Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Oct 2004, 19:06 (Ref:1117271)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ollie Panis

SO Ollie is starting his final GP in Japan... howd you rate him?
he seems to be part of the furniture in f1... either testing or with a driving role year in year out since he joined...
Obviuosly his finest hour was the victory at Monaco 96... a crazy race but nonetheless a win is a win..

all in all a fast driver with one of those nice guy attitudes... he was no mug starting 157 GP's and obviously is rated highly by those who took him on...

BTW this also will make MS the oldest driver on the grid.... Michelle is the Grandpa of the grid...
Old 6 Oct 2004, 19:10 (Ref:1117273)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Ollie Panis

Who is replacing him for Brazil?

And has Trulli replaced Zonta?

Or is it Zonta and Trulli what is the line up?

:confused:
Old 6 Oct 2004, 19:14 (Ref:1117278)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Panis and Trulli for Japan
ZOnta and Trulli for Brazil
Old 6 Oct 2004, 19:20 (Ref:1117283)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Solid driver. And who could forget his Monaco win and his flying start to 1997.

I think his best aspect was his personality.....easy going, friendly. He'll be missed.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 20:17 (Ref:1117327)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He'll be missed, but he's had a good career and it is the right time to be retiring.

He had his day of days in Monaco - most drivers don't ever get near a win anywhere.

He could have had more wins, I think, if it hadn't been for his crash in Canada.

But thanks for the memories, Olivier.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 21:19 (Ref:1117406)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a shame, 1997. He could have finished well up the standings that year and after that it was quite difficult to repeat the success as Prost was less and less competitive. And the BAR and Toyota stints haven't reported the results he deserved.

By the way, I think 2005 will be the first year since the 60's (can't recall the last year) without a French driver on the grid. Who would have thought that when Depailler, Laffite, Jabouille, Prost, Tambay, Arnoux et al raced?
Old 6 Oct 2004, 21:46 (Ref:1117442)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We may see Franck Montagny in a Minardi.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 23:53 (Ref:1117522)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think it's 1964, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Panis. Hmmm. As fast as Hakkinen and Coulthard? The testing at McLaren suggested it was possible. But who can know? 1997 was the disaster - if it hadn't have been for Canada... But I'm sorry he's going. I still wonder - do Toyota know or fear something about Ralf that we don't? Maybe Panis will return. But, if not, adieu, mon ami.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 06:15 (Ref:1117692)   #9
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very good driver, whose career was irremediably damaged from that nasty accident in Canada.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 07:53 (Ref:1117759)   #10
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good, solid driver right from the start. His first year in F1 saw him finish 16 out of the 17 races which was rather impressive for a rookie driver.

The start of 1997 was extremely good - would Prost still be going if Olivier hadn't had that awful accident in Canada? The pace he'd showed up until that point indicated that another race win on merit was not far away.

The crash in Canada left him with ankle to knee places in both legs for 18 months - who knows what a further crash would have done to him and to get back behind the wheel was impressive.

His year at McLaren shook a lot of people up and transformed F1 to a certain extent. No longer did teams look towards young inexperienced drivers for test roles - now there are quite a few former F1 drivers with experience carrying out the crucial testing jobs.

He's a very friendly person too. I will miss him a lot from F1 but I'm glad to see that he'll still be in a testing role next season.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 08:53 (Ref:1117791)   #11
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whenever i watched Panis i have always wondered what may have been except for that accident in '97, i believe he has far more talent than his solitary victory indicates.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 10:48 (Ref:1117872)   #12
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was it Jacques Laffitte who said that Schumacher and Panis were the most impressive through the Swimming Pool section at Monaco in 1997? He'd have probably won in Argentina that year, as well as Spain. But ever since those 2 horrible years at Prost ( 1998-1999 ) he seemed to lose something and everyone forgot about him. Since then, he's probably been seen as a safe pair of hands, but not much else.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 12:27 (Ref:1117969)   #13
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He had the advantage of the Bridgestone tyres in 1997, but still had an exceptional year until his Montreal crash. I seem to recall that in his first test at Magny Cours after the crash, he set a time quick enough for pole for the '97 French GP! He always comes across as a decent bloke as well.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 12:28 (Ref:1117973)   #14
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
solid driver .. reliable. .

Ciao Marco
Old 7 Oct 2004, 13:01 (Ref:1118004)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Definitely one of the 'nice guys' of motor racing, and a fast, smart and capable driver as well. Not one of the greatest by any means, but plenty of worse drivers have won races. Looking at his pace at McLaren I suspect he fully recovered,e ventually, from Canada, but the career momentum was gone.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 13:17 (Ref:1118016)   #16
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of our all time favorite drivers. A good all-arounder. The Mrs. & I will miss him.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 13:54 (Ref:1118035)   #17
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Will he have any interest in racing elsewhere, I wonder? La Sarthe, perhaps?
Old 7 Oct 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1118063)   #18
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
He made enough money, 4 him and for his family to live the rest of their lives in peace! God speed, O.Panis! God bless u!
Old 7 Oct 2004, 14:29 (Ref:1118064)   #19
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hope we will see u in LeMans or DTM!!!!
Old 7 Oct 2004, 14:54 (Ref:1118086)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

I think his ambassadorial and testing role with Toyota will prevent him from doing other forms of racing.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 23:22 (Ref:1118489)   #21
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by jetsetter
Whenever i watched Panis i have always wondered what may have been except for that accident in '97, i believe he has far more talent than his solitary victory indicates.
Agreed. A class act Olivier is and I know he will be missed by many in F1. I'm happy for him that he gets to stay as a tester for a while longer and who knows he may get a another start or 2 before he's out of F1 entirely.