Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jun 2003, 10:05 (Ref:633953)   #1
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are Da Matta / Panis really that much better?

Now that we are mid-season, you have to wonder whether Da Matta and Panis are that much better than McNish and Salo.

I say a big no, and feel sorry for Allan losing his seat for what seems now to be no good reason.

Toyota got it wrong!

Wat-d'yu-fink?

Last edited by Hugh Jarce; 17 Jun 2003 at 10:05.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 10:17 (Ref:633963)   #2
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe they are better than Salo & McNish & i said when they got the boot that the answer wasn't sacking the drivers they had to look in to how the team was run. I just wonder how many drivers they'll sack before the penny finally drops that the team is poorly run.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 10:20 (Ref:633967)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite simply Toyota doesn't know how to run a team. Building a F2002 clone and getting 2 new drivers won't get you on the podium, fellas. da Matta and Panis are fine drivers, but they really need to work on the car. With their resources, they're doing pretty badly.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 10:54 (Ref:633998)   #4
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panis is hampered by bad luck, but if I had to choose between Panis and Salo, I´d go with Panis.

If I had to choose between DaMatta and McNish, I´d choose DaMatta any day.

So, I´d agree with Toyota.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 11:20 (Ref:634024)   #5
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sure that Panis and da Matta are both better than Salo and McNish. Problem is that the equipment they're driving isn't much better than last year, which makes the decision to hire better drivers a bit suspect. Nevertheless, as a team, they've improved somewhat and I'm really happy to see da Matta in F1. Easily the most impressive newbie in my book, especially considering he's the only one without Friday testing.

Is McNish employed by Renault or ITV these days? He seem to spend more time talking to an ITV camera than driving. Which is fine by me; he seems like a nice chap.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 11:29 (Ref:634035)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I think that they're not doing any better. Although we'll never know of course, but it would have been interesting to see how Mika Salo and Allan McNish would have gone this year.

I wonder if the 2 current drivers will be retained for 2004?
Old 17 Jun 2003, 11:35 (Ref:634040)   #7
Brandy_snap
Racer

Brandy_snap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that the current drivers will be retained, Panis is a great driver with tonnes of experience, and Da matta is only a rookie in F1, however, they should be given another chance as the Toyota isn't performing it should.

Alonso for 2004 WDC! - perhaps not
Old 17 Jun 2003, 11:42 (Ref:634052)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Salo was a Blow-hard and had a bad attitude. Compared to Panis and his great work ethic and easy demeanor, Salo was doing the team no favors. I would question the decision to have sacked McNish though, as the adavantage of some measure of continuity was lost. However, Panis is doing better than the results would suggest-he's still quick and drives a sound race. De Matta has proven to be quick as well and I anticipate real improvement as the season progresses. The car is clearly faster than it was last year and if it gains some reliability, will move up the standings.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 11:50 (Ref:634069)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think they've got themselves better drivers this year, and Panis can certainly contribute more in testing and development than Salo, and Da Matta is a promising rookie who's already proved himself, considering the ack of Friday testing he's been majestic, and has longer to go in his career than McNish.

However, Toyota's overall philosophy is wrong. A team needs stability to acheive anything - look how long the nucleuses at Ferrari, McLaren and Williams ahve been together. Jagaur made the same mistake of constantly chopping and changing the staff, and that's impeded their performance up until now, despite their vast funding. BAR and Jaguar have improved greatly this year, and that's showed Toyota up.

Unless a real top driver like DC becomes available, I think Toyota should keep what they've got now. If they did hire a topline driver, the decision of who to drop would be tough; Da Matta has showed real potential, but Panis' development skill is vital - DC would admit that he contributed much more on that in 2000 at McLaren.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 12:13 (Ref:634105)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree with EERO. They had improved, and both drivers are doing a great job. It's no the case to question if the previous pair was better than the current, but how much the team has gained with the changes.

Last edited by Bononi; 17 Jun 2003 at 12:21.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 12:29 (Ref:634128)   #11
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't believe some are STILL trying to say mcnish desrved to stay!!???
Old 17 Jun 2003, 12:36 (Ref:634143)   #12
MrSal
Racer

MrSal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panis, McNish, Da Matta and Salo. All much of a muchness. I can't see the point in changing 2 average drivers with 2 average drivers.
Toyota might as well have stuck with last years drivers.Continuity may have proved to be an advantage.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 13:13 (Ref:634226)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Toyota have got it completely correct. Panis is a fine development driver, but has just had awful luck all year. da Matta has proven to be a quick and reliable driver and I think Toyota will continue with him at least next year.

I agree with comments that continuity may have been a better option for Toyota, but I would not have kept Salo in any case while McNish just wasn't good enough.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 13:30 (Ref:634277)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's all looking rather like the Ferrari of old. Good. I resent Toyota since they got rid of McNish so unceremoniously. And Salo, although I don't think he was particularly motivated anyways, due to the politics....