Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 3 Jul 2003, 12:12 (Ref:650772)   #1
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Briggs Cunningham R.I.P

www.grandprix.com/ns/ns11434.html

He was the first, and the best, in my book.

He will be missed.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 12:51 (Ref:650844)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Those cars (especially) the Jags in Cunningham colours looked amazing.

A proper racer.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 12:54 (Ref:650851)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Briggs S. Cunningham 1907-2003

I wanted to say farewell and rest in peace, to a remarkable pioneer. Briggs Cunningham probably did more than anyone else to foster interest in road racing in America in the 1940s. His efforts with cars of his own make made the USA aware of Le Mans as a competition of note.

He truly was a remarkable person, a fine racer, an astute businessman and manager and by all accounts a thoroughbly likeable man.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 14:30 (Ref:650947)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Made it to 96 as well. Some interesting cars were produced by his team. The Healey Cadillac f'rinstance.
Old 4 Jul 2003, 13:52 (Ref:652318)   #5
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Briggs Swift Cunningham, R.I.P.

From the Grand Am website comes news of the passing at age 96 or Briggs Cunningham.

Le Mans entrant and then car builder. A founder of Sports Car Club of America. Winner of yachting's America's Cup.

Without Briggs, American road racing may have never developed to the level it has.

Rest in Peace, Briggs Cunningham!
Old 4 Jul 2003, 18:30 (Ref:652590)   #6
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
A proud part of US racing history!
Old 4 Jul 2003, 18:45 (Ref:652605)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, great thunderous Le Mans cars. The magnificent 1952 C4RK coupe driven by Walters and Carter, which sadly retired, is my favourite Cunningham. Just thought you'd like to know!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 5 Jul 2003, 09:32 (Ref:653130)   #8
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad news, another piece of US motorsport history is gone, but will not be forgotten.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 17:53 (Ref:654042)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP, Briggs. You paved the way for all of us. Thank you.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 18:11 (Ref:655058)   #10
Nick M
Rookie

Nick M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Winner of yachting's America's Cup
Well I never !! Didn't realise that to be honest (and I'm a sailor as well as a motor racing fan).

Ditto to the final sentiment as well.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 18:28 (Ref:655082)   #11
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Jack Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God speed Briggs. R.I.P.
Old 7 Jul 2003, 18:35 (Ref:655091)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=40450

I read the chapter on Cunningham in Alan Henry's "Driving Forces, 50 men who shaped the world of motorsport", last night. Great stuff.
Quote:
Driving Forces, 50 men who shaped the world of motorsport
Briggs Cunningham Probably did more for the image and development of American road racing in teh post-war era than any other individual..."
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:38 (Ref:667150)   #13
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had completely missed the news of Briggs' death. While at age 96, this cannot have been completely unexpected it is important to pause and reflect on what he meant to the sport we follow. Without Briggs, the racing scene in America would have been very different, at least in the 1950s and '60s when the SCCA was beginning to grow and he represented us at LeMans. Alot of Americans owe their start in road racing to his pioneer efforts.

He will be missed but not forgotten.