Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Oct 2004, 11:37 (Ref:1129348)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The new venue could be South Africa

On the day that BE ends his negotiations with the BRDC over Silverstone, citing another venue 'beating his door down' to hold a race, South Africa has emerged as a candidate.

A site for the South African Grand Prix has already been earmarked near Cape Town airport. The country's government is also being canvassed at the moment to waive its current ban on tobacco advertising to act as a further incentive for Ecclestone.

Although Cape Town's bid to host a race has been widely reported in the past, insiders have told autosport.com that Ecclestone is on the verge of giving official approval to the project after meeting representatives of the company bankrolling the project.

One door closes, another....

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=40399&s=5
Old 20 Oct 2004, 11:56 (Ref:1129363)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If South Africa is to have a Grand Prix, then it's time to stop Italy and Germany having two each.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 12:33 (Ref:1129398)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I have it on good authority that IRAQ will have a gp next year,already vast amounts of terrain as been landscaped (Hermann Tilke will have a field day)and no end of companies seem to be throwing money around the place(mostly Americans)but i had heard that security leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 14:12 (Ref:1129507)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 20 Oct 2004, 18:21 (Ref:1129792)   #5
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's a bit unnecessary martyn.

As for South Africa, I think it would be a cool venue. Although, there may be other possibilities. This article speculates that there could be a second race in the United States.

"It is thought that Ecclestone is negotiating terms for a new Grand Prix in the United States, it added.

Ecclestone refused to be drawn on the venue, but said that he had to end the talks on Silverstone to guarantee the new event, for which promoters were ready and willing to meet his terms, the daily said."

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html

I think Silverstone 2005 will go ahead though.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 18:27 (Ref:1129799)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
That's a bit unnecessary martyn. You think,everything is open season for Bernie Ecclestone.

As for South Africa, I think it would be a cool venue. Although, there may be other possibilities. This article speculates that there could be a second race in the United States.

"It is thought that Ecclestone is negotiating terms for a new Grand Prix in the United States, it added.

Ecclestone refused to be drawn on the venue, but said that he had to end the talks on Silverstone to guarantee the new event, for which promoters were ready and willing to meet his terms, the daily said."

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html

I think Silverstone 2005 will go ahead though.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 18:42 (Ref:1129816)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
We have races in poverty stricken countries like china and brazil and this unfortunately seems to be the way things are going,where you find poverty you'll find cigarette smokers and i'm sure Iraq has it's fare share of those.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 18:44 (Ref:1129820)   #8
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"You think,everything is open season for Bernie Ecclestone."

I didn't state that anywhere in my original post. Don't add words to my post when quoting me please.

Last edited by jhansen; 20 Oct 2004 at 18:45.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 18:57 (Ref:1129839)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Sorry about that,totally unintentional.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 18:59 (Ref:1129844)   #10
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
No worries, thanks.