Old 1 Oct 2009, 15:23 (Ref:2551996)   #1
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi 1.8T 150 to 180bhp differences

Hi!

I have got an Audi 1.8T engine from 1998 what was sold here in Argentina in the 150bhp version. I would like to know what are the differences between this engine and the later 180bhp version.

Are the engine internals way different? I can simply remap and change boost pressure to achieve 180bhp?

Thanks in advance!
Old 1 Oct 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2552271)   #2
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My understanding is the pistons, turbo, intercooler and ECU is diffrent, but I cant be sure, best bet is to head over to a Audi/VW owners Fourm they maybe be able to help better, (sorry if I've broke fourm rules) sorry I cant be any more help than that.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 01:16 (Ref:2552397)   #3
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
A good idea Mike. If you break the forums rules was maybe cause of my stupid question
Thanks a lot
Old 2 Oct 2009, 15:30 (Ref:2552720)   #4
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Wooshy View Post
(sorry if I've broke fourm rules)

(Looks other way and whistles...)

Not a problem as far as I'm concerned, all you're doing is steering him in the direction of the information he needs, you're not actually promoting anotehr forum as such
Old 11 Oct 2009, 02:11 (Ref:2558661)   #5
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://germancarwiki.com/doku.php/vag/1.8t

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 16 Oct 2009, 12:54 (Ref:2562695)   #6
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryos View Post
Thank you very much!
Old 20 Oct 2009, 07:59 (Ref:2565201)   #7
johnny99
Rookie

Ireland
Killucan, Ireland
johnny99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both have the same internals, and turbocharger. Some have different injectors, depending on what the engine is coming out of. All 150 bhp engines can be mapped to produce 180 +. Look at REVO. The only difference really is the ecu

John
Old 28 Oct 2009, 14:58 (Ref:2571489)   #8
The Shrew
Rookie

England
Cheshire
The Shrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the 150 and 180 are the same apart from the ecu. They can be mapped pretty cheap and are reliable when done as long as you dont go to far 180 is fine.

Have a look at Rtech website they have a very good reputation with VAG owners.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 08:47 (Ref:2571868)   #9
johnny99
Rookie

Ireland
Killucan, Ireland
johnny99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All 150 and 180 Bhp models can be mapped to 200+. The limiting factor is KO3/KO3s turbocharger. We have run a few to 300 bhp with forged pistons, anything above needs rods. The cranks are very strong. The KO4 will fit into a Golf and TT, but not on the Ibiza as the engine mount is in the wrong place.

John
Old 14 Jun 2010, 14:29 (Ref:2711953)   #10
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Hi, after a long while, thanks for those answers!

Im having problems with that engine right now. It has 153.500kms in the clock (96.000 miles) and the engine is consuming oil. (1 liter every 5000km)

Every time I use it and stop the engine there is burned oil smell.

A month ago it started failing like in 3 cylinders and my mechanic said it was a lambda sensor error, it was misreading cause it was dirty (oil) he cleaned it and the engine started working OK again.

He also detected a couple of spark plugs "oiled".

Now I dont know if I should ask him to dismantle it to see how piston rings are (very expensive) or if it just may be a valve guide leak or the valve cover gasket that leaks oil to the spark plug compartment and it gets through the thread.

Audi spares are really expensive arround here and I dont know if it would be better to sell that car...
Old 14 Jun 2010, 15:16 (Ref:2711982)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belatti View Post
Hi, after a long while, thanks for those answers!

Im having problems with that engine right now. It has 153.500kms in the clock (96.000 miles) and the engine is consuming oil. (1 liter every 5000km)

Every time I use it and stop the engine there is burned oil smell.

A month ago it started failing like in 3 cylinders and my mechanic said it was a lambda sensor error, it was misreading cause it was dirty (oil) he cleaned it and the engine started working OK again.

He also detected a couple of spark plugs "oiled".

Now I dont know if I should ask him to dismantle it to see how piston rings are (very expensive) or if it just may be a valve guide leak or the valve cover gasket that leaks oil to the spark plug compartment and it gets through the thread.

Audi spares are really expensive arround here and I dont know if it would be better to sell that car...
I had a 98 1.8T and on mine around that mileage a sensor failed causing it to run on 3 cylinders. $500 fix.

With the turbo on these cars one mistake people make is after driving not letting the car idle for 30 seconds to let the turbo get cooled down a bit.

One thing with these engines and the turbo is I would definitely run a synthetic oil in them no matter the cost. The Audi techs I have talked to say 5w 40 is the best to use.

Also the valve cover gasket is weak on these cars and again fails often around that mileage and if you want to keep the car you might want to identify exactly where the leaking oil is coming from for sure and then fix it.

The great thing about these cars is that they are great to drive and Audi engineered the car to work well but put no thought into repair or maintenance so as long as you are willing to sink money into repairs every year they do run well.

The other weakness is the 8 control arms and tie rod ends.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 15:24 (Ref:2711990)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also Belatti check the Audi world forums in the B5 chassis section(1996-2001 A4) as they have a wealth of info and usually someone has had the same problem you have had in the past. It used to help me out a lot self diagnose problems:

http://forums.audiworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1
Old 14 Jun 2010, 15:32 (Ref:2711993)   #13
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
thanks man! Ill tell you what happens then...