Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 16 Jun 2006, 05:22 (Ref:1635607)   #51
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's another reason why I used to carry a calibrated Lucas CEL sound level meter. That gave me a reference reading. I stopped carrying it with the Nova when I purchased one of Joe Ellis' (BTB) systems, and it came in at 94dB, and gained me 4bhp on the rollers compared to the hotchpotch bunch of tubework that had evolved on the car over a few years. It's still on the car now, and it's 12 years old.

Rob.
Old 16 Jun 2006, 06:09 (Ref:1635618)   #52
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
likewise my car, its not noisy onthe drive by but i've been noised tested everywhere between 96 and 106db this year!

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 16 Jun 2006, 07:35 (Ref:1635639)   #53
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I was fitting the second Joe Ellis silencer at the weekend and this thing must be what 10 years old and has stood outside in the yard fot the last couple of years and I was amazed at how good condition it was still in even inside.

Graham, another factor that may effect entries especially after last nights win is the World Cup. England will be playing now that weekend and I don't think it helps. I think I am going to have trouble getting helpers for the Thunder Sunday meeting and it would have been impossible for a whole weekend and I would have been doing the whole thing meself without help and its getting damned hard work now.

I love getting my yellow car noise tested as it has twin side exiting exhausts, now that really baffles them (not to use a pun of course), how on earth can you get an accurate measurment with the standard method of measuring, i.e. a probe one metre from the exiting exhaust (which one?)! It comes in at the low 90's everytime:-)

Last edited by Al Weyman; 16 Jun 2006 at 07:38.
Old 16 Jun 2006, 08:01 (Ref:1635650)   #54
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with twin outlets the blue book says test both and take the figure for the loudest one,

i too have twin exhausts one either side of the car, the scruits only ever test the o/s one, but i guess thats because thats the one they see immediatly after asking me to rev the engine to the pop bang misffire zone! my engine hates 5000ish rpm off load and probably would noise test quieter if testing was done at 7000K

Old 16 Jun 2006, 09:36 (Ref:1635695)   #55
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
But even that is no good as the loudest will still be quiteter than the two together if they came out the same side if you get my drift.
Old 16 Jun 2006, 10:55 (Ref:1635729)   #56
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
i thinks so Al, maybe.......

my reasoning for two outlets on different sides of the car is that only half the total amount of noise is ever available to be tested, and it looks pretty cool to when in "flame mode"

but what ever i'm about to fit a 3rd silencer, and will be pretty ***** off is i have a noise problem at combe as its got through noise everywhere else this year, ok one or two scruits saying its a bit boarderline when testing, but EVERYONE including the noise men say its quiet on circuit, so with another silencer i shouldn't have a problem????

Last edited by graham bahr; 16 Jun 2006 at 10:58.

Old 16 Jun 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1635818)   #57
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seem's to me its noise and entry fee's that seem to get drivers backs up!

One thing all of you guy's have to remember is combe had these tight noise restrictions imposed on them by the local council its not something the circuit enjoy's as point out by Paul v.

If the Great and british package entry fee is more expensive than you'd normally pay take it up with the organisers of your championship it seems pretty pointless having a slot on the package if drivers are going to moan about the cost of doing it or deciding to go elsewhere and not support something that must have been agreed with is members at the start of the year.

As for the package itself it still needs work many spectators want quick fire races not long [40 min] yawns, Powertour had the it right and the crowds supported it i doubt this new package will attract the crowds we had at combe for the GT/F3 meetings.
Old 16 Jun 2006, 16:17 (Ref:1635926)   #58
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer
It seem's to me its noise and entry fee's that seem to get drivers backs up!

One thing all of you guy's have to remember is combe had these tight noise restrictions imposed on them by the local council its not something the circuit enjoy's as point out by Paul v.

i wasn't having a dig at combe, i realise its a very noise sensative venue, and that my car might be be slightly too loud for a static noise test, which means no racing, even if it isn't noisy on a drive by.

the real problem with noise is that testing seems so inconsistant, you do 3 or 4 events well under the noise limit, then the next one your over it!
this year i have noised tested as low as 95db, and as high as 105-106db, same car, same exhaust, same revs, thats just not possible

Old 16 Jun 2006, 16:45 (Ref:1635939)   #59
andypipe
Veteran

England
Essex
andypipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham bahr
i wasn't having a dig at combe, i realise its a very noise sensative venue, and that my car might be be slightly too loud for a static noise test, which means no racing, even if it isn't noisy on a drive by.

the real problem with noise is that testing seems so inconsistant, you do 3 or 4 events well under the noise limit, then the next one your over it!
this year i have noised tested as low as 95db, and as high as 105-106db, same car, same exhaust, same revs, thats just not possible
Ask to see a copy of the sound meter calibration cert if you get a high reading.

I would love to be at coombe, but have a diff that aint working, so thats away being repaired, plus the little lady decided that was i great weekend to go to Majorca. silly cow.
Old 16 Jun 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1636034)   #60
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bah thats a shame Andy...majorca is nice at this time of year though!
Old 17 Jun 2006, 09:31 (Ref:1636200)   #61
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Denham, Bedfordshire
Flat Out Farr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to be at Combe, but the engine went bang at Lydden!
We are taking this opportunity to get it re-built properly, as the previous owner had 2 different types of pistons in it, the wrong cam for a Turbo engine etc. In fact, there is a good chance that, if you live in the Leicester area, you may see a guy walking very funny due to the fact that he has had the cam inserted where the sun doesn't shine!! You have to watch out for these slime balls that sell race cars, purporting to be the dogs, and turn out to be a dog! Whinge over!
Old 17 Jun 2006, 12:41 (Ref:1636264)   #62
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thats tough Flat out, I thought (as did Graham) that the valve incident was very suspect and looked to me like a poor bit of engine building hence my simplistic remark about a clout with a hammer on the valve stem to make sure the collets bedded correctly as this builder seems a complete div.

I have come across this before where guys have been tucked up when buying a secondhand race car, one incidence when the buyer went to collect the car (a famous old Commodore) was on the ramp having a hasty shocker change and the new owner could never get within 5 seconds of the cars previous time. The lesson to be learnt, buy the car at the track there and then when it has either raced or tested against the clock in front of you. Do not let the guy take it home or take their word for it even if you have to pay for a Mallory session or something it will be worth it.
Old 17 Jun 2006, 15:39 (Ref:1636321)   #63
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham bahr

Wasn't saying you were graham far from it i can understand that test's seem to differ circuit to circuit,if you're 108 or under then you'd be fine anyway.

Combe's rebate system seem's to be working for its own championships as all three seem to have entries of 25 + which is superb so all get some cash back and we've noticed the differance with new championships visiting the circuit not the same old stuff the brscc used to offer the circuit,i can only see the circuit going from strength to strength good on them i say
Old 17 Jun 2006, 16:43 (Ref:1636348)   #64
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
I hold my hands up to your's and Graham's better knowledge. I guess i didn't want to admit that I may have been had over. Sorry for being so stubborn and not listening to greater experienced racers. Take that as me eating humble pie! Trouble is, I want to get back and race again. I realised the buzz that I had been missing.
Old 17 Jun 2006, 17:44 (Ref:1636366)   #65
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I'm not a lover of turbos anyhow as I have seen them break too many racers hearts (and wallets). Is Roland Hayes of HT still around I bet he could sort it out.
Old 18 Jun 2006, 10:43 (Ref:1636609)   #66
richard brent
Rookie

richard brent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

HI Guys
Does anyone have any spare tickets that I can beg, borrow or steal??!! I would be very apppreciative, I'M SURE BEER COULD CHANGE HANDS!
Richard
Old 18 Jun 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1636662)   #67
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
grichie87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Out Farr
I hold my hands up to your's and Graham's better knowledge. I guess i didn't want to admit that I may have been had over. Sorry for being so stubborn and not listening to greater experienced racers. Take that as me eating humble pie! Trouble is, I want to get back and race again. I realised the buzz that I had been missing.
Sorry to hear to hear you have had your trouses pulled down, still it is now a chance to get the car sorted a blessing maybe?
Get it built properly and with some proper bit inside. The B19 membership team will have to check with you about paying full price!!!
Borris
Old 18 Jun 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1636667)   #68
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
I totally agree with you.
It could be worse.....
Last year we were in France, and look what fun that turned out to be.
However it was cheaper to go to France!!! but I take your point. Will have a look at the piggy bank and maybe re think.
Borris
Old 18 Jun 2006, 13:22 (Ref:1636668)   #69
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard brent
HI Guys
Does anyone have any spare tickets that I can beg, borrow or steal??!! I would be very apppreciative, I'M SURE BEER COULD CHANGE HANDS!
Richard
If I go maybe able to help
Graham 87
Old 18 Jun 2006, 13:25 (Ref:1636669)   #70
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza
Hmmms. All these excuses! Some of us will be there til the bitter end of the meeting, thats 3 more not particularly short races and then have to drive back home, also its not really all that far away!

This is the only "away" meeting we have...come out to play!
See reply to Shawn will re think, D'oh
Graham87
Old 18 Jun 2006, 18:00 (Ref:1636726)   #71
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Think Roland maybe eating porridge in Spain, but I will not go there, as that subject has been on the web before, and it is obviously a very touchy subject; hope the rumour is untrue though. Nuff said. Arron @ HT has been suggested by one of the Borough 19 Mafia!
Old 18 Jun 2006, 18:23 (Ref:1636742)   #72
peenuts
Rookie

France
peenuts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
chris im sure some of b19 could look over your car but which ones im not too sure ?
Old 18 Jun 2006, 18:59 (Ref:1636765)   #73
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As it's a turbo, talk to Harvey Gibb in Peterborough.

Be that a lesson to ye!

Rob.
Old 18 Jun 2006, 19:16 (Ref:1636773)   #74
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Rob, have you any contact nos etc?
can you e-mail me them to chris@flatoutfarr.co.uk
Old 18 Jun 2006, 19:22 (Ref:1636775)   #75
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Luckily I know the motley lot from B19. There is a wealth of experience amongst them, as well as a bunch of serious mickey takers! Spend an evening with Denzel, Grichie87, "Have I got a deal for you" Beer, and "another pie" Newton, and you will have a good laugh!