Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 1 Jun 2006, 10:13 (Ref:1624467)   #26
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Iv'e entered now. Always wanted to do the Rock and I ain't getting no younger, too good an oppertunity to miss, I hope it comes off.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 1 Jun 2006 at 10:15.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1624604)   #27
Dex
Racer

Dex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The link didn't work for me - what dates is this?

I'm very interested in coming along to get pics now that i hear Al is going
Old 1 Jun 2006, 14:24 (Ref:1624610)   #28
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex
The link didn't work for me - what dates is this?
Sunday 25th June
Old 1 Jun 2006, 15:46 (Ref:1624692)   #29
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
The link works OK but it is a big file, be patient Dex.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 17:12 (Ref:1624758)   #30
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now all I have to do is finish the car........
Old 1 Jun 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1624772)   #31
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Come on Rob you don't want me beating you by default again now do you?
Old 1 Jun 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1624812)   #32
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My "boy" had disappeared in search of the Guinness brewery before the bank holiday, and I didn't know if he'd be back.... but he is, and that free's me up a little, so I can spend the day I need to change the second head gasket, and get the animal sorted. It may also allow me enough time to get a test in before hand, and make the wheels all point in the right direction and the right sort of angles, as it sits now, there's not enough caster, or static camber.

I also need to get some more springs as the ones I have are too long, they're wound as low as they can go, and the car still sits up like a Range Rover!!

I'm hoping to spend a little time on it tomorrow if I can slope off early enough......

Oh to be a rich man and get someone else to do the work for me!

That reminds me, sponsors to fettle....

Rob.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 18:40 (Ref:1624816)   #33
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe it's an open test day on the Friday before the event (23rd June) too - not sure what the cost is. Details must be on BRSCC site somewhere (I can't find them though)

Rob and Al - if we happen to meet over the weekends racing, promise you won't blame me! ('Cos we're only likely to meet if you've rubbed the wall or visited the kitty litter)
Old 1 Jun 2006, 18:40 (Ref:1624817)   #34
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Cut the springs down half a coil Rob. DOn't worry squirrel we know the risks.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 1 Jun 2006 at 18:46.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1624930)   #35
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Cut the springs down half a coil Rob.
Not a good idea if they're too hefty already, it'll increase the rate.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 09:31 (Ref:1625285)   #36
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
No need to go too mad then should be OK, what rate currently (hihack sorry but bumps the post anyhow!)
Old 2 Jun 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1625463)   #37
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Sod it, just realised the date will be the final for the winners of Group B World Cup (yeah that one) and England are in that group, I hate the game and know where I would rather be and I will still go provided it happens but me helpers will want to watch guaranteed. Lets hope they lay something on at the circuit. I think its a late 5am kick off.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 14:22 (Ref:1625489)   #38
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
As swear words are not allowed on here, I'll keep quiet.

Just took the right hand head off, and there are four unhappy pistons in there, so entry pulled. And with my workload, looks like the rest of the season is shaky for the Belmont. Got till 5th August to sort it.

Rob.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 14:47 (Ref:1625507)   #39
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh dear Rob thats not good at all.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 14:48 (Ref:1625508)   #40
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Bloody hell Rob looks like I will be going round on me own. Those 400 engines are fragile, powerful but fragile and I know because I blew three of them. They are just too marginal at 4.25" siamesed bores IMHO opinion, get them hot and bang, the gasket blows and detonates the pistons. Did exactly that on a dyno just because it was a tad too far advanced. I seriously cooked my 350 in the yellow car at Snett this year when it threw a belt and I thought I must have done the head gasket, but no she was fine touch wood.

Got a lovely 305 here fully rebuilt with new everything, be under 300bhp but at least it will be reliable :-)

Last edited by Al Weyman; 2 Jun 2006 at 14:51.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 16:24 (Ref:1625557)   #41
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Dont forget Al, my engine is Chevy only in that it's heads and intake are chevy!! The block is a Dart Race Series (Spread-rail), which can accomodate a big throw crank allowing a capacity of 455ci. And it's 4.135" bore, with a 3.75" throw on the crank. It can go to 4.190 bore, with a 4.125 stroke!!

