Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jul 2011, 11:25 (Ref:2929380)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Chandhok in at Lotus

Karun Chandhok will be driving for Lotus at the German Grand Prix.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/0...s-for-germany/

I got some nice footage of him on my camera talking at the Post-Grand Prix party at Silverstone about him having to force Kovalainen or Trulli to get the "Delhi Belly" in India in order to get a race drive. Now it looks like he doesn't have to.

Trulli is out. Jarno is one of Formula 1's most confusing drivers for me. He was beating Alonso at Renault at one time for Christ's sake, but he has been lacklustre for a long while.

Note the official line is that Trulli will sign another contract with them, so it might be a temporary thing.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 11:43 (Ref:2929384)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Certainly sounds temporary.

Shame - I'd like to see Chandhok/Kovy line-up for next season. I really don't see much purpose in Trulli continuing.

Selby
Old 21 Jul 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2929388)   #3
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone think I would be miles off target if I suggested Trulli's new deal at Lotus would likely be in a test driver/advisory role?
With Lotus replacing him (even for just one race) when he isn't ill or injured says to me that they're evaluating a potential replacement for next year.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 12:15 (Ref:2929398)   #4
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't see how this could be anything other than a backwards step and PR stunt
Old 21 Jul 2011, 12:39 (Ref:2929410)   #5
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why? Trulli has frequently been off Kovalainen's pace (at least in qualifying) and Heikki isn't the most stellar F1 driver. Chandhok beat Bruno Senna who came into F1 rather highly rated considering his lack of experience.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 12:44 (Ref:2929412)   #6
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Chandhok is dog slow and inexperienced. Jarno might have been having a poor season by his standards but at least he was competitive relative to Heikki and he has experience as well

Don't read anything into last year. With all the goings-on behind the scenes, I don't think it's a useful barometer for either driver. I like Karun as he's a nice guy but let's not let that detract from the truth - he's a classic pay driver who will be some distance off Kovalainen on Saturday and Sunday
Old 21 Jul 2011, 12:48 (Ref:2929414)   #7
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I don't see how this could be anything other than a backwards step and PR stunt
Ditto.

Castrol driver ranking number 1442 - probably a bit generous!
Old 21 Jul 2011, 13:01 (Ref:2929422)   #8
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Do you think Bruno Senna is dog slow? (Just a general question, not some kind of comment).
Old 21 Jul 2011, 13:08 (Ref:2929425)   #9
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Ditto.

Castrol driver ranking number 1442 - probably a bit generous!
wow someone actually looks at those rankings......

"racer who hasnt raced for a year in poor ranking shocker"
Old 21 Jul 2011, 13:14 (Ref:2929430)   #10
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Sadly, I don't think that either of them are currently suitable candidates for F1 based on merit.
Maybe given time and some experience in lower series.
Senna however would appear to be the better bet.

Up to now imo neither of them has had any F1 experience anyway. Sadly.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 13:17 (Ref:2929432)   #11
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Certainly sounds temporary.

Shame - I'd like to see Chandhok/Kovy line-up for next season. I really don't see much purpose in Trulli continuing.

Selby
Wouldn't argue with your final statement but then again what purpose is there in having Chandhok in? Surely there are better?
Old 21 Jul 2011, 13:25 (Ref:2929436)   #12
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, of course.

But there's an Indian GP coming up. I wrote this on a blog site as a response:

"I think I look at it more like this:

Karun’s going to be driving in India. It makes no sense (from a business POV) to NOT put him in there for that. Whether we agree with that on a talent perspective is a complete side-issue in this day and age of F1.

Karun’s had little to no time in that car (for reasons he can only blame on himself in some cases, admittedly), so he needs some true preparation for that race. Sure, it’d be good to just field an Indian at the Indian GP. But why not try and add a bit of competitiveness to that?

It’s the first Indian GP, it’s a new track. We may have incidents/some unknown quantities. Who knows, some race prep for Karun could be the difference between loitering in the midfield or perhaps scoring an extremely valuable point…"

Selby
Old 21 Jul 2011, 13:26 (Ref:2929437)   #13
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Trulli can't gel with the Lotus as it is and I'm sure he'd prefer being out of the car [until the steering issue has been adjusted to his liking] than being humiliated week in week out.

Shoving Chandhok in solves the problem above and pre-empts publicity for Lotus in the run up to India.

Seems fairly logical to me.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 13:28 (Ref:2929439)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Trulli has admitted to struggling with the current power steering on the car, there is a new power steering system scheduled for Hungary. Given that they know Trulli wouldn't be getting the most out of the car (and Chandhok needs a run ahead of the Indian GP) then now is the best time to put him in.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 13:43 (Ref:2929446)   #15
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chandhok's intent on making it a full deal for 2012:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93205
Old 21 Jul 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2929461)   #16
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Do you think Bruno Senna is dog slow? (Just a general question, not some kind of comment).
Given that the last time he was in equal machinery with Karun he was consistently much faster and annihilated him in points, no
Old 21 Jul 2011, 16:36 (Ref:2929478)   #17
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

What about the Hispania?
Old 21 Jul 2011, 17:43 (Ref:2929494)   #18
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, we'll get another chance to have a little look at how dog slow he is now. One of race at the mo of course, but I would like to see how well he can go.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2929495)   #19
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
What about the Hispania?
Exactly - it's a pretty open secret that Chandhok was getting preferential treatment, because he was (supposed to be) bringing in the sponsorship to pay for it all. That's why you shouldn't read anything into it - unless you look at it that Bruno was still able to match and beat Karun despite having poorer equipment
Old 21 Jul 2011, 18:25 (Ref:2929512)   #20
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree with jab, at what point did Karun get the better of Bruno last year? At a quick glance Bruno out qualified Karun 7-2, by over 1 sec at Monaco as i recall, looks like Bruno did the better job on that basis, especially if Karun had first dibs on the rare new bits that went onto the HRT's last year.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2929543)   #21
danoli
Rookie

danoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest I would be very surprised if Chandhok manages to do a better job than Trulli, I think it is just a test for him before lotus updated their power steering from budapest, which should show what Trulli is really capable of.

I also doubt he'll get a drive in 2012, even if he brings sponsorship, except in maybe a Hispania or a Virgin, seeing as there are so many up and coming talents in GP2 and FR3.5.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 19:59 (Ref:2929553)   #22
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've met & worked with Karun a couple of times and he is a lovely bloke, his passion for the sport is 2nd to none (even on the weekend of getting dropped from HRT last year he still went to the F3 races at Rockingham).
He is no '90s level pay driver, but he is not an F1 level driver.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 04:04 (Ref:2929672)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So when is 1Malaysia announcing Solangol and Mark Webber for 2012?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 22 Jul 2011, 13:56 (Ref:2929793)   #24
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Hopefully he'll confound indications to date. He's alot to prove and not alot of time to do it.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 09:04 (Ref:2930351)   #25
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just happy for the guy. Even if he's not the quickest race driver out there, I like him and glad to see him back in an F1 car. I hope he gets a full deal and a season to prove himself. It's easy to write a driver off when they're new to the sport or when they've had few races, but you get some drivers who take longer to hit their stride than others.

Case in point is Vitaly Petrov. He wasn't exactly a superstar for most of his first season, but with some time to get settled he's proven himself a solid F1 driver. Maybe Karun will be the same. Maybe not. Either way, good for him to get the opportunity.