1
graves
Racer

England
Sheffield UK
graves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BAR to beat Ferrari in Canada?

Taku thinks that BAR have their best chance yet to beat Ferrari in Montreal. Wotcha think?
Old 10 Jun 2004, 18:54 (Ref:999985)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a power circuit.

Honda and Ferrari are evenly matched on the horsepower front.

If the cards fall the right way, it's possible - but don't bet the house on it.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 19:02 (Ref:999995)   #3
300kph
Racer

300kph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They surely have that power and it is interesting how these two drivers will interpret that kerb around the wall...
Old 10 Jun 2004, 19:05 (Ref:999999)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that's what they said in Monaco, and they were right - sort of.

Then again, Michael hasn't won this race 6 times, 5 of them for Ferrari, by chance. I can see BAR and Williams being strong challengers, and should be faster than Rubens, but I still think Michael's the man to beat.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 19:06 (Ref:1000001)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Ferrari have the pace on any given circuit!! just depends on how close the rivals can get....
Old 10 Jun 2004, 19:13 (Ref:1000004)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, according to Buttonsport (sorry, Autosport) BAR have made a breakthrough with setup which will improve their race consistency.

Honda are bringing a new engine this weekend too. It looks good.....but I secretly want Button to win his first GP at Silverstone.

So I'm rooting for Taku this weekend!
Old 10 Jun 2004, 19:22 (Ref:1000013)   #7
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Honda are bringing a new engine this weekend too. It looks good.....but I secretly want Button to win his first GP at Silverstone.
You selfish ******* you want to boast that you attended Jenson's first win!!!
i hope the Silverstone GP is red-wash so you dont have any glory! (kidding) (im rooting for Jenson to win the Canadian and British GP)!
Old 10 Jun 2004, 19:38 (Ref:1000028)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ralf fan.....you got my number!
Old 10 Jun 2004, 20:33 (Ref:1000114)   #9
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
I can see BAR and Williams being strong challengers, and should be faster than Rubens, but I still think Michael's the man to beat.
I can't see how Williams are going to challenge. They haven't been able to challenge BAR in the last few races let alone Ferrari.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 20:59 (Ref:1000164)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The BMW engine is perfect for the job though, and it's always been one of Ralf's best tracks. Also, Renault will be less competitive thanks to their engines lacking power.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 21:08 (Ref:1000175)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being one of the founding fathers of the BAR bandwagon club I can only wish they would get their first win here. However, after Australia, I gave up on anyone beating MS in a straight fight. With luck they can do it. Not in a straight fight, unless that motor is a God send.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 21:10 (Ref:1000180)   #12
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
knowlsey what Ralf Fan said.
Anything is possible and both BAR and Ferrari will fight it out at the front.Williams the Mac and Webber will fight for the minor spots.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 10 Jun 2004 at 21:11.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 21:27 (Ref:1000193)   #13
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: BAR to beat Ferrari in Canada?

doh....

Last edited by dcp2685; 10 Jun 2004 at 21:31.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 21:30 (Ref:1000198)   #14
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: BAR to beat Ferrari in Canada?

Quote:
Originally posted by graves
Taku thinks that BAR have their best chance yet to beat Ferrari in Montreal. Wotcha think?
I hope so. However i think it's irrelevant on the grand scheme of things. Unless button can knock off 8 straight and micheal has 7 dnf's. Not going to happen unfortunately.

My hope is Mr. Webber doesn't have the lousy race i think he's doomed this weekend. Even if he does finish...i think Jaguar will be #7 on the grid this weekend.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 21:54 (Ref:1000216)   #15
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: BAR to beat Ferrari in Canada?

Quote:
Originally posted by dcp2685
I hope so. However i think it's irrelevant on the grand scheme of things. Unless button can knock off 8 straight and micheal has 7 dnf's. Not going to happen unfortunately.

My hope is Mr. Webber doesn't have the lousy race i think he's doomed this weekend. Even if he does finish...i think Jaguar will be #7 on the grid this weekend.
I hope not but both he and Jag are optimistic this weekend.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 22:11 (Ref:1000232)   #16
silvervsix
Racer

silvervsix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No he can't beat micheal for speed if he got some luck maybe. As for Webber a 6 or 7 would be a good result but only likley to happen if the car lastly that long which is a big if.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 03:21 (Ref:1000369)   #17
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any Honda peeps out there may want to check this little bit of info.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=243506

There should be a lot more to come. Also it seems Honda has decided not to go so much for more power but instead for reliability. A smart move in my estimation. Interesting about Ant car etc. Short but very informative.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 07:29 (Ref:1000456)   #18
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO what happened last year showed that, despite being a power circuit, Canada GP demands good tactics: last year Williams were way faster than Ferrari, but we all know how it all went.

From this point of view, I reckon that Ferrari are still a bit better than the rest, thus, apart fron unpredictable events, MS is still my favourite.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 07:45 (Ref:1000472)   #19
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree that overall MS and Ferrari are the best team over the course of a race. The have the race performance so tuned, that even if MS isn't first off the line, they will still have the strategy to win the race.

BAR are doing a great job, but it's their first year running at the front and subsequently the first time their tactics are tested against Ross Brawn.

I was reading a Q&A list with Martin Brundle and he was saying that in the course of a race Michael Schumacher is having data and information fed to him all the time, on other drivers pitstops, their strategies, relative gaps, etc. This is how he and Ross make the right call, and deliver the quick laps at the crucial time.

If BAR are to win they will need to have the drivers totally on it around the pitstop windows, that is where it will be won and lost - presuming the protagnists are all still running!
Old 11 Jun 2004, 08:17 (Ref:1000498)   #20
D-bass
Rookie

D-bass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see Bar win this weekend; I think it would be good for everyone all-round to see Ferrari loss again.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 08:26 (Ref:1000505)   #21
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lots of full throttle, lots of big stops - a bit like Imola and very much the kind of circuit that suits the BAR. Could happen but ,as everyone has pointed out, to win you not only have to beat the Ferrari (which Jenson has done this year in beating Rubens) but also you have to beat Michael.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 08:27 (Ref:1000507)   #22
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup, BAR have chance to beat Ferrari in Montreal. Even Michael has tipped BAR-Honda to be his strongest opposition in Canadian Grand Prix.

He said that Montreal's similarities to Imola should play into BAR's hands, as Jenson Button set pole position in May's San Marino Grand Prix there and led the opening stint of the race.

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=27778&s=5
Old 11 Jun 2004, 08:38 (Ref:1000514)   #23
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Everyone has a "chance"

On paper, Ferrari and BAR seem to be the strongest challenger (Biggest "chance").

Both cars are capable of good handling, both cars have good braking systems, both teams have good drivers, and importantly, both cars use very good engines.

I don't think there is any area in which BAR is actually better than Ferrari at this time, but Ferrari still have a few areas which are stronger than BAR. Hence, theoretically it is slightly in Ferrari's favour.

But then again, a little luck may swing things either way. So it's hard to say for sure
Old 11 Jun 2004, 10:27 (Ref:1000598)   #24
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I expect it to be another Ferrari vs BAR battle. It's a shame Renault lack horsepower, as both drivers would be up there if they had the engine to do it...
Old 11 Jun 2004, 10:43 (Ref:1000609)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Michelin vs Bridgestone.... depends on the weather, and if the boys at Honda build Jenson Sato-spec motors, or the slightly slower (yet more reliable) Button-spec units
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods