Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Aug 2006, 22:19 (Ref:1683686)   #1
spectator22
Racer

spectator22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Push to Pass in V8s

MN today says V8SA is seriously looking at a version of "Push to Pass" for V8s to further spice up the racing. Not a bad idea I think,, along with a decent points system it should increase the genuine passing opportunities at the front. How would they do it for V8s? Rev limit increase would seem most logical.
Old 15 Aug 2006, 23:03 (Ref:1683718)   #2
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they just don't get it do they......
Old 15 Aug 2006, 23:20 (Ref:1683724)   #3
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator22
How would they do it for V8s? Rev limit increase would seem most logical.
just as MNews says, the revs can be increased by X amount for a period of Y per race, with the driver being able to pick when
Old 15 Aug 2006, 23:33 (Ref:1683729)   #4
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think its a brilliant idea... It may have some teething problems (don't know what though) and that, along with a decent points system would be brilliant.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 15 Aug 2006, 23:46 (Ref:1683736)   #5
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
I think its a brilliant idea... It may have some teething problems (don't know what though) and that, along with a decent points system would be brilliant.
couldn't agree more.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 00:13 (Ref:1683747)   #6
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The category doesn't need gimmicks like this to make it interesting - the Skaife's and Lowndes's of this world only need half a reason to race hard - put decent points in play and watch it unfold - that's it, nothing more and nothing less.

I don't like it.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 00:34 (Ref:1683756)   #7
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRabbit
The category doesn't need gimmicks like this to make it interesting - the Skaife's and Lowndes's of this world only need half a reason to race hard - put decent points in play and watch it unfold - that's it, nothing more and nothing less.

I don't like it.
Absolutely got it in one.

Maybe they're just putting out feelers to get an idea of what the fans think. I hope.

Please, before you start saying its a good idea have a look at the other series that implement it. Guess what happens when an overtaking driver presses the button? The other driver presses it. Wow thats exciting. Think it through. The only thing more contrived is the "lucky dog".
Old 16 Aug 2006, 00:57 (Ref:1683767)   #8
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will it work though? In the only cases i know of where it is implemented that it works well is with turbo charged engines. In that case it is increased boost that allows the overtaking. How well it will work just on increased revs is not known, especially in big heavy cars and on most of the tracks they run on.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 01:00 (Ref:1683769)   #9
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Like I said it would have teething problems... Don't the Champ Cars get 50 extra horsepower for a total of 60 seconds?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 16 Aug 2006, 01:22 (Ref:1683778)   #10
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
SRabbit is spot on. The only ideas worth exploring out of Champ Cars is having two different tyre compounds IMO and one race per round instead of three short races with contrived pitstops and zero pit strategy.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 01:23 (Ref:1683779)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
The only thing more contrived is the "lucky dog".
Or reverse grids.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 02:11 (Ref:1683796)   #12
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Please, before you start saying its a good idea have a look at the other series that implement it.
It works in CCWS.
Quote:
The only thing more contrived is the "lucky dog".
Not really..the "Lucky Dog" is used to adjust the unfair extra laps down you can go in an oval race, if you have to pit under green.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 02:50 (Ref:1683810)   #13
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
While I do like the idea of push to pass in V8's, I hate how V8SA can never implement their own strategies in V8 Supercars to make it more exciting. The only real idea they've had is to introduce CPSs, which was great, sure, but nowadays aren't they getting just a little annoying?

I think to make V8 Supercars truly successful, all the main members of V8SA need to all sit down and discuss ideas instead of just watching other sports and saying 'Hey lets copy their idea.'
Old 16 Aug 2006, 03:08 (Ref:1683817)   #14
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't stand this sort of contrived entertainment.

Technically, how will it work, the cars aren't turbo charged, so we can't just wind up the boost ala CCWS. The suggestion of increasing the rev limit could be a slippery slope. How hard would it be to "modify" your ECU so that you secretly got a longer high rev period than the rules allow.

Further, if the increased revs were beyond what they are allowed now, expect to see plenty of expensive external combustion engines until they spend more money getting them to handle the higher revs. If the rev limit was changed to less than 7,500 and the temporary boosted limit was 7,500, then they'll probably spend more money developing new cam profiles etc.

Seems like a very expensive way to boost "the show".
Old 16 Aug 2006, 03:25 (Ref:1683821)   #15
pete55
Veteran

Maybe the reduced aero will end up being the best and most economical idea.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 05:05 (Ref:1683840)   #16
Joe5619
Veteran

Joe5619 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
For once I agree with you!!!

I'd LOVE to see all the fancy aero gone & see the cars slipping & sliding like the good old days. It would really sort the men from the boys!! (I've been watching an old bathurt 1987 tape, watching a very young Seto sliding all over the shop in a no aeroed Nissan)

With regards to the "Push to Pass", I'm not totally against the idea. But at the same time, I'm not sure how sussusfully it would be?? Can only try I guess.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 05:32 (Ref:1683845)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We just get rid of one load of rubbish (reverse grids) and they think about introducing some more contrived garbage (push to pass buttons)

I thought overtaking was supposed to be a skill!
Old 16 Aug 2006, 05:39 (Ref:1683847)   #18
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like push to pass in champcar. It certainly made for an interesting race last sunday.

I think it might be a good idea in V8's for all the same reasons it works in champcar.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 05:43 (Ref:1683850)   #19
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is exciting though about one driver overtaking another because they push a button which gives them more horsepower, where is the skill in that?

Isn't overtaking a skill involving the likes of outbraking another driver, getting a better run onto a straight, getting a tow etc.....any grandmother could push a button to overtake someone.

Whether it's Formula Palmer Audi, ChampCar World Series or V8Supercars, the 'push to pass button' is laughable in my opinion.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 05:47 (Ref:1683854)   #20
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
It needs some more thought doesn't it...
Old 16 Aug 2006, 07:02 (Ref:1683878)   #21
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
For once I agree with you!!!

I'd LOVE to see all the fancy aero gone & see the cars slipping & sliding like the good old days. It would really sort the men from the boys!! (I've been watching an old bathurt 1987 tape, watching a very young Seto sliding all over the shop in a no aeroed Nissan)

With regards to the "Push to Pass", I'm not totally against the idea. But at the same time, I'm not sure how sussusfully it would be?? Can only try I guess.
You can't have a 1500 kg car doing 300 through the Chase without any aero.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 07:05 (Ref:1683880)   #22
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
It works in CCWS.

Not really..the "Lucky Dog" is used to adjust the unfair extra laps down you can go in an oval race, if you have to pit under green.
Can you explain whats unfair about that?

And Push to Pass does not "work" anywhere. "Skill to Pass" is the only way that works.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 07:27 (Ref:1683887)   #23
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
(I've been watching an old bathurt 1987 tape, watching a very young Seto sliding all over the shop in a no aeroed Nissan)
That would be because he was on slick tyres on a wet track in a shockingly bad car.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 07:29 (Ref:1683889)   #24
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
Old 16 Aug 2006, 07:35 (Ref:1683895)   #25
pete55
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
That would be because he was on slick tyres on a wet track in a shockingly bad car.
He was at one stage, correct. But the cars in those days moved around a lot more than they do now. The Skylines and Sierras heaps of power then and were using narrower tyres than the V8 Supercars making them difficult to drive. If you can get hold of a video Chatters you should watch Seton and Brock across the top of the mountain.