Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 May 2006, 13:11 (Ref:1613464)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Mediterranean GP (corrected spelling)

Well, that's apparently the plan, to hold a Med GP in place of Hockenheim/Nurburg/Spa (the Euro financial strugglers, basically).

It's a toss-up between France's Paul Ricard or Spain's Valencia. Valencia have had a hefty track upgrade (or atleast have one in line) and Ricard are claiming they could quite easily hold a race now.

This is the part that really interested me, though...

Ricard have suggested the idea of a 'VIP Race', which wouldn't include having fans there.

Don't quite know what to make of that. Could be quite different, but the podium would be embarrasing.

Thoughts?

Selby
Old 18 May 2006, 16:02 (Ref:1613575)   #2
littlefarny
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
littlefarny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd imagine if this is true Paul Ricard would be the way to go, they get through some serious miles there in testing.
Old 18 May 2006, 16:14 (Ref:1613580)   #3
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Ricard doesnt have any stands for spectators as you said and it would be just stupid to race there. BTW the Nürburgring is not struggling it's only Hockenheim.

Last edited by flor; 18 May 2006 at 16:19.
Old 18 May 2006, 16:41 (Ref:1613592)   #4
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the reason Paul Ricard was not on the calendar was because it was considered too fast by the FIA, in its long form. In its short form it is only good for small GT races with Porsches.

It has been a test track for years now, and as much as I like the track, I think it would be a huge backward step for F1 to race there.

Slightly off-topic:
Has anyone else noticed that the moment we started the European leg of the F1 season, passing has become almost non-existent.

The last few races have been a complete waste of time, and have done nothing to benefit F1.

I think all of the European tracks currently on the schedule need to be changed.

The newer tracks, are certainly providing a lot more passing and race action.
Old 18 May 2006, 17:20 (Ref:1613614)   #5
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flor
BTW the Nürburgring is not struggling it's only Hockenheim.
Aaah damn you itv-f1...

Selby
Old 18 May 2006, 19:25 (Ref:1613698)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
A GP for the priveleged few.A great way to drive away the "real" F1 fan IMO.

Not just MO either.http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=28073

Last edited by Marbot; 18 May 2006 at 19:27.
Old 18 May 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1613712)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think there is a great irony here, that when Bernie comes out and criticises Alonso for not doing enough as a champion for the sport and the fans, he then gives consideration to a VIP exclusive race! Hmmm....

I doubt this will happen. At least, I hope not!
Old 18 May 2006, 19:41 (Ref:1613718)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Could be a non-championship race where the stakes are actually very high.And "The great unwashed" can buy the highlights on DVD.If you thought Formula one was for the people,think again.

Last edited by Marbot; 18 May 2006 at 19:44.
Old 18 May 2006, 20:23 (Ref:1613751)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
... "The great unwashed"...

nice!
Old 19 May 2006, 14:14 (Ref:1614240)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Barcelona and Imola are always snoozes, that's true, but there are plenty of classic circuits in Europe, Spa and Silverstone in particular are always thrillers.

An extra southern Europe Grand Prix might be worth considering, but neither Paul Ricard (no spectator facilities) nor Valencia (too slow and tight for F1 racing) are ideal. Maybe Estoril?
Old 19 May 2006, 14:18 (Ref:1614245)   #11
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There was a discussion in NISS not so long ago that F1 would not be suitable at Valencia, as the GP2 cars looked too big and powerful around there....
Old 19 May 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1614265)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What about... Jerez??
Old 19 May 2006, 19:28 (Ref:1614413)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1 wouldn't be suitable for valencia if you wanted an interesting race that's for sure.

However, the cars aren't too big and powerful for the track. Otherwise they wouldn't test there...
Old 19 May 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1614422)   #14
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

A GP where rich folk go and stand around what is essentially an ugly stripey test track?!!

nah, I'd still go to Monaco if I were a money flaunter. It has a better ring to it.
Old 19 May 2006, 19:54 (Ref:1614430)   #15
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
What about... Jerez??
The FIA had a falling out with Jerez in '97 as the local mayor entered the podium celebrations and it was threatned that Jerez would not be allocated a race again. I've no idea whether this was serious or something that was said in the heat of the moment.

With regard to a Mediterranean Grand Prix, then Valencia is just not suited to F1 and Paul Ricard is just plain daft. That said, the circuit is owned by Bernie Ecclestone, who I don't believe hold spectators in high regard, so maybe anything is possible.

Personally, I would like to see Estoril return to the schedule, although if either Nurburgring or Hockenheim stop holding F1, then this frees up the European GP tag, so perhaps there are more possible venues.
Old 19 May 2006, 22:15 (Ref:1614527)   #16
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they might as well race at Enna Pergusa, that's on an island in the Mediterranean...
Old 19 May 2006, 23:21 (Ref:1614554)   #17
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to have Paul Ricard on the calendar BUT only if Bernie builds grandstands for spectators-& I'm thinking seating for 60000+, & if it is in place of Magny-Cours as the French GP. We don't need a Mediterranean GP & a VIP GP would be a huge nail in the coffin for F1 from a spectators point of view.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 19 May 2006, 23:25 (Ref:1614556)   #18
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Um... they build temporary grandstands for a lot of circuits on the calender already.

Melbourne, Canada, Monaco ?
Old 20 May 2006, 10:00 (Ref:1614749)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Most circuits have temporary grandstands, apart from the newer ones.

Silverstone for example, has lots of them.

On the subject of Paul Ricard, do we really want an F1 race where every mistake would go unpunished on what is basically a barren plot of tarmac with horrible coloured paint everywhere?
Old 20 May 2006, 10:03 (Ref:1614751)   #20
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You'd be thinking you're on some kind of LSD trip while watching the race, cool huh?
Old 20 May 2006, 15:24 (Ref:1614916)   #21
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
F1 wouldn't be suitable for valencia if you wanted an interesting race that's for sure.

However, the cars aren't too big and powerful for the track. Otherwise they wouldn't test there...
True, however having not been there (and having passed on a second hand quote!) I don't know so much!

I wouldn't really want to see a race at Paul Ricard, better to keep it as a test venue.
Old 20 May 2006, 17:44 (Ref:1615067)   #22
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Can we just have *Spa* back please and just keep Paul Ricard as a test facility..
Old 20 May 2006, 18:11 (Ref:1615084)   #23
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Can we just have *Spa* back please and just keep Paul Ricard as a test facility..
Surely posh people would rather look at tarmac covered in blue lines than the scenery surronding Spa Francorchamps?

vs

Old 20 May 2006, 18:13 (Ref:1615089)   #24
pdman
Racer

New Zealand
Napier
pdman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Don't we already have that with Monoco
Old 20 May 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1615135)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdman
Don't we already have that with Monoco
Some of the "Great unwashed" have managed to get tickets for that event.