Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 8 Dec 2005, 01:10 (Ref:1479308)   #1
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Jobs in Automotive / motorsport industry

I am a total petrol head who has been racing various categories of cars for some years and am full of useless knowledge about all sorts of mechanical contraptions from motorbikes to aircraft. I can be a reasonably creative writer, pretty handy behind the wheel, well travelled and have international licenses to drive or race everything from a skateboard to a helicopter (apart from large trucks).
At present, I work as a computer consultant but am desperate to get out of this and into a motorsport or automotive career. I am not bothered about earning great wads of cash, I just want to be working with things with engines instead of hard disks. Don't really want to be a car salesman, so I am looking for advice, contacts or recommendations for a future career in Asia, or possibly in Europe in a few years time.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 01:18 (Ref:1481457)   #2
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to college for 2 years studying advanced Mech Eng, followed by a year at Jim Russell/Tresham College studying Competition Vehicle Maintenance. Since finishing at Jim Russell in November 2001 I've sent well over 1000 CVs to race teams around the world, and have only managed to get work with one, part time, unpaid for a few months. I too love motorsport, but it's just stupidly difficult to get into. That said, once you have your foot in the door I've no doubt it becomes much easier to stay in. As it happens, the team that I was with had a driver from Hong Kong who was new to the UK, and with me being an army brat I was quick to help him were I could. We became friends and he introduced me to my current job. It's sales, which is hardly what I thought I'd be doing after 3 years of further ed, but my income is almost at a level where I'll be able to go racing as a driver. The "easy" way into a motorsport job is to find a friend with a few spare million and set up a team, that way you can increase grid sizes, and supply a few more job to the thousands of unemployed race mechanics out there!! Sorry if it's not the advice you wanted, but at least you're not the one who ****ed away 3 years training for a job you'd never get!
Old 11 Dec 2005, 03:50 (Ref:1481480)   #3
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Actually, I spent 5 years training for a job that I didn't want after I qualified, so I ended up in medical IT.
Don't have any friends with spare millions, sadly, although I religiously buy lotto tickets every week.
I'm glad you have got a foot in the door yourself though, thanks for the reply. Let me know if you need an Aussie office setting up.
Old 29 Dec 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1491583)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Guys, its a bum deal anyway to be honest. Any team boss will be sitting here looking at what you have written saying "thers another two mugs preperaed to work like slaves for a salarey and no overtime, at weekends for no extra" In very few industries can you get away with what the mototrsport industry gets away with!
And all for the loove of the sport apparently.
I have had a few jobs in the industry and would avoid it like the plague as a result, you are treated like dirt by most people and that more than outweighs the perks which are few between unless you are very lucky!
I would say design or compsosites are the best areas to be in. Then you are mainly office or factory based and dont travel to the races which is the rubbish bit. Why are the mechs always asleep in the pits do you think? It aint because its hot i tell you!
Maybe also getting into one of the supply chains might be good, yknow a gearbox manufacturer or engine builder summat lie that!
But i worked for a few media types, a race team and FOM, and they were all the worst jobs I have ever had. My apssion kept me going back, but now I am wise enough to know you get mugged for your passion
Old 29 Dec 2005, 23:44 (Ref:1491713)   #5
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can going to the races be the rubbish bit? Don't you love getting up at 6am, having to shower in a knackered out motorhome, find whatevers available for breakfast before starting work at 7am, having only finished at 1.30am that morning, working extra fast to stop your hands going numb from the constant cold... for 3 straight days only for your driver to throw it in the wall on the first corner? Hahaha!!
I definately agree with what you say about the way the mechanics are treated, the industry needs to take a look at the way it is run. If I can get my business built up to a certain level I will seriously consider starting a team in one of the single seater catagories, although if you know anyone with a spare £1m or so kicking about I could get on it sooner... teach the old school how it should be done!
Old 30 Dec 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1492031)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What i meant wsa that working in the industry took the fun out of the events, coz you get so used to just spectaating that having to steam around doing stuff kind of takes the interest out of the racing. I am no circuit racing fan htough, saw the lihgt many years ago!