It's piston detonation that's caused the problems here, and it stems back to the first run it had on a dyno over here in the UK, where it was detonating quite badly on the right bank (left if you stand in front of the motor!).
Since then, I had the crowns machined on the pistons to remove the dome, and take a further 15thou off to get it down to 12:1 comp ratio. I'm assuming that the pistons were weakened on the dyno, and they've just given up now there's less meat in the crown.

I've got new pistons ordered, which should be here in 3 weeks. They won't be quite so funky with gas ports, but they'll be stronger and I'm going to hone the block out .040 so it'll be all fresh as a daisy.

It never ceases to amaze me that the price of 8 pistons for this animal is less than two for my 1600 Nova!

Happy days.

The Pubs open...

Rob.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 17:55 (Ref:1625599)   #42
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well that was exactly the reason mine was fragile, using 5.7" rods in a 400 block and crank and had to machine the piston crowns doen or they pop out the top! This set up reduces the land area too much and causes trouble. See one of those blocks last Sunday I think!
Old 2 Jun 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1625697)   #43
nyssa7
Racer

nyssa7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They did something similar last October - amazing racing in front of full stands, maybe 20,000 people rather than the 20 or so that usually watch clubbies

Thought the track was level from watching the BTCC cars round there, then found its fairly hilly, not quite like Brands, but enough to add to the fun. The banking is challenging, and you'll need good brakes!

Gutted that I can't make this - need to take summer out for engine development
Old 2 Jun 2006, 21:03 (Ref:1625719)   #44
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
And do you think I'm gutted nyssa7......

Al, my block is taller than a normal 400, hence the ability to run up to a 4.125 throw.

Next race for me will be August 5th at Donington. Fingers crossed.
Old 3 Jun 2006, 07:48 (Ref:1625974)   #45
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Al, my block is taller than a normal 400,
Really, then definitely should not have been seen where I thought I see one :-(.

Any update on anyone who has actually or is considering entering.
Old 3 Jun 2006, 23:40 (Ref:1626370)   #46
phansa88
Racer

England
gravesend
phansa88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Havent made my mind up the £150 for two races seems a lot better value than . Going all the way down to castle combe for the DTRS .Now the top mounts are done just got to get the tracking sorted out for lydden.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 10:28 (Ref:1628349)   #47
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
5 entries so far and still two weeks to go before closing date, come on guys lets make this happen, it looks like a good un to me! Penelope Pitstop you were saying you liked a bargain on another thread, are you up for it!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 6 Jun 2006 at 10:31.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 11:11 (Ref:1628384)   #48
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry its nice to feel wanted ... but ... I am At MGCC Silverstone (my favorite event of the year) doing 2 "Enduro" races on the International Circut format. There was a similar offer last year at Rockingham which I took advantage of and was made to feel very welcome, dispite causing a Red Flag in practice.
If there is something similar on offer for the July and August "Thunder Sundays" I would be very very interested.
I am surprised that a race on the support bill for "Thunder Sunday" has only attracted 5 entries so far, apart from MGCC and this are there other clubs offering good value for money that weekend?
Old 6 Jun 2006, 13:01 (Ref:1628499)   #49
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thats a shame Penelope.

I had an email from Jamie at the BRSCC and apparently the Alfas are at Snett that weekend and the Fords are at Mallory the following weekend which is not helping, he hopes some of the LMA boys may be up for it after their race the previous weekend. Also whats probably not helping is the clash with that footie thing as the winner of Group B (Englands group) will be kicking off at 5pm. Maybe Rockingham will be laying something on, who knows? Worst way I am sure they will have it on in the bars.

I'm only 'available' (makes me sound important does'nt it:-)) because the CTRCC have going to France the following weekend and I can't shut my business for so long and they won't be out again till August which is not the best calender planning I have seen I must confess.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1628507)   #50
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Also whats probably not helping is the clash with that footie thing as the winner of Group B (Englands group) will be kicking off at 5pm

Glad to see someone has a bucketfull of opptimisum