Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Jun 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1332915)   #1
ClearHooter
Rookie

United States
Shelby NC USA
ClearHooter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lola-MG

Congrats to the Lola-MG team. Though the only thing I got to see of the car was it getting lapped by a LMP1 car and it's off road trip; it seems they put forth a great effort. They also had a couple of combacks from adversity. I'd of like to have seen more of their battle.

I've had a MG "Fidget" 35 years and over 500,000 miles of HARD driving. I was glad to see the octagon used once more.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 12:17 (Ref:1334431)   #2
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many class wins have there been for bankrupt manufacturers? Can't have been too many...
Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1334683)   #3
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, RML is a privateer team, not the Lola-MG team...

And if I recall, I believe the MG is actually a rebadged Judd. But I guess they get something from MG for that?
Old 20 Jun 2005, 18:55 (Ref:1334927)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Well, RML is a privateer team, not the Lola-MG team...

And if I recall, I believe the MG is actually a rebadged Judd. But I guess they get something from MG for that?
The MG is a rebadged AER engine. They are only using the name MG and they got no money from MG.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1335013)   #5
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah thanks Fire! Knew it was a rebadged something. Interesting that they get no money for that. Why rebadge it at all?
Old 20 Jun 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1335037)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Ah thanks Fire! Knew it was a rebadged something. Interesting that they get no money for that. Why rebadge it at all?
Probably a MG powered car is (or was? ) more interesting for sponsors then just an AER powered car.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1335082)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am over the moon with result, after everything that has happen at MG/Rover over the last few months, I just think this is a mega result. Well done to everybody involved.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 21:18 (Ref:1335111)   #8
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
How is this a mega result for MG/Rover when they were not behind it?

But I was very happy for RML. Very well run team and just a stunning racecar. And hats off to Lola and AER as well.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1335167)   #9
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
The MG is a rebadged AER engine. They are only using the name MG and they got no money from MG.
Actually, it IS a rebadged Judd engine... David Leslie definitely has the inside line on that one

Judd did the touring car engines and were asked to provide the new unit...

What did they get from MG???... like most, probably a stack of unpaid bills...
Old 20 Jun 2005, 22:07 (Ref:1335175)   #10
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another of those strange marketing deals, like what they did with the Judd GV4. That never worked, either.

BTW good work at Le Mans Martin, as always.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 23:09 (Ref:1335261)   #11
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
Another of those strange marketing deals, like what they did with the Judd GV4. That never worked, either.

BTW good work at Le Mans Martin, as always.
Thanks... we enjoyed it a heap, as always !!

And they pay us for this stuff...
Old 20 Jun 2005, 23:21 (Ref:1335278)   #12
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
A dream gig if ever there was one.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 03:58 (Ref:1335428)   #13
ClearHooter
Rookie

United States
Shelby NC USA
I'd sure liked to have seen the car. MG, Lola, Judd, AER, Rover or what ever! The only time I caught an image of it was from what looked to be about 300yds through a telephoto right before it stuck the safety wall.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1336233)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Haven
Actually, it IS a rebadged Judd engine... David Leslie definitely has the inside line on that one

Judd did the touring car engines and were asked to provide the new unit...

What did they get from MG???... like most, probably a stack of unpaid bills...
I (and AER's website) thought AER has developed and builded the "MG" engines. Or are they based on a Judd engine and further developed by AER?
Old 21 Jun 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1336247)   #15
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The AERs are the turbo engines, badged as 'MG's' in the LMP675 days.

RML use a new Judd engine (I believe based on the cancelled Champ Car engine). RML put together a deal to badge the car/engine as an MG.

The AER turbos are known simply as AERs these days, with one exception,
Belmondo, who's engines are known as Fords.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 18:58 (Ref:1336307)   #16
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Ok, now I understand:
turbo MG --> AER
normal aspirated MG --> Judd

Sorry for my ignorance.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 23:46 (Ref:1336613)   #17
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
How is this a mega result for MG/Rover when they were not behind it?
I think there are a lot of british men sitting at home without a job at the moment, and I think it can make them a little bit proud, and give them a little bit of joy in these days. So from that point of view, despite the irony, I'd still call it a mega result for those chaps.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 23:48 (Ref:1336614)   #18
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Even when MG/Rover did not develop the motor or chassis?
Old 22 Jun 2005, 05:41 (Ref:1336774)   #19
ClearHooter
Rookie

United States
Shelby NC USA
If I ever wanted to hide something in a paper trail I now know where to go. That's about as confusing as a Bell South phone bill. Thanks for the explaination.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1337019)   #20
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Even when MG/Rover did not develop the motor or chassis?
Why not?
Old 22 Jun 2005, 22:21 (Ref:1337733)   #21
Thumper
Racer

Thumper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I try and throw some light on this conundrum. Firstly, the engine is most definitely a Judd-based V8. However, it is unique to the EX264, and is not used in RML's configuration by any other car or team, and is indeed badged as an MG XPower unit. Perhaps a little bit of artistic licence, but possibly warranted.

The chassis is based on the Lola B05/40, but once again, is unique to RML. After they (Mike Newton) had purchased the ex-works MG EX257's in 2003/4, they continued doing extensive development work on the cars. They campaigned the EX257 throughout 2004 with greater success than the works team had ever achieved. With the change in the regulations making the former 675 chassis uncompetitive in LMP1, RML viewed Lola's new B05/40 as an opportunity to continue and enhance the work they'd completed on the previous chassis. For that reason, the EX264 carries with it a vast proportion of the development and technology they'd completed on the older car, and with MG Rover's sanction (before the company's demise) it was fully homologated as a new MG chassis: the EX264.

Although visually similar to the Intersport and Chamberlain Lolas, under the skin the RML version is radically different. In many ways (that RML is not prepared to disclose) the EX264 is technically more advanced than the customer B05/40s, although I'm sure these teams will carry out further development of their own in due course. As for MG Rover's involvement - it was purely verbal, in as much as some assistance and advice came through in the early stages - and the manufacturer's closure has had, and will have, no effect on RML's on-going LMES campaign.

It is a sad fact, of course, that the last new racecar to bear the MG badge won its class at Le Mans too late to benefit the marque, but it adds significantly to a worthy heritage nonetheless.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 06:28 (Ref:1337955)   #22
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
The whole story of RML's win can be found free to view on www.dailysportscar.com
Old 23 Jun 2005, 07:00 (Ref:1337968)   #23
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
the last new racecar to bear the MG badge
...for the time being. Rover's fate is probably sealed now, but I don't see MG not continuing, under new ownership.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 08:36 (Ref:1338050)   #24
Thumper
Racer

Thumper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Cybers. Rumours doing the rounds at Le Mans suggested that the MGF may even go back into production relatively soon, perhaps with Russian backing. Anyone else know more about this?
Old 23 Jun 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1338231)   #25
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
MiG F